Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

How aren't women's rights activists not getting the pitchforks and torches out over this, most collegiate women's sports are entirely funded via Football. Nebraska, pays for it's entire sports program through Football. There will be tons of sports teams that just completely vanish because their schools can't afford to have it anymore. I don't want to lose College Volleyball because, the season is canceled. Nebraska's Volleyball program will be fine, but there will be a helluva lot less competition out there.

The state of Nebraska needs this, we are very dependent on the season, hundreds of businesses will shut down permanently because they can no longer afford to pay rent on the building because their main source of income is from the season. 300 million dollars like Frost said, is probably an optimistic number for our state. It will set us back years.

They can do the exact same thing the NHL is doing, put them in a bubble. There is a very real chance that classes will all be online anyways, there is no reason they can't all play. As Frost said, they are much safer being completely monitored by coaching staff, doctors, etc., they are honestly safer than all of the rest of us. 

The players want to play, so let them play, any team. We can have Primetime TV every Saturday night, College Gameday in Lincoln every week. We'll gladly take that national attention for our program. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I wonder if people will start following the three simple steps the CDC laid out so we might, possibly, maybe have Spring football.

My guess is no. And we'll be without football until at least next Fall.

At this point, there's not much reason to think things will be significantly better by the end of the year. We've been pretty much level for a while now.

vTEAc6l.png

• Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, Braskanoftheeast said:

How aren't women's rights activists not getting the pitchforks and torches out over this, most collegiate women's sports are entirely funded via Football. Nebraska, pays for it's entire sports program through Football. There will be tons of sports teams that just completely vanish because their schools can't afford to have it anymore. I don't want to lose College Volleyball because, the season is canceled. Nebraska's Volleyball program will be fine, but there will be a helluva lot less competition out there.

I can assure you I am heartbroken about the Volleyball season. The Final Four was supposed to be in Omaha this year.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Sorry, people getting hair cuts is not the cause of this decision.  Perhaps the mass protests/riots along with those partying on beaches could be a better source of blame. But, the so called experts (including Fauci) have given inconsistent guidelines from the beginning, and I get that this has been a "novel" virus, but once this virus was allowed to escape China and infect most other countries around the globe, there was little that could have prevented this outbreak.  Regardless. the "experts" stated the goal at the beginning was to flatten the curve and not to eliminate it all together.  In many locations the curve has been flattened, and when there is a flare up those have also come back down.  The BIG's risk management approach to this topic appears to be complete avoidance as opposed to a more balanced mitigation approach.  If they are taking these drastic measures for fall sports, they also better do only remote learning and not have any students in dorms, cafeterias or other common areas. 

Hi there, I do safety/high reliability consulting for healthcare, so I have an unique outlook. The point you made, that is now bolded and underlined above, couldn’t be further from the reality I was part of since January 14th. Warnings we’re given to every country and multiple health entities about the concern for the outbreak by the Taiwanese government, including the WHO, on December 31st. The WHO initially downplayed it as another simple coronavirus until they released a warning in Janurary 5th that finally changed their tone. The concern for the disease was shared with us and our company on January 14th (I will keep the email forever) by the CDC and sent out via our internal leadership team. If the CDC knew, you know dang well the admin knew. In fact, the CDC notification also had info about The briefings they had with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar. Alex “briefed the president on multiple occasions over the prior week.” So that puts the admin knowing by, at the very latest, on Janurary 10th. Deputy National Security Advisor, Matthew Pottinger, also had his intel updates fall on deaf ears because of what he called “political obstacles”.

The first confirmed case was Jan 21. We had enough data at that point to understand there was a significant threat with how quickly this was spreading.  

It took the admin until Janurary 31 to put a ban on travel from China. It then took six weeks until the admin issued concrete guidelines. That wasn’t because of misinformation at all. The narrative around this novel virus remained the same that entire time: Its dangerous, and it’s going to kill a lot of people. 

In fact, rather than listening to the strenuous and sustained advice of experts, Trump focused on and was often swayed by petty politics, advise from his uninformed business associates, and conspiracy theories. 

This multi-week delay resulted in a lack of effective quarantining measures, a lack of testing centers and equipment, a failure to reallocate existing resources, and most importantly, the widespread confusion about how seriously the public should be taking this disease. 

Fauci was consistent from the beginning by saying it’s a threat, we need to socially distance and follow quarantine guidelines. Had we followed those things from the beginning, Trump would look like the savior, not the fool.

March 10th - Trump to Republican Senators "This was unexpected. ... And it hit the world. And we're prepared, and we're doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

I could go on and on. The point is, we had plenty of early warning signs, the leadership of the country just fell flat on its face. They did it again by reducing restrictions too soon. Had we all taken this seriously from the beginning, including the leadership of the country, we’d have football games to look forward to in a couple weeks. Someone put it perfectly earlier when they said our country’s leadership has been an “unmitigated disaster.”

New Zealand is the perfect example of how to do this in the most effective way. Today was the first time in 102 days that they had an active case. That was only because the 4 active individuals traveled outside of the country and brought it back in with them. They’ll continue their journey, while we’ll wait for some magical vaccine that isn’t going to come.

Wear a mask, wash your hands, socially distance. Don’t be like my idiotic uncles who are currently in Sturgis, SD. It’s not hard, folks. Do your part and maybe we get football by next fall.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

Hi there, I do safety/high reliability consulting for healthcare, so I have an unique outlook. The point you made, that is now bolded and underlined above, couldn’t be further from the reality I was part of since January 14th. Warnings we’re given to every country and multiple health entities about the concern for the outbreak by the Taiwanese government, including the WHO, on December 31st. The WHO initially downplayed it as another simple coronavirus until they released a warning in Janurary 5th that finally changed their tone. The concern for the disease was shared with us and our company on January 14th (I will keep the email forever) by the CDC and sent out via our internal leadership team. If the CDC knew, you know dang well the admin knew. In fact, the CDC notification also had info about The briefings they had with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar. Alex “briefed the president on multiple occasions over the prior week.” So that puts the admin knowing by, at the very latest, on Janurary 10th. Deputy National Security Advisor, Matthew Pottinger, also had his intel updates fall on deaf ears because of what he called “political obstacles”.

The first confirmed case was Jan 21. We had enough data at that point to understand there was a significant threat with how quickly this was spreading.  

It took the admin until Janurary 31 to put a ban on travel from China. It then took six weeks until the admin issued concrete guidelines. That wasn’t because of misinformation at all. The narrative around this novel virus remained the same that entire time: Its dangerous, and it’s going to kill a lot of people. 

In fact, rather than listening to the strenuous and sustained advice of experts, Trump focused on and was often swayed by petty politics, advise from his uninformed business associates, and conspiracy theories. 

This multi-week delay resulted in a lack of effective quarantining measures, a lack of testing centers and equipment, a failure to reallocate existing resources, and most importantly, the widespread confusion about how seriously the public should be taking this disease. 

Fauci was consistent from the beginning by saying it’s a threat, we need to socially distance and follow quarantine guidelines. Had we followed those things from the beginning, Trump would look like the savior, not the fool.

March 10th - Trump to Republican Senators "This was unexpected. ... And it hit the world. And we're prepared, and we're doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

I could go on and on. The point is, we had plenty of early warning signs, the leadership of the country just fell flat on its face. They did it again by reducing restrictions too soon. Had we all taken this seriously from the beginning, including the leadership of the country, we’d have football games to look forward to in a couple weeks. Someone put it perfectly earlier when they said our country’s leadership has been an “unmitigated disaster.”

New Zealand is the perfect example of how to do this in the most effective way. Today was the first time in 102 days that they had an active case. That was only because the 4 active individuals traveled outside of the country and brought it back in with them. They’ll continue their journey, while we’ll wait for some magical vaccine that isn’t going to come.

Wear a mask, wash your hands, socially distance. Don’t be like my idiotic uncles who are currently in Sturgis, SD. It’s not hard, folks. Do your part and maybe we get football by next fall.  

I am not sure this should be allowed since its getting political. Mods-Does this need to be removed as my content earlier was removed as well.  If its allowed I will happily reply.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

@ZMagers22 not quoting your post due to length, but thanks. Sturgis has me baffled. Is it S. Dakota or the President? I guess S.Dakota’s going to take their money and send back home so they don’t care. 

My very good friend was diagnosed today. She’s been paranoid about it from the beginning. She’s a homebody and kind of a hermit. She has done all precautions and more. If she can get it, anyone can.  Due to her paranoia, she’s been tested several times over the last few months, so today was a complete shock.  A little cough and an occasional elevated fever- in the 99s over the last day or two. Scary thing is she passed the mandatory work temp check with a high 97 yesterday, so she thought she was being silly again. She literally has no idea where she got it. 

34 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure this should be allowed since its getting political. Mods-Does this need to be removed as my content earlier was removed as well.  If its allowed I will happily reply.

We can apolitically point out that the evidence suggests that outdoor activities do not cause an accelerated spread of the virus. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

It doesn't sounds like there is much concern with the opinions you shared about the President and others in the admin so I will take that as acceptance of continuing this topic.  

As I stated earlier, all leaders and so called experts have been wrong as various points in this pandemic.  When Trump issued a travel a China ban early, many on the left called him racists and xenophobic, including Joe Biden.  Trump was right at the time.  He has been wrong too along the way.  Nancy Pelosi was downplaying the threat in late February/early March and was promoting outdoor events in San Francisco.  

Regarding Fauci, here are some direct quotes from him:

“Coronavirus is not a major threat for the people in the United States and this is not something the citizens should be worried about,” Dr. Fauci, January 21st. He later said, “The American people…” Five days later, January 26: “The American people should not be worried or frightened by coronavirus. This is a very, very low risk to the United States.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

Fauci also was caught not wearing his mask properly at a Washington Nationals game and he was not socially distanced.  The point is that nobody has been 100% right or 100% wrong throughout this whole pandemic.  I don't believe any President of any party could have had this completely under control at this point where there was no further spread across the country.  We are seeing levels rise in Germany and many other parts of Europe and the world.  The virus was spreading in 2019 throughout China, Italy, and many other nations, and there comes a point where its nearly impossible to stop the virus 100% of the time in a nation as large as ours.

So the question becomes, what is the strategic goal for handling this virus. Is it to contain it and flatten the curve to ensure we have hospital capacity for situations where there are spikes, or is it to lock down most aspects of our society so there is no further spread.  If its the latter, my point is that there are strong psychological and financial impacts that should not be overlooked.  From an anecdotal perspective, I do not know anyone that has died from Covid, but I know of 2 siblings of my high school classmates that have committed suicide in the past 3 weeks as a result of increased depression and addiction that the lockdowns have brought on.  I believe a balanced approach is needed to manage the risks of this virus moving forward, and we cannot simply focus the number of tests/positive cases of the virus.  This is a multi-dimensional situation that will be around for some time.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Big 12 as of now is going forward.  We'll see.

Kinda feels like the conferences who are in wait and see mode are just delaying the inevitable, but i guess we'll see.

It's going to be really weird if the Power 5 does splinter and half of them play while half don't. The map I'm looking at makes it seem like the vast majority of SEC country is trending the wrong direction. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If you’re seriously concerned about posting in the appropriate forum, you can hit the plus sign to quote someone in one forum and then go to the correct forum and respond to them. It’s super easy.