Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

16 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You're right though. There's risk either way. Of course we're waiting on a vaccine. But in the meantime this thing will come for us whether we treat it seriously and act accordingly or not. One leads to a lot better outcomes.

This is possibly veering more towards the kinds of conversations we'd want to have in the COVID thread in P&R, maybe.

I think what we've tended to do with conversations around COVID - because this thing is so new and so scary - is to look at only the present time frame; that is, we say "How many cases does the U.S. have right now?" Then we compare to some other month domestically, or we compare it to some other country.

But from what I've seen, unless you do what New Zealand did, you don't necessarily really put much of a dent in your total long-term case counts & death rate from these multiple phases of curve flattening. The curve flattening is still good, no doubt - but until you reach herd immunity, your total propensity for infection rates is basically unchanged. You're just spreading out the time frame under which the virus runs its course and/or mutates into something else.

Just food for thought. I'm constantly trying to take in as much data on C19 and adjust my viewpoints on how the data should impact policy making, etc.

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

So this would have all just done away had we all worn masks?  Do you seriously think this?

This isnt going away whether people wear masks or not.  We are either waiting on a vaccine or we accept the risk and move forward.

If people had worn masks all summer, we would have this under control. 

EDIT: Laugh it up, fuzzball, but you know I'm right. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I would love to hear your definition.  Please humor me.

Do what every other country who has had success with this has? I mean are you serious? We have had a piecemeal approach from the beginning and we still have people denying the seriousness of this. A consistent approach from the top down led by the scientists and  would be a nice start. If you'd like to discuss this further we should probably take it to P&R

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

we have been 'taking action' for 5 months and this thing still exists. 

No, we haven't. You've never been restricted from leaving your home. You've never been ordered to wear a mask. You've never been forced to socially distance. You've never been forced to wash your hands for x number of seconds.

All of these have been directives, not legally enforceable, and nobody is enforcing them.

We have done nothing required of us to slow this spread. Everything has been voluntary with zero leadership. We've been told all along that this thing would just "go away" while the guy in charge golfs. We have 160,000 people dead from this because we've taken no action.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If people had worn masks all summer, we would have this under control. 

EDIT: Laugh it up, fuzzball, but you know I'm right. 

What we can say about your statement is that had every person in the U.S. worn masks all summer, current case count would probably have been lower, yes.

But, we can't necessarily say that it would have completely eliminated COVID. Not putting those words in your mouth at all, Cdog, and I know you didn't say that at all - but just a point of clarification there.

So, maybe we would have "had football." Maybe we would have let our guards down, gotten big groups together, and gotten another big spike.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

What we can say about your statement is that had every person in the U.S. worn masks all summer, current case count would probably have been lower, yes.

But, we can't necessarily say that it would have completely eliminated COVID. Not putting those words in your mouth at all, Cdog, and I know you didn't say that at all - but just a point of clarification there.

So, maybe we would have "had football." Maybe we would have let our guards down, gotten big groups together, and gotten another big spike.

Why put that second paragraph in there when you know that's not remotely what he said?

• Fire 1
Just now, Cdog923 said:

I do think it's fair to ask whether our country - with a population of over 325 million and part of the vertebrate of the world economy - can be compared (feasibility-wise) to a small island nation of 4.9 million people.

I don't know the answer, but I personally wouldn't just say that New Zealand's situation is a punctuation mark on the end of a long conversation.

Obviously though - in a scenario where it's feasible to have everyone hole up in their house, be mandated to not go to work or anywhere, etc., etc. - the virus would die out. There are no arguments there.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do what every other country who has had success with this has? I mean are you serious? We have had a piecemeal approach from the beginning and we still have people denying the seriousness of this. A consistent approach from the top down led by the scientists and  would be a nice start. If you'd like to discuss this further we should probably take it to P&R

For the most part, the US has actually had 50 approaches (maybe more if you consider cities - Lincoln is different than Omaha, etc.) that had very little coordination between them.  US states are not really set up to negotiate "treaties" with each other.  They tend to default to the Federal Government for all inter-state coordination. Its like suddenly the US decided to rename itself the "Corona-Prussian Empire".

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Most college football players have to look for jobs after they are done playing

Yes, but a select few are talented enough to go to the NFL and drastically change their futures and as Burrow showed last year one season can be the difference. I'm not saying this is the only argument for playing, but it's a piece that should be considered.