Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, I am I said:

Don’t tell me I don’t care about people. My son barely, barely survived lymphoma.   I know sickness and I also know life must move forward.

Damn, dude. I'm glad he survived and I'm sorry to hear about that. One of my best friend's son just barely beat leukemia last year and it was straight up hell.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Hi. Funny story. Quoting you is not a "straw man." 

Hi, condescendingly asking if I think backed up dead bodies is normal without acknowledging that what I said was factually correct is trying to make my post be something it’s not.  
So since you didn’t like what I posted, yet couldn’t refute its facts, you decided to try strawman it into me saying it’s normal.  I don’t, it’s not, and it doesn’t mean healthcare systems are overrun. 
I work with many across the midwest, many physicians and surgeons with residency and fellowship colleagues across the south.  Systems were stressed, not overwhelmed. 
If you would like to learn more, let’s take it another thread. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hi, condescendingly asking if I think backed up dead bodies is normal without acknowledging that what I said was factually correct is trying to make my post be something it’s not.  
So since you didn’t like what I posted, yet couldn’t refute its facts, you decided to try strawman it into me saying it’s normal.  I don’t, it’s not, and it doesn’t mean healthcare systems are overrun. 
I work with many across the midwest, many physicians and surgeons with residency and fellowship colleagues across the south.  Systems were stressed, not overwhelmed. 
If you would like to learn more, let’s take it another thread. 

See me in P&R.

I'm your Huckleberry.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

In the context of C19, can you define what you mean by 'soft?' I look around Lincoln and I don't see any examples of that - but I'd like to hear your perspective.

Unwilling to make sacrifices that previous generations have made. Demonstrated by the whinging in this very thread, and the ignorant pushback against something as simple as wearing masks over their faces, among other examples. Sacrifices other countries with far lower death tolls have,  with far greater civic compliance.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's a little of Column A, a little of Column B. 

You're right that nobody wants the responsibility of anyone else's death, or even their serious illness. That could be catastrophic for an organization. The reason they have that fear is, we didn't have the top down leadership on this nation's response to this virus and we have uncontrolled spread. Without a good handle on sources of the virus, nobody knows who has it or who's going to transmit it. In that scenario, why would a college want the liability of being responsible for these students? 

That's what they're thinking. Frost is correct that canceling football/sports will be a disaster. The institutions just don't want to be the epicenter of that disaster. It's hard to blame them.

:lol:  Pretty sure that sounds like a false flag propaganda, coming directly from column D(ems) :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Unwilling to make sacrifices that previous generations have made. Demonstrated by the whinging in this very thread, and the ignorant pushback against something as simple as wearing masks over their faces, among other examples. Sacrifices other countries with far lower death tolls have,  with far greater civic compliance.

So mainly, the masks. I agree with you there.

I work for and also talk to many other people here whose companies have spent a lot of their own money to ensure that as many of their employees can work from home, thus doing their part to ensure as much physical distancing as possible. I see a lot of people sacrificing giving up the things they used to do, the activities their kids used to participate in - all for the greater good.

I'm not saying that I'm out there seeing a bunch of would-be 'Rosie the Riveters.'  

But, I do see the angle of selfishness, maybe we would call it. But I do also see quite a bit of sacrifice.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And now look into how each country classifies a death as a Covid-19 death.  Your chart is basically comparing apples to oranges.  It’s kinda equatable to Comparing each countries life expectancy to ours.  We include every baby born, others include a baby that makes it at least 1 month, some 3 months etc...  And including India and Russia doesn’t make sense.  Might as well include China’s false numbers.  

So, someone stated the whole reason the US curve was different was due to all the extra testing meaning we had swept up a lot more asymptomatic cases which was different than other countries.  I assembled this data since the response that the US had outlier asymptomatic detection required a comparison.

What is your data to refute that?

You keep saying everything is wrong and false after you see numbers?

Is the reason you disagree due to the fact you don't live in the US?  Do you live in alternate-US instead?  I heard they did a great job going from only 15 cases to 0.  In that case, yes, they did a great job flattening the curve.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Undone said:

But I do also see quite a bit of sacrifice.

1940s Americans lived with rationing, gas punch cards, rubber shortages, copper drives, victory gardens, blackouts, loss of sports, and a dozen other privations.

2020 America is asked to wash their hands, stay at home and wear a mask when social distancing isn't feasible.

One of those generations took to those strictures with a will. The other is us.

We are not sacrificing. We are selfishly demanding our comforts and entertainment. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Do you understand what flattening the curve means?  It is designed to prevent “exponential growth” as to not overwhelm a hospital system. 
mom sure you will notice that even in a flattened curve, growth does go up in the beginning until a plateau occurs, then a downturn.  Does our chart of active cases look anything like the UM exponential growth curve??  I think not.  
As a country we have slowed the unchecked spread and every city that has been hit hard, has managed through any capacity challenges.  
Refrigerated trucks for dead bodies does not mean those propel died because of hospitals triaging who lives and who dies.  It means the processing of dead bodies is backed up, not the care for the people prior to dying.  Hope that helps you understand this a little more.  
And yes, each state should be deciding their own guidelines because it makes ZERO sense for SD, ND, NE, KS, MT, etc..to have total lockdowns of their economy with little to no community spread.  
If we really wanted to stop this at the beginning, then stopping interstate travel outside of shipping/transport would have been the way to go, yet legal challenges would have prevented this.  NY basically seeded a majority of other state infection areas in the beginning.  

and Florida is the another perfect reason that each state presents its own issues.  South Florida was by far and away the biggest problem area and they also had the longest lockdown in the beginning of the pandemic.  Most other parts of FL held up relatively well at the states absolute worst point. 

A driving reason for why the US response sucks is that there is no US response.  We tried to work it as 50 different countries, yet each of those "countries" did not have the resources (after the administration took a large amount of PPE originally destined for the states).  Had there been a comprehensive response from the federal government - which is basically what happened in virtually every other country that has started to resume some aspect of normalcy, the probable result is that the US would have lower death count and be more likely to be playing football this fall.

So, the arguments about how the US is "different" really gets old.  Yes there are some differences, but there is a mechanism in place within the constitution that says the feds can step in to certain types of emergencies.  That did not happen in the US. 

So if everything is different in terms of how the virus affects the US are you implying that the biology of the virus is unique and different in the US and that is ?  That proven scientifically based methods used in other countries will not work in the US?  What other things don't work the same in the US?  Chemistry? Engineering?  Or is it only the virus?  Please elucidate.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

A driving reason for why the US response sucks is that there is no US response.  We tried to work it as 50 different countries, yet each of those "countries" did not have the resources (after the administration took a large amount of PPE originally destined for the states).  Had there been a comprehensive response from the federal government - which is basically what happened in virtually every other country that has started to resume some aspect of normalcy, the probable result is that the US would have lower death count and be more likely to be playing football this fall.

So, the arguments about how the US is "different" really gets old.  Yes there are some differences, but there is a mechanism in place within the constitution that says the feds can step in to certain types of emergencies.  That did not happen in the US. 

So if everything is different in terms of how the virus affects the US are you implying that the biology of the virus is unique and different in the US and that is ?  That proven scientifically based methods used in other countries will not work in the US?  What other things don't work the same in the US?  Chemistry? Engineering?  Or is it only the virus?  Please elucidate.

political and those driving an agenda.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The mask bros are an utter farce.  They decrease oxygen to the blood, risk toxic inhalation, compromises the immune system, and drive overall viral risk.  

What is even happening in this thread?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

So, someone stated the whole reason the US curve was different was due to all the extra testing meaning we had swept up a lot more asymptomatic cases which was different than other countries.  I assembled this data since the response that the US had outlier asymptomatic detection required a comparison.

Is the reason you disagree due to the fact you don't live in the US?  Do you live in alternate-US instead?  I heard they did a great job going from only 15 cases to 0.  In that case, yes, they did a great job flattening the curve.

31 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

My data is looking at, researching, and reading journals/case studies on Covid-19 reporting figures and how  a country classifies a Covid-19 death in the US vs how they classify one in Canada, or India, or Russia, or Bolivia, UK or any other country that reports Covid-19 deaths. If you thinks it’s all the same then your crazy.  
and BTw..I didn’t say anything at all about case numbers. So why bring it up to me?

I live in the US and disagree with you because your promoting a false narrative with comparing death numbers between countries without giving proper context into what constitutes a death to be considered a Covid-19 death.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

1940s Americans lived with rationing, gas punch cards, rubber shortages, copper drives, victory gardens, blackouts, loss of sports, and a dozen other privations.

2020 America is asked to wash their hands, stay at home and wear a mask when social distancing isn't feasible.

One of those generations took to those strictures with a will. The other is us.

We are not sacrificing. We are selfishly demanding our comforts and entertainment. 

Well, I have to ration my data plan 

• Plus1 1