Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

5 minutes ago, Saunders said:
The conference isn't cancelling because of COVID. The university presidents are scared to death of the players unionizing.

If that's the case, they're doing exactly the wrong thing. This is MORE likely to make them unionize (although "union" isn't what the most recent banding-together really is).

I think any decision is likely being made based on potential legal liabilities and poor PR they would suffer if/when someone dies on their team or staff, or from their conference. 

Coaches & Athletic Directors all want to play, it seems. Presidents & Boards don't. 

• Plus1 2

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh...the inconsistencies in rules is mind blowing.  

My son is in charge of the kitchen.  This guys will be living together all year in small rooms.  But....when they go eat, the kitchen has to have plexiglass up everywhere.  So....it's OK to be in the rooms together.  But, when your food is served, you have to go behind this glass and put on masks.  Then, when all done....go back to your rooms and classes together.

And...yet....athletes can't play a game that's outside after being tested constantly.

I say join the SEC for the year and go play.

Yup. I hope the SEC plays and makes us look bad.:bang As you can tell, I am not taking this well. Let the kids and coaches who want to play, play and sign waivers.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Great, now how am I supposed to get out of doing things my wife wants to do all fall?

Get a fishing buddy, a tent, a portable grill and a large cooler to hold your favorite beverage and for her, get a t-shirt that says "I'm glad he's fishing" as a gift.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Putting on my "Just how cynical can knapplc get" hat...

What if leaking the potential for season cancellation is a ploy by the schools to rile players up enough with "we want to play" that they're willing to sign waivers absolving schools of liability if they contract C19?

I thought O$U signed waivers? 

Just now, knapplc said:

Putting on my "Just how cynical can knapplc get" hat...

What if leaking the potential for season cancellation is a ploy by the schools to rile players up enough with "we want to play" that they're willing to sign waivers absolving schools of liability if they contract C19?

Even if all the players and coaches sign waivers, what happens if a team plays an away game and then causes an outbreak on campus among the other students or faculty?

• Plus1 1

Trust me when I say that I want CFB like nobody's business.  That's my sport out of all of them but at the same time I'm not mad at Warren either.  Coronavirus might not be too bad in Nebraska but trust me when I say it is ser (serious) in most other places.  It's nothing to 'f' with please pardon my french.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Even if all the players and coaches sign waivers, what happens if a team plays an away game and then causes an outbreak on campus among the other students or faculty?

It's plausible, but I'd say it's more likely to be caused by college kids in that community throwing parties and acting like college kids.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Not shocked at all by this development.  Liability is the most explicit reason, but, big picture, I think this can simply be chalked up to is it really worth it?  

What I find somewhat suspicious though is the hypocrisy in this stance... Too risky to have football players on the field but said admins are perfectly fine having mini cities on campus in the form of their student body back in physical learning?  Doesn't add up to me at all... as has been stated, I'd argue the chances of getting this is much higher from a classmate in a building compared to tested players that are all cleared to play the game.

Feel like the admin/execs making this decision to rule on no football would also be against kids of campus and going with a remote learning model....

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Not shocked at all by this development.  Liability is the most explicit reason, but, big picture, I think this can simply be chalked up to is it really worth it?  

What I find somewhat suspicious though is the hypocrisy in this stance... Too risky to have football players on the field but said admins are perfectly fine having mini cities on campus in the form of their student body back in physical learning?  Doesn't add up to me at all... as has been stated, I'd argue the chances of getting this is much higher from a classmate in a building compared to tested players that are all cleared to play the game.

Feel like the admin/execs making this decision to rule on no football would also be against kids of campus and going with a remote learning model....

Feel like it won't be long before in person classes come to a screeching halt as well but that might just be me.