Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

Again, band-aids and half-measures every step of the way got us here.

But the frustration component being discussed is also very real. Everyone is frustrated; politically, economically, socially, privately and lots of other ways. But I don't believe just because we're all so frustrated with the situation at this point means we should just throw the towel in, throw caution to the wind, accept any casualties and try to return to life like nothing we do matters anyway. Nihilism is dangerous right now.

I completely agree. I am the opposite there. I really think we need to put the breaks on now and do everything we can to slow this down. Giving up would be a devastating choice not just for people and their health but for economy and business. Its a real crisis right now and we need to treat it that way.

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Hey now, you are getting way to close to the truth here.

I WISH they would just give the finger to the NCAA, form a Power 5 league, start paying players and collectively bargain with a new players union.  Make it a true minor league using giant universities who stand to gain a whole lot of revenue by being a part of this.  The rest of the colleges can have amateur leagues/championships etc. still.

Give a finger to the NCAA and make a NCAA 2.0? Basketball and other sports would be a lot less interesting. Why should we blow up the current model just because of football? 

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would be all of the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that the thing pivoting talk of cancelling the season is less to do with Covid-19, and much, much more to do with the push for college athletes to unionize. 

That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it? If not, why the sudden change. B1G made the tough decision to cancel out of conf games, and did the leg work to build a schedule. They even were putting testing policy into place. Seems way too soon to just scrap it all. I'm not convinced they would make it through a full season, but at least they would have tried.

Also, the risk/reward thing is something we are all dealing with right now. Do I send my kid to daycare, do I meet with my parents, do I go to this wedding? As long as they are interacting with other players who have understood and decided to take the same risk - I don't see an issue with college football players and coaches being able to decide the risk/reward of their own situations. 

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it? If not, why the sudden change. B1G made the tough decision to cancel out of conf games, and did the leg work to build a schedule. They even were putting testing policy into place. Seems way too soon to just scrap it all. I'm not convinced they would make it through a full season, but at least they would have tried.

Also, the risk/reward thing is something we are all dealing with right now. Do I send my kid to daycare, do I meet with my parents, do I go to this wedding? As long as they are interacting with other players who have understood and decided to take the same risk - I don't see an issue with college football players and coaches being able to decide the risk/reward of their own situations. 

I think we forget Warren said cancelation was on the table like a week ago. He has been saying this was a possibility the whole time. Coming out with the schedule meant nothing imo, in all of the conferences. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Farms said:

Didn't we already do this??

The United States? No.  We never had a federally mandated policy.  States did differing amounts of "stay at home" type orders, but no consistent response.  I believe Ricketts never issued a stay at home order for Nebraska.

Also, the stay at home orders in the US didn't have any where near the strictness that some other countries implemented.  Some places levied severe fines if you were caught exercising outside, by yourself (Paris).

Without a consistent federal policy that was applied across all parts of the US it was always going to be hard to turn around and engage in a nationwide endeavor like holding a college football season.  Once you had places like New Jersey and Illinois (or maybe just Chicago) quarantining  travelers from other states (including Nebraska), it was going to make having players go on the road and play very difficult - unless lots of waivers were given for sports teams.  They've sort of done that for MLB teams, but we already see there are issues.  The rate of positive cases would be much higher for college football with more teams, more players per team, etc.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No, we didn't. It was piecemeal at best. Can't tell you how many times Louisiana people came to coastal MS to get away from their restrictions because MS was more lax. We never did it how we should have.

Yes.  Weren't there reports of New Yorkers fleeing all the way to Florida, etc. as well, with no restrictions placed on their travel? 

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No. Nobody was forced to stay in their homes, nobody was prevented from going to Menard's (and Menard's has been packed since day one of this virus, mostly with people not wearing masks). 

Did you go to Menard's during this period to observe this yourself in person, or did you hear about this second hand?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No. Nobody was forced to stay in their homes, nobody was prevented from going to Menard's (and Menard's has been packed since day one of this virus, mostly with people not wearing masks). 

Stamping out spread would require enforced isolation, enforced mask wearing, massing contact tracing, and we haven't done any of these things.  

ha! This is like the argument for communism - We just didn't do it right!.  You and I both know a federally mandated lockdown complete with brownshirts patrolling the streets will never happen in this country.  Even if someone had the will it just isn't possible.

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Did you go to Menard's during this period to observe this yourself in person, or did you hear about this second hand?

4 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

the 'protesters' reported back to him

Reports from Menard's workers complaining on the Reddit. Frequently.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I keep flip-flopping on this. If you ask me this weekend up through 1:00 p.m. today, I say no season. After Frost nailing that press conference and the growing support on social media, I'm back to there will be a season.

I want to take a puff on that hopium you're smoking, sir.