Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

I have to admit that as dedicated as Frost and Moos seem to playing and the admin seemingly behind them I think we get some sort of Husker football. There is enough schools trying to figure out a way to play even if the B1G cancels I think they try to play somewhere somehow. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I totally forgot about Huskerpedia!  That was one of the first boards I read but never signed up.  There were a few guys that posted that that were so in love with themselves that it made me blush.  

I was registered on Huskerpedia...never posted there though. And IIRC @Mavric was another Huskerpedia transplant to HB. I know there were quite a few more but it carried a stigma around here for a while. The exodus/influx was a bit of a sh#tshow at the time.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tom Brokejaw said:

Goodness, I just joined a month ago.  Is it always like this?  Can there be some way to screen out the group of folks that just want to carry on flu epidemic arguments and let this section just talk about football?

I suspect a lot of the posters are cousins.  

1 hour ago, Farms said:

According to your hypothetical graph that shows positive cases going parabolic, that’s assuming the same rate of testing. Now we are testing exponentially more people whether they are symptomatic or not. In that case the graph should be going EXTREMELY parabolic but it’s not. It’s showing a steady incline despite testing exponentially more people, your hypothetical graph doesn’t account for that l. In my opinion we did flatten the curve, but a graph that doesn’t account for the number of people tested isn’t is obviously going to paint a different picture. 

The theoretical scenario is discussing serious/fatal cases - those requiring hospitalization.  Yes, the overall numbers include asymptomatic cases.

Then, in the scenario you describe, if we have way more asymptomatic tests, then we should have a much lower death rate per case than similar countries.  In other words, if extra testing is simply doing a better job of revealing asymptomatic cases within the US vs other countries, we should have a much lower rate of death per million than those similar countries.

Here is the date for the top ten countries in terms of number of cases, comparing their death rates (per million), cases rate (per million), and the death rate per cases:

Country Cases Deaths/Million Cases/Million          Deaths/Total     Cases
United States 5,251,000 502 15,855 0.0317
Brazil 3,057,000 479 14,373 0.0333
India 2,267,000 33 1,641 0.0201
Russia 892,000 103 6,117 0.0168
South Africa 563,000 179 9,490 0.0189
Mexico 486,000 411 3,764 0.1092
Peru 478,000 638 14,476 0.0441
Colombia 398,000 258 7,805 0.0331
Chile 375,000 530 19,601 0.0270
Spain 370,000 611 7,915 0.0772

So, if the reason the US has so many more cases is because we find more asymptomatic cases vs the rest of the world (due to all the extra testing we do), we would then expect the US to have a lower Deaths/Total Cases ratio, since we would have more "benign" cases of coronavirus.  Looking at the top 10 countries, and the US ranks 5th out of 10 countries.  To me, this indicates that the US rate of asymptomatic detection is not particularly higher or lower than the rest of the world.

I would expect the US to have better health care, on average, than Brazil, India, Peru, Colombia, and Chile.  Yet two of those countries have a lower rate of deaths per cases than the US, two have comparable levels to the US and one has a higher death rate. 

India and Russia are both lower than the US, but I wonder if this is due to how they diagnosis the cause of death - perhaps they just say pneumonia and leave it at that.  Before looking at this data I would have expected them to have higher death rates per cases than the US.  It looks like Mexico is still in the early stages of testing - they only seem to test those that are seriously ill, thus the death rate that is currently 3x higher than the US.  If Mexico starts to ramp up testing we will see if they start to fall more in line with the other countries.

The only "early outbreak" country on this list is Spain and their rate is also very high, although I would assume they are still doing a lot of testing.  Their high death rate per case may be due to the fact that not much was known about treatment when they suffered through their outbreak.  Something similar may have happened in NYC as well - we've seen much lower death rates per cases in the US since then, and I think, based on what we see above, it is not really due to some incredible increase in asymptomatic cases relative to serious/fatal cases.

My thought is the reality is diluted somewhat by the additional testing we do in the US - we are probably still missing some asymptomatic cases due to false negatives, which if they tested positive would lower the US rate some.  At this time I don't think the number is significant, but it may be bigger than we think.

• Thanks 3

Goodness, I just joined a month ago.  Is it always like this?  Can there be some way to screen out the group of folks that just want to carry on flu epidemic arguments and let this section just talk about football?

Congrats on lots of quotes. This thread became a train wreck and people post here to bloviate. I am guilty as charged. The good news is that this thread will die if the Big Ten announces they are playing tomorrow. If the season gets cancelled I would take a break and come back in the Spring. :P

also, search for the Scott Frost Megathread 

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

We do not enjoy pure Freedom. If you need a test for that, try walking into your local bank vault and helping yourself to whatever you see. Let us know in 10-20 years how that goes for you.

Ya good one.  Let’s make the most outlandish law breaking example and run with that one to say we’re not a feee society. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I was registered on Huskerpedia...never posted there though. And IIRC @Mavric was another Huskerpedia transplant to HB. I know there were quite a few more but it carried a stigma around here for a while. The exodus/influx was a bit of a sh#tshow at the time.

tenor.gif

Just tried to keep my head down for awhile until people forgot about it...

200.gif

• Haha 2

The madness continues.

The players are FAR more safer surrounded by doctors and medical staff with state of the art medical machinery/facilities just feet away from them and being quarantined from society and tested twice a week if they were to remain with the team and play a season....rather than go home and not have access to any of this AND expose themselves to society, friends, family of which many are at risk.

Athletic departments around the country are about to lose 80%+ (85% for Nebraska) of their yearly budget for all of their sports.  If football goes...so does most every other college sport until football returns to pay the bills.  

COVID-19 WILL NOT BE GOING AWAY EVER.  This includes next spring where most ADs (somehow) think the coast will be clear to play football again.  The sooner everyone understands that you will contract the virus if you plan on living the next 10 years, the sooner we will reach heard immunity and can all get back to living our normal lives.  Those who are at risk and wish to live in a bubble will of course have the freedom to do so for the rest of their life.

The athletic departments are not the only ones who will be taking a financial hit if there is no football this fall.  Local economies in cities all across the nation bring in billions of dollars when there are games being played.  Hotels, restaurants, bars, transportation, and entertainment industries will all be losing a massive amount of their business this fall and therefore will have to layoff staff, further contributing to the economic destruction.  Many businesses are on the verge of going under right now, and they will not survive to the end of the year if there is no college sports.

The moral of the country is at a all-time low.  We are in desperate need of something to bring us together.  Something we can cheer for and enjoy together.  The Churches need to be the first thing to open to accomplish this goal.  Resuming college sports should be the second priority to accomplish this goal.  Pro sports have abandoned this country and its ideals and can take a long walk off a short pier. 

The only good that can come from this clusterF-kick-the-can-down-the-road-cancel-madness, is that the players may finally unite and form a union.  This will give them immense power and a spot at the decision table for the first time.  I welcome this change for the players have not been represented at all when it comes to the decisions that have been made that greatly affect their lives.  Players have bills to pay too as well as career, and a future all related to whether or not the season is a go and should have a say.  Players also being compensated for someone else profiting off their image and likeness is also a step in the right direction. 

Having said all of that...the season should go on.  The economy should go on.  The country should go on.  At the current rate, when will it be OK for everything to return?  Who will be making that decision?  The virus is not going away.....ever. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, funhusker said:

Watching Ben Sasse beg for a season after punting the decisions to local governments and private entities is f#&%ing pathetic.

So I think what I hear you saying is that you want a central authority telling you what to do - is that correct?

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So, in other words (or another’s words), what you’re saying is “it is what it is”. The fact is we could’ve and should’ve done better as a country managing this ordeal. We didn’t and there really is no mystery to it. It only seems to escape those whose politics it doesn’t align with.Total and complete lack of responsible leadership. But sure, go ahead and act like that has nothing to do with it.

That’s your response to somebody that lost their job from this whole ordeal?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1