Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

I'm at the point of such frustration over this whole thing.  I've tried taking this seriously and doing what I can to prevent the spread.  I wear my mask when appropriate and have avoided large crowds when possible.  It's clear that countries that have populations who have taken it seriously are over the hump and their lives are getting somewhat back to normal.  However, the US is full of such selfish imbeciles that refuse to believe science and instead believes every conspiracy theory that comes across Facebook that this is where we are at.

My kids are all going back to college this week in Lincoln.  They are going to be in class rooms in a couple weeks and around large groups of other kids.  My son lives in a fraternity and says "I know I'm going to get it, it's just a matter of time".  Other kids are living in dorms/apartments/houses with many other kids.  I'm sure there will be social gathers and parties.

BUT.....football teams that are monitored continuously and probably some of the healthiest kids on campus, can't play games.  The players want to play.  But....they probably won't be allowed to.

I'm at the point where I'm saying "f#&% it".  If society isn't going to take this serious so we can move forward, then we should just open up and not even try.  We are doing more harm by doing this half assed.  

We had an entire summer to try to get a hold on this and it's been a complete failure because of societal attitudes and miss information.  Now we are going into the school year and winter where it's going to be much tougher to do what is necessary.

So....I'm at the point of throwing up my hands in frustration.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I feel your frustration. When the administration made the decision that the economy came before health considerations, they doomed us to a very, very long 'recovery' period.  Failed leadership ... but that is a discussion for the related political thread. 

At a time when we all need a sports outlet like football, public policy failed us and it has only increased the 'misery index'. 

Here in Oklahoma, we had the hard shut down until May.  I was working from home until June 1.  Since then cases have spiked & our company called all employees back to the office - it all is backa$$ward. 

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

serious question.  If Nebraska is one of two schools that want to play and seem to be doing a good job of preventing an outbreak on the team.  Is there anything stopping them from having a scrimmage like the spring game if the season is canceled??

What would be the purpose? Serious question

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

serious question.  If Nebraska is one of two schools that want to play and seem to be doing a good job of preventing an outbreak on the team.  Is there anything stopping them from having a scrimmage like the spring game if the season is canceled??

what's the point of doing that? risk, reward?

seems to me there are much more important issues,  than just fretting about college football seasons.

15 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

What would the purpose? Serious question

15 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

what's the point of doing that? risk, reward?

seems to me there are much more important issues,  than just fretting about college football seasons.

If the team wants to play (which it seems it does) why not let them play?  Most of them are over 18 which means they can make their own decisions.  They are the ones going through all the protocol and if they feel there is no risk why not let them have one?  There doesn't need to be fans.  If the Big10 cancels games are they halting all football activities?  I'm looking at it as a former player not as someone who just wants to see football.  These kids are the ones putting in work and going through everything. I hated bye weeks because it was all the practice with no payoff.  A scrimmage is something that normally happens.  There is the risk of getting injured but that risk isn't any higher than practice.  I guess its a mute point if the league says no games and no practice.

• Plus1 1

I'm at the point of such frustration over this whole thing.  I've tried taking this seriously and doing what I can to prevent the spread.  I wear my mask when appropriate and have avoided large crowds when possible.  It's clear that countries that have populations who have taken it seriously are over the hump and their lives are getting somewhat back to normal.  However, the US is full of such selfish imbeciles that refuse to believe science and instead believes every conspiracy theory that comes across Facebook that this is where we are at.

My kids are all going back to college this week in Lincoln.  They are going to be in class rooms in a couple weeks and around large groups of other kids.  My son lives in a fraternity and says "I know I'm going to get it, it's just a matter of time".  Other kids are living in dorms/apartments/houses with many other kids.  I'm sure there will be social gathers and parties.

BUT.....football teams that are monitored continuously and probably some of the healthiest kids on campus, can't play games.  The players want to play.  But....they probably won't be allowed to.

I'm at the point where I'm saying "f#&% it".  If society isn't going to take this serious so we can move forward, then we should just open up and not even try.  We are doing more harm by doing this half assed.  

We had an entire summer to try to get a hold on this and it's been a complete failure because of societal attitudes and miss information.  Now we are going into the school year and winter where it's going to be much tougher to do what is necessary.

Unless he is in farmhouse, triangle or acacia, there is not chance that Covid could survive in a frat house.  

• Thanks 1

I mentioned in another thread that I'm either for shutting down absolutely everything for 6 weeks to "nose dive" this thing, or open everything and pretend that all is well in the world.  I too, am tired of the bumbling inconsistencies.  Nothing makes sense.  

The most frustrating thing about it all is grown adults that don't even get the point of mask wearing and social distancing.  The whole "if YOU'RE scared, YOU can stay home" is so tiring.  I don't know how we fix it, but people are stupid.  That, and most Americans really don't understand what "liberty" actually means in the context of the founding of the United States...

• Plus1 2

So if the season is canceled, this begs the question:  What becomes of scholarship limits, eligibility etc?  Can seniors come back for the final missed year?  If so, will scholarship limits be raised to accommodate?  Will recruitment rules be changed a many HS are canceling seasons also?  Any chance of a spring season?  And will a Runza store finally open up in Tulsa???:o:confucius

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1