Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't think you are making the point you think you're making. The last heat stroke death in D1 was at Maryland and it ended with an entire coaching staff being fired and lawsuit against the university. This is exactly what Universities are going to try and avoid. Heat stroke deaths obviously don't happy strictly because a temperature reaches a certain high, it happens because universities ignore player safety. 

I understand and agree to a point.  Maryland's coaching staff was found to be negligent.  There have been numerous other cases where it just happened- freak accident.  

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

6'4", 325 pound freshman.  Kid is arguably not in the greatest shape just based on pictures.  He is obviously overweight and hasn't been through college workouts.  He is an outlier in that he did have to go to the ER but is not admitted. 

This is speculation. It's not OK to make medical assessments based on a photo, or that we can state that he was "obviously overweight" or that he is an "outlier." 

Is 6'4" and 325 pounds as a freshman obvious signs of poor medical health, and/or an outlier for D1 linemen? 

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The support staff and faculty can wear PPE.  These kids are already the leading age group getting and passing the virus along so their families are at risk regardless of football.  Whether we have football or not, many of these kids are going to get the virus.  At least with football their life will have some structure and they will be motivated to stay covid free.

But isn't that kind of the point we're discussing? Even with PPE and structure, this is going to be a high risk situation for a lot of people. 'Just wear PPE' is sort of a flippant dismissal.

I can tell you the average kid in america right now isn't afraid of this.

To be blunt, the average kid in America also isn't acutely aware of mortality in general. That stuff doesn't register with kids. This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for their world views.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

But isn't that kind of the point we're discussing? Even with PPE and structure, this is going to be a high risk situation for a lot of people. 'Just wear PPE' is sort of a flippant dismissal.

I assumed most would understand.  Of course strict rules on distancing and contact would have to be followed but there is no reason procedures couldn't be put in place to protect staff, faculty, etc.  

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

To be blunt, the average kid in America also isn't acutely aware of mortality in general. That stuff doesn't register with kids. This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for their world views.

I would agree completely.  Playing football or not won't change this.  I would argue that football will make the lives of these players safer than if they were left on their own.

My sister who just beat breast cancer a few months ago also just beat Covid.  Said it was like having a bad cold.  Both of my parents who are in their late 70's also just got over Covid.  I was around all 3 of them and didn't get it.  Nobody know anything about anything.  It's a crab shoot. Kinda like getting in your car everyday.  You gonna get in an accident?  who knows?  Let them play.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
45 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

My sister who just beat breast cancer a few months ago also just beat Covid.  Said it was like having a bad cold.  Both of my parents who are in their late 70's also just got over Covid.  I was around all 3 of them and didn't get it.  Nobody know anything about anything.  It's a crab shoot. Kinda like getting in your car everyday.  You gonna get in an accident?  who knows?  Let them play.

2ef.jpg

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

2020, if it happens, will go down in history as basically an exhibition season. 

Just now, Hilltop said:

They don't play a game until September 26th so they will hold regular practices for almost 6 weeks.  Don't teams typically only get 3-4 weeks of practice?  

Just guessing, but that's probably to allow them to make up time lost from Spring ball.