Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why put that second paragraph in there when you know that's not remotely what he said?

It's a broader discussion about which specific policies and actions can feasibly be taken action on to stamp out the virus, sans herd immunity.

When I go out, I wear a mask. I really do, and you'll just have to take my word on that. I'm not coyly plugging an anti-mask agenda or something weird like that.

I've just been pretty convinced lately that the American conversation has been pretty laser-focused on the current time frame and not the medium/long term ones.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I do think it's fair to ask whether our country - with a population of over 325 million and part of the vertebrate of the world economy - can be compared (feasibility-wise) to a small island nation of 4.9 million people.

I don't know the answer, but I personally wouldn't just say that New Zealand's situation is a punctuation mark on the end of a long conversation.

Obviously though - in a scenario where it's feasible to have everyone hole up in their house, be mandated to not go to work or anywhere, etc., etc. - the virus would die out. There are no arguments there.

Thing is there are quite a few other success stories as well. Many did the same things. As for your last paragraph, it is feasible for most people, our government just doesn't want to shell out the money in the short term to do it.

Just now, Undone said:

It's a broader discussion about which specific policies and actions can feasibly be taken action on to stamp out the virus, sans herd immunity.

When I go out, I wear a mask. I really do, and you'll just have to take my word on that. I'm not coyly plugging an anti-mask agenda or something weird like that.

I've just been pretty convinced lately that the American conversation has been pretty laser-focused on the current time frame and not the medium/long term ones.

It appears to be a strawman, not a broader discussion.

Best to have that broader discussion in another discussion.  One where it's what's actually being talked about. 

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

You extrapolated to an argument that I wasn't making, though. "Under control" =/= "eliminated"; that won't come into play until we have a vaccine and the ability to build up whatever herd immunity we can. However, other countries, such as the UK, Germany and France, have gotten their outbreaks under control to the point where much of their societies have returned to a semblance of "normal", which we are very much nowhere near.  

I wholeheartedly agree with your second and third paragraphs, though. We are dangerously short-sighted with this at the moment, to the point where, if you want Husker basketball, you'd better hope legit, logical steps get taken now, or we're going to be having this same type of conversation in mid-November. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm convinced we don't want to do the hard work to think about long term. If we took 6 weeks and stopped everyone in their tracks to drive down transmission we could bring cases to a far lower level. In that time frame we could work hard to set up testing and tracing systems, produce more ppe for everyone in the country, create clear guidelines for transitioning back to a semi normal state. At that point you can focus on surveillance and containment of smaller scale outbreaks while the rest of society starts to move back into full swing. This balancing act should be able to be maintained until a vaccine is created. To me our response has been very confusing. Seems to me the fastest way back to normal is massive action, not half a$$ suggestions. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The US is currently at 7.6%; locally, Omaha is over 11% and Nebraska as a whole is over 9%. 

Yes, and they have all sorts of restrictions and travel bans still in place

https://www.forbes.com/sites/irenedominioni/2020/07/14/italy-renews-coronavirus-restrictions-connections-with-13-countries-blocked-until-end-of-july/#1baf127d6f4c

Yes if you control a small enough area and use massive restrictions you can tamp this thing down for a time.  The problem is eventually you have to open things up again to have schools, commerce, sports, etc.  Thats why I say there is no 'in control'.  As long as this is out there and there is no vaccine you can either hide out and keep things shut down forever or you try and mitigate it as much as possible and move forward.  We are in this weird place right now where people are really struggling with this concept.  There is no country on this planet that has 'beaten' covid as long as its still out there.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

For the most part, the US has actually had 50 approaches (maybe more if you consider cities - Lincoln is different than Omaha, etc.) that had very little coordination between them.  US states are not really set up to negotiate "treaties" with each other.  They tend to default to the Federal Government for all inter-state coordination. Its like suddenly the US decided to rename itself the "Corona-Prussian Empire".

(I hate quoting myself, but I left off one additional thought)

The US is going 50+ ways in our everyday plans and then tries to play sports which involve interactions across state lines.  While not the only reason for failure, this is clearly a contributing factor in making it harder to play this season.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The US is currently at 7.6%; locally, Omaha is over 11% and Nebraska as a whole is over 9%. 

I wonder what percentage of the population in Italy contracted actually the virus. Could it have started to burn out at some point in time? I understand they are also practicing social distancing but it could be the combination of the two (high exposure rate and social distancing).

1 minute ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/irenedominioni/2020/07/14/italy-renews-coronavirus-restrictions-connections-with-13-countries-blocked-until-end-of-july/#1baf127d6f4c

Yes if you control a small enough area and use massive restrictions you can tamp this thing down for a time.  The problem is eventually you have to open things up again to have schools, commerce, sports, etc.  Thats why I say there is no 'in control'.  As long as this is out there and there is no vaccine you can either hide out and keep things shut down forever or you try and mitigate it as much as possible and move forward.  We are in this weird place right now where people are really struggling with this concept.  There is no country on this planet that has 'beaten' covid as long as its still out there.  

Easy to say coming from the country doing the absolute worst. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

You extrapolated to an argument that I wasn't making, though. "Under control" =/= "eliminated"; that won't come into play until we have a vaccine and the ability to build up whatever herd immunity we can.

I agree with you, and I did do that intentionally to zoom out to a broader conversation. I didn't do it to get under your skin or anything.

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

However, other countries, such as the UK, Germany and France, have gotten their outbreaks under control to the point where much of their societies have returned to a semblance of "normal", which we are very much nowhere near.

I agree with this. I do still wonder though if some of those countries will continue to have cases pop up long after others such as Sweden and whether in the end their per capita case and death rates wind up being comparative. It's an earnest question.

• Fire 1

If the Big Ten Conference cancels the season there should be a Nebraska college championship.

;)

Round robin amongst UNL, UNK, Chadron State, Wayne State, Midland, Peru State, Concordia, Hastings and Doane. 

Would be maybe not great results but would be enjoyable nonetheless! 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Rochelobe said:

(I hate quoting myself, but I left off one additional thought)

The US is going 50+ ways in our everyday plans and then tries to play sports which involve interactions across state lines.  While not the only reason for failure, this is clearly a contributing factor in making it harder to play this season.

Yep. The hurdles go far beyond player safety. 

Just now, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

"Beaten" and "In Control" are two wildly different concepts that you are conflating here. It's absolutely possible to control the spread of this virus with steps that have already been implemented worldwide (steps that a lot of Americans have self-righteously scoffed at): masks, social distancing, and self-limiting where you go and when you go there. This, coupled with testing and quarantining helps prevent the spread of the virus. It will not be "beaten" until a vaccine is in large-scale distribution and whatever sort of herd immunity takes hold; that is probably still a year away. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I agree with you, and I did do that intentionally to zoom out to a broader conversation. I didn't do it to get under your skin or anything.

I agree with this. I do still wonder though if some of those countries will continue to have cases pop up long after others such as Sweden and whether in the end their per capita case and death rates wind up being comparative. It's an earnest question.

No offense was taken, I just wanted to focus on that particular argument.