Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, Old Nebraska Guy said:

not directly related, but.....

Minnesota has moved their high school football to the spring.

I just read the headline so I don't know if it was by agreement or edict.

10 minutes ago, nic said:

So did Colorado. Feel bad for the kids. The coaches at my boys high school are very disappointed.

And I’m sure more states will follow. Which raises the next football related problem. How jacked up is recruiting going to be with so many prospects subjected to shortened and moved seasons? Could present many unusual challenges for identifying talent.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

As I said in other posts, those in position to make a decision - aren’t.    Punt.   I am not surprised but still disappointed.  

The consequences of cancelling fall sports (cfb) are truly devastating financially and socially for millions of people.  There is a very real possibility that no college football this fall will mean bankruptcy for some schools, conferences and so on.  It is possible some schools’ athletic program will end permanently.  

College is a very expensive proposition in its current format.  There are always competitive pressures in effect in the marketplace.   On-line / distance / almost ‘Anazon style mail order’ education is growing rapidly.  Entire degrees earned without setting foot on the campus suggests the need for a campus could be waning.   

Without traditional classroom learning, you dont need classrooms / dorms / bldgs / even professors !   All those things are very expensive so eliminating them or spreading those costs across ten or even 100 times as many students will drive down the cost aka market value of that higher ed degree.  College will be accessible to almost everyone around the world.  

The question is - will it be necessary in the future as the spread of information - which is knowledge at your fingertips - is now global.  

College athletics needs to consider going ‘pro’ and decoupling from the academic side.   Now is the time for those who think outside the NCAA box to drop the collegiate from their title!

14 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I doubt that not playing football will protect any more people than if a full season is played. BUT at least then the casualties cannot be blamed on teams, colleges, conferences that are only out to maintain revenue. That’s a big BUT imo. The optics of it will shape perception and that’s all that really matters at the end of the day. Even if there’s only one or two cases as bad as that kids, I don’t see how it can be justified. It’s just a sport....that I am going to miss watching terribly.

Bingo. We live in a world where leaders at every level do not lead. They pander and slave to public sentiment while taking just enough half-measures so they can deny responsibility for the outcome. 

Shut it down or don’t.  This virus looks like it’s going to burn through a good chunk of people regardless of whether they play sports or not.  

12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

And I’m sure more states will follow. Which raises the next football related problem. How jacked up is recruiting going to be with so many prospects subjected to shortened and moved seasons? Could present many unusual challenges for identifying talent.

wow, this jacks up recruiting and visits big time, huge mess with  a s#!tload of doubt!