Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

49 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Go do some research about what everyday Americans did to win World War II. 

America is soft. Get some perspective.

yeah I have grandparents (all rip) I know history well. My dad was a history teacher. I’ve studied.

Tell me the future, of history, when millions of people have lost jobs, trillions in debt, suicide, addiction, depression, etc etc etc

America is soft and I’m tryin to say to get tough. The virus is here. It’s not going anywhere. Get tough and go, it’s not going away.  I’ve given first hand knowledge of things from the past and present that support my view, from my experience. 

we need to toughen up. Get tough and SMART. Life is and will be worse by not doing what we normally do (being smart is a part of that) to just live life. Shutting down everything and isolating people is NOT an answer. Having 90k in the stadium isn’t either. I weep for my kids and those that can’t fulfill their dreams because of shutting things down. There is risk and there is living. I don’t own a motorcycle because at 43, it’s risky. I don’t cliff dive anymore because it’s risky. I don’t speed or drive after drinking because it’s risky. I go inside when it hails. 

I have a friend who committed suicide cuz he lost his job and had no prospects, Ive seen sickness w my son, thank god he made it. I’m sensitive to those things. 

I’ve lost my own job, I’ve seen my kids regress in education and socially lose a large chunk of their life (and it’s not going away soon, as far as life experiences in middle and high school normal stuff..prom, homecoming, dating, visiting schools, jobs)

if my mom went through Hong Kong flu, when millions of people lost their lives, if things weren’t “normal” during any sickness, then why is it different now, shutting down? Sequester those that are vulnerable, be smart wearing a mask, do all the right things and let’s get going. It’s worse if 200 universities can’t pay their bills let alone a large swath of Americans, paying theirs. So many opportunities are being lost and realistically may never be recovered. 

I voted “no” to a season happening months ago.  And I knew the power players with their cushy jobs and politics/power would be the deciding factor. Not the actual data. 

This isn’t a war against another man with a different uniform like WW2, this is people’s whole lives being decided by power/politics where the enemy isn’t going away by a bomb. 

The virus is here and by all data is deadly, deadly!...only to those who are old, compromised otherwise, or just who have bad luck with it. What we are doing to millions of children K-college is worse than if they get Covid. We aren’t doing anything! If you get it (and Frost even said kids at N have got it and are fine) you either recover or  you don’t. 

im not saying football is the answer, at all. I’m saying I love how Frost laid it out, very succinctly, that football is a choice that these kids have made, as who they are as young adults that they want to play. Life will go on without football. Life will go on anyway. Why crush millions of people and opportunities, if life will go on anyway? Get tough and move on 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

35 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

A driving reason for why the US response sucks is that there is no US response.  We tried to work it as 50 different countries, yet each of those "countries" did not have the resources (after the administration took a large amount of PPE originally destined for the states).  Had there been a comprehensive response from the federal government - which is basically what happened in virtually every other country that has started to resume some aspect of normalcy, the probable result is that the US would have lower death count and be more likely to be playing football this fall.

So, the arguments about how the US is "different" really gets old.  Yes there are some differences, but there is a mechanism in place within the constitution that says the feds can step in to certain types of emergencies.  That did not happen in the US. 

So if everything is different in terms of how the virus affects the US are you implying that the biology of the virus is unique and different in the US and that is ?  That proven scientifically based methods used in other countries will not work in the US?  What other things don't work the same in the US?  Chemistry? Engineering?  Or is it only the virus?  Please elucidate.

We don’t use the metric system so that’s different. 
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/positive-rate-daily-smoothed

and be careful saying every other country is doing great now.  Parts of Europe are spiking again. 
We can’t lock down forever, the virus has a 40% asymptomatic rate so it’s hard to stop solely based on testing, Sweden is now doing well with very limited lockdown measures, lots of research now looking at herd immunity being around 25-40% for Covid-19 and could Help explain some of the sudden drop off in hard hit areas (combined with broader use of masks, and population in those areas being more diligent).  

hope your more educated now.  Your welcome 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We don’t use the metric system so that’s different. 
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/positive-rate-daily-smoothed

and be careful saying every other country is doing great now.  Parts of Europe are spiking again. 
We can’t lock down forever, the virus has a 40% asymptomatic rate so it’s hard to stop solely based on testing, Sweden is now doing well with very limited lockdown measures, lots of research now looking at herd immunity being around 25-40% for Covid-19 and could Help explain some of the sudden drop off in hard hit areas (combined with broader use of masks, and population in those areas being more diligent).  

hope your more educated now.  Your welcome 

So the metric system makes for different science?  Interesting. 

Sweden also has a much higher death rate per million than its nearest neighbors.

Sweden: 571

Norway: 47

Finland: 60

Denmark: 107

The strategy of the country you held up as an act of brilliance on dealing with the pandemic managed to lower things, just like its nearest neighbors did. 

Except they did it at 5 times the death rate.  I guess you can claim success in that they seem to have moved past it, if you consider the higher death rate no big deal.

Denmark is having what looks like a spike right now in positive cases - which could be due to the fact it is connected to a much more populated part of Europe (with Germany and France nearby), while the other three are more isolated.  Even so, Denmark had a death rate 5x less than Sweden.  They haven't seen an uptick in deaths yet, but that may be 2 or 3 weeks out.

And you are welcome for your education.

I do agree with you that we could not stay locked down forever.  I feel the critical time was in the first 6 weeks.  A much stronger lockdown with a much higher testing plan during the critical March/April time frame and mandatory masks as we moved out into reopening would have helped us.  Some places had stay at home, others did not.  In those cases stay at home != lockdown.  We had nothing close to the types of lockdowns in Europe.  Some of that is due to American thought process (backed in some respects by the Constitution).  However, tighter restrictions were put in place at times during the 1918-1920 pandemic within the US.  Politically it would have been harder to do today, but had we had effective leadership at the Federal level, these restrictions could have been put in place more effectively by the Governors. However, we instead dealt with deflection, minimization of the extent of the problem, and straight out refutation of the science supporting what needed to be done.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, I am I said:

yeah I have grandparents (all rip) I know history well. My dad was a history teacher. I’ve studied.

Tell me the future, of history, when millions of people have lost jobs, trillions in debt, suicide, addiction, depression, etc etc etc

America is soft and I’m tryin to say to get tough. The virus is here. It’s not going anywhere. Get tough and go, it’s not going away.  I’ve given first hand knowledge of things from the past and present that support my view, from my experience. 

we need to toughen up. Get tough and SMART. Life is and will be worse by not doing what we normally do (being smart is a part of that) to just live life. Shutting down everything and isolating people is NOT an answer. Having 90k in the stadium isn’t either. I weep for my kids and those that can’t fulfill their dreams because of shutting things down. There is risk and there is living. I don’t own a motorcycle because at 43, it’s risky. I don’t cliff dive anymore because it’s risky. I don’t speed or drive after drinking because it’s risky. I go inside when it hails. 

I have a friend who committed suicide cuz he lost his job and had no prospects, Ive seen sickness w my son, thank god he made it. I’m sensitive to those things. 

I’ve lost my own job, I’ve seen my kids regress in education and socially lose a large chunk of their life (and it’s not going away soon, as far as life experiences in middle and high school normal stuff..prom, homecoming, dating, visiting schools, jobs)

if my mom went through Hong Kong flu, when millions of people lost their lives, if things weren’t “normal” during any sickness, then why is it different now, shutting down? Sequester those that are vulnerable, be smart wearing a mask, do all the right things and let’s get going. It’s worse if 200 universities can’t pay their bills let alone a large swath of Americans, paying theirs. So many opportunities are being lost and realistically may never be recovered. 

I voted “no” to a season happening months ago.  And I knew the power players with their cushy jobs and politics/power would be the deciding factor. Not the actual data. 

This isn’t a war against another man with a different uniform like WW2, this is people’s whole lives being decided by power/politics where the enemy isn’t going away by a bomb. 

The virus is here and by all data is deadly, deadly!...only to those who are old, compromised otherwise, or just who have bad luck with it. What we are doing to millions of children K-college is worse than if they get Covid. We aren’t doing anything! If you get it (and Frost even said kids at N have got it and are fine) you either recover or  you don’t. 

im not saying football is the answer, at all. I’m saying I love how Frost laid it out, very succinctly, that football is a choice that these kids have made, as who they are as young adults that they want to play. Life will go on without football. Life will go on anyway. Why crush millions of people and opportunities, if life will go on anyway? Get tough and move on 

I’m not for lock downs and shut downs. Problem is we couldn’t get approximately half our population to wear masks and practice some reasonable social distancing. Those measures are not too much to ask and don’t require the job losses we’ve experienced. Unfortunately some economic set back was inevitable. Restaurants, bars, businesses dependent on large unprotected gatherings, etc. were/are going to suffer no matter what. It is a novel virus pandemic after all.  Slowing the spread is and was necessary until treatments and vaccines are developed. That is the part of all this that is what it is. But if people would’ve just wore masks and stayed away from the beaches, spring break and all the other ridiculous things they demanded under the guise of some imagined “freedoms”, then we would not have suffered the impact we have.

Im sorry if you were one caught up in the job losses. That sucks. But the solution is not to go about life as normal. Not yet. And it is not to shut down things needlessly either. Unfortunately we have no leadership with a plan and helpful messaging. That would’ve helped immensely. When we vote for and elect idiots, this is what we get. It was going to suck no matter what but it didn’t have to suck this bad. The people that need to get tough are the ones who couldn’t be troubled to wear a mask for fifteen damned minutes on the trip to Sam’s Club.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

A driving reason for why the US response sucks is that there is no US response.  We tried to work it as 50 different countries, yet each of those "countries" did not have the resources (after the administration took a large amount of PPE originally destined for the states).  Had there been a comprehensive response from the federal government - which is basically what happened in virtually every other country that has started to resume some aspect of normalcy, the probable result is that the US would have lower death count and be more likely to be playing football this fall.

So, the arguments about how the US is "different" really gets old.  Yes there are some differences, but there is a mechanism in place within the constitution that says the feds can step in to certain types of emergencies.  That did not happen in the US. 

So if everything is different in terms of how the virus affects the US are you implying that the biology of the virus is unique and different in the US and that is ?  That proven scientifically based methods used in other countries will not work in the US?  What other things don't work the same in the US?  Chemistry? Engineering?  Or is it only the virus?  Please elucidate.

Two days after the virus broke in March,  there were no masks for sale.  Test kits were not spread around the country.  Few households had 2 weeks of food or TP at home.  Stores reduced their hours funneling more people together.  and that's before you wonder about how some nations are just less obedient than others when they are told how to live. 

Hindsight is not 20:20 this week.  There's many 'couldas' that are actually 'woudn't haves'

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Undone said:

So I think what I hear you saying is that you want a central authority telling you what to do - is that correct?

Kind of.  I'd rather have a central authority that has far more qualifications and resources lead us on a national issue than Billy Bob who got elected to the school board because he hangs out at the right bar.  

Sasse want's Billy Bob to make decisions.  Sasse is going to get Billy Bob decisions...

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

So you want to destroy Husker football and all it stands for, correct?

Wow.  I didn't know clarifying my point could be that dangerous! :D

6 hours ago, I am I said:

All the CDC has been asking Americans to do is 1) wear a mask, 2) keep six feet apart, & 3) wash their hands. 

That's it. That's the sacrifice. We could have gotten spread under control to a degree where contact tracing was again viable. We could have drastically ramped down spread. 

Not enough people listened to the experts. Instead they decided everything was political and got it all up in their head that they knew better. 

And here we are, on the brink of no football. Maybe those people should reconsider where they get their information.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

Did Frost just save the B1G FB season?  We’re perhaps going to find out tonight.  When he speaks, people tend to listen and for good reason.   There was no winning or pleading. Just facts as well firm and passionate opinions.  Made a compelling case IMO.  The scientist in me still worries about the risk, but every other part of me wants football.   I sure hope I was wrong about my season prediction.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

1940s Americans lived with rationing, gas punch cards, rubber shortages, copper drives, victory gardens, blackouts, loss of sports, and a dozen other privations.

2020 America is asked to wash their hands, stay at home and wear a mask when social distancing isn't feasible.

One of those generations took to those strictures with a will. The other is us.

We are not sacrificing. We are selfishly demanding our comforts and entertainment. 

To be fair I think if a tyrant started laying waste to all of Europe and started making his way into Africa and Asia and then started rounding people up and killing them tomorrow, people in the US would do their part if they thought it would help with that s#!t not making its way here.  In the 40's they made those sacrifices because they thought it was their patriotic duty to deal with those things to help the war effort.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

To be fair I think if a tyrant started laying waste to all of Europe and started making his way into Africa and Asia and then started rounding people up and killing them tomorrow, people in the US would do their part if they thought it would help with that s#!t not making its way here.  In the 40's they made those sacrifices because they thought it was their patriotic duty to deal with those things to help the war effort.  

Sure. But it shouldn't take a bloodthirsty tyrant to get Americans to unkeister their heads and do some stuff that isn't even all that tough.

39 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Did Frost just save the B1G FB season?

I doubt it. I think everyone still knows that there will be no football, nobody will be playing anyone this year. This sort of talk from Frost and others get the juices flowing, but I think it's a lot of posturing just to show everyone that they are serious about competing and don't want to hide from anyone. These words are for journalists, recruits, and fans. The presidents, lawyers, and doctors aren't going to be swayed no matter how much #letthemplay is trending.

• Haha 1