Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yep.  It makes no sense.  This week there will be 20,000 - 60,000 students on every big ten campus.  Going to the bookstore, going out to eat, hitting up bars, house parties...

But isnt this part of the problem as to why a season would be difficult? Spread on teams will shut down the season anyway and if its happening on campus it will happen on the teams. Not to mention athletes get regular COVID testing it looks like you are favoring athletes health and safety over the regular student. I don't think students on campus will last too long either though realistically. We will see. 

11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

May be a reckless move in terms of society, but the best from a legality standpoint. I am very disappointed in the NCAA for not making a stance one way or another.  

All these young adults will be playing somewhere without safety protocols in place.  

Yeah I didn't even think about the legal aspect of things until reading the ESPN and SI stories last night.

I suppose this is in the same vein as trying to get liability protections into one of the coronavirus relief bills in Congress. This situation has created an unprecedented legal quagmire and lots of groups are in CYA mode right now.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

But isnt this part of the problem as to why a season would be difficult? Spread on teams will shut down the season anyway and if its happening on campus it will happen on the teams. Not to mention athletes get regular COVID testing it looks like you are favoring athletes health and safety over the regular student. I don't think students on campus will last too long either though realistically. We will see. 

Yeah, pretty much!  

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is an interesting point.  We shut down our local school system in March for a similar reason.  We didn't think we could get enough supports and services to our sped kids and this would be a basis for a discrimination lawsuit.  I read this am that a parent group in New York is suing a school district for providing school to students but without additional supports or modification for the Sped and 504 kids.  

• Plus1 1

Shutting down fall sports was and is the right decision. Regardless of the Damon Benning tweet, placing anyone's health at risk to a disease that as of yet has so many unknowns (long term affects, cardiovascular scarring, respiratory scarring, possible heart disease.. etc..) would quite simply be foolish. Personally, I don't want one husker athlete to contract this disease and we all know the likely hood of contraction is greatly increased in playing the season. B1G did the right thing!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

Shutting down fall sports was and is the right decision. Regardless of the Damon Benning tweet, placing anyone's health at risk to a disease that as of yet has so many unknowns (long term affects, cardiovascular scarring, respiratory scarring, possible heart disease.. etc..) would quite simply be foolish. Personally, I don't want one husker athlete to contract this disease and we all know the likely hood of contraction is greatly increased in playing the season. B1G did the right thing!!

The conference isn't cancelling because of COVID. The university presidents are scared to death of the players unionizing.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

This is an interesting point.  We shut down our local school system in March for a similar reason.  We didn't think we could get enough supports and services to our sped kids and this would be a basis for a discrimination lawsuit.  I read this am that a parent group in New York is suing a school district for providing school to students but without additional supports or modification for the Sped and 504 kids.  

So many hurdles and this is just another one imo. Its tough to justify testing athletes so they can play while the regular student doesn't have that same access. Alot of things the athletes get totally makes sense and they should have access to those things as compared to chemistry majors who have access to labs athletes wouldn't have access to. But this situation applies to all students.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

So many hurdles and this is just another one imo. Its tough to justify testing athletes so they can play while the regular student doesn't have that same access. Alot of things the athletes get totally makes sense and they should have access to those things as compared to chemistry majors who have access to labs athletes wouldn't have access to. But this situation applies to all students.

It's interesting, but im not sure if its legally defensable.  Regular students would not have discrimination protection and safeguards.  But the athletes might.  We are a society ran by lawyers after all 

Damn it NCAA, get in here and end it for all!  The recruiting damage will be enormous. 

• Plus1 1