Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Agree 100%.  The most frustrating thing about all of this is the scatter shots of mitigation methods.  No one at any level of leadership is on the same page of anything, even within the same organizations.  No football, but go ahead and go to the bars with all of your dorm friends.  According to Pete Ricketts in March "the first sign of community spread, we'll shut down"; Ricketts in August "Wear a mask if you want too...".  OPS goes all in to limit exposures; Millard, Elkhorn, Gretna, Bennington, Papillion-LaVista do what they do...

I'm to the point where someone in charge either says "everyone stays locked in their homes for 3 weeks to get rid of the virus" or "screw it, let's just pretend it doesn't exist..."    I'm tired of watching unqualified people being put in a position to make decisions they aren't prepared for and to have it negated by the equally unqualified people a few miles away making a different decision.

This is just all so frustrating.

No kidding!  It is all so stupid!

I have practice tomorrow...but my buddy, 20 blocks east, doesn't.  My other teaching friend 75 blocks west will have open (mandatory, wink) gym...

What the heck do you think O street in Lincoln is going to look like in about 7 days?!?

You think any freshmen is wearing a mask in the dorms?  I mean...none of those dudes want to be the ever-virgin, they are not wearing a mask.  

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No kidding!  It is all so stupid!

I have practice tomorrow...but my buddy, 20 blocks east, doesn't.  My other teaching friend 75 blocks west will have open (mandatory, wink) gym...

What the heck do you think O street in Lincoln is going to look like in about 7 days?!?

Yep!  Meanwhile, we're getting emails asking if we're going to have a season because "johnny" got asked to play on a club team but he'd rather play for the school.  We just have to respond with "we are currently planning on having a season.  But we have no idea how practices/games will look because we're still waiting on protocols that we expected a week ago..."

We may very well be "allowed" to play this season, but won't be able to field a team...we look like idiots...

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Yep!  Meanwhile, we're getting emails asking if we're going to have a season because "johnny" got asked to play on a club team but he'd rather play for the school.  We just have to respond with "we are currently planning on having a season.  But we have no idea how practices/games will look because we're still waiting on protocols that we expected a week ago..."

We may very well be "allowed" to play this season, but won't be able to field a team...we look like idiots...

Hahah!

YES!  Club and select are about to swoop in for the kill!

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Amen...

You get 4 years in high school...then it is done.  Don't ruin it by ditching your school team.

I'm at a middle school, but we communicate with the high school to make sure we are focusing on the skills they'd like us to.  Last year the high school made a huge switch to a shotgun RPO offense, so we adjusted our philosophy to match as much as possible.  It's going to be awesome listening to the stories of our Freshmen coach next year.  I'm sure there are some "club" kids in our area right now who's parents think they are going to be the next great QB, FB or TE for the high school, and are going to be pretty disappointed when they end up the 3rd string guard...

27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Agree 100%.  The most frustrating thing about all of this is the scatter shots of mitigation methods.  No one at any level of leadership is on the same page of anything, even within the same organizations.  No football, but go ahead and go to the bars with all of your dorm friends.  According to Pete Ricketts in March "the first sign of community spread, we'll shut down"; Ricketts in August "Wear a mask if you want too...".  OPS goes all in to limit exposures; Millard, Elkhorn, Gretna, Bennington, Papillion-LaVista do what they do...

I'm to the point where someone in charge either says "everyone stays locked in their homes for 3 weeks to get rid of the virus" or "screw it, let's just pretend it doesn't exist..."    I'm tired of watching unqualified people being put in a position to make decisions they aren't prepared for and to have it negated by the equally unqualified people a few miles away making a different decision.

This is just all so frustrating.

All good points. The initial goal with this virus was to flatten the curve to allow time for making equipment and having hospital capacity. Now the goal seems to be locking down as much as possible even if the curve has flattened. 

Football players risk long term damage to their bodies and brains every time they take the field. They should have the option of choosing if they are willing to risk getting Covid.

If the BIG 10 shuts down sports they should also close all dorms and buildings where students will gather. Consistency will be key for leaders to earn respect.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

All good points. The initial goal with this virus was to flatten the curve to allow time for making equipment and having hospital capacity. Now the goal seems to be locking down as much as possible even if the curve has flattened. 

Football players risk long term damage to their bodies and brains every time they take the field. They should have the option of choosing if they are willing to risk getting Covid.

If the BIG 10 shuts down sports they should also close all dorms and buildings where students will gather. Consistency will be key for leaders to earn respect.

I think if there was consistency and a rationale from the get go, we wouldn't be where we are.  I truly believe if Trump would have said no interstate travel outside of essential deliveries and demanded governors make statewide proclamations about mitigation methods necessary for the state to get to a point where the virus is at a level that has been deemed safe by officials, then we can monitor a "re-opening".  This is an issue that "local" government can't handle because of the amount of interactions between neighborhoods, counties, etc...

I get that Nebraska doesn't equal New York.  But to pretend Omaha doesn't equal Elkhorn and Gretna is silly...

I'm tired of watching people "in charge" punt the ball and then complain the waterboy can't field it...

• Plus1 4

Trevor Lawrence’s opinion.

“People are at just as much, if not more risk, if we don’t play. Players will all be sent home to their own communities where social distancing is highly unlikely and medical care and expenses will be placed on the families if they were to contract COVID-19,”Lawrence said on Twitter. “Not to mention the players coming from situations that are not good for them/ their future and having to go back to that. Football is a safe haven for so many people. We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/ teammates safety is on the line. Without the season, as we’ve seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, nic said:

Trevor Lawrence’s opinion.

“People are at just as much, if not more risk, if we don’t play. Players will all be sent home to their own communities where social distancing is highly unlikely and medical care and expenses will be placed on the families if they were to contract COVID-19,”Lawrence said on Twitter. “Not to mention the players coming from situations that are not good for them/ their future and having to go back to that. Football is a safe haven for so many people. We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/ teammates safety is on the line. Without the season, as we’ve seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions.”

It's a tough situation with no good answers. But I'm not sure I follow his logic unless as a group, the football players quarantine themselves together. Barring that, you've got 100+ players together each hanging out with other people outside of football. Without football that # reduces. Of course, they're probably still going to go to parties at home, but minus the giant team they're hanging out with. And then there's the liability issue. Unfortunately, even if it's safer for them to be on campus playing football, if there is no football the teams/NCAA can't get sued over a player getting Covid due to playing football.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It's a tough situation with no good answers. But I'm not sure I follow his logic unless as a group, the football players quarantine themselves together. Barring that, you've got 100+ players together each hanging out with other people outside of football. Without football that # reduces. Of course, they're probably still going to go to parties at home, but minus the giant team they're hanging out with. And then there's the liability issue. Unfortunately, even if it's safer for them to be on campus playing football, if there is no football the teams/NCAA can't get sued over a player getting Covid due to playing football.

+1.  If there's any logic to their thought process it's "out of sight, out of mind, out of court."

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

+1.  If there's any logic to their thought process it's "out of sight, out of mind, out of court."

yes. and thats a difference between having regular ol' students on campus and football players. 

football players would have a case. students it is more difficult. 

8 hours ago, funhusker said:

I'm at a middle school, but we communicate with the high school to make sure we are focusing on the skills they'd like us to.  Last year the high school made a huge switch to a shotgun RPO offense, so we adjusted our philosophy to match as much as possible.  It's going to be awesome listening to the stories of our Freshmen coach next year.  I'm sure there are some "club" kids in our area right now who's parents think they are going to be the next great QB, FB or TE for the high school, and are going to be pretty disappointed when they end up the 3rd string guard...

Ha...3rd string guard, not the glamor position!  That one always gets emails like "Coach, I really respect what your do and I wouldn't think of telling you how to do you just...but..."