Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Oh you know a guy :facepalm: so no proof yet again, just baseless claims based on Bo's fishtank guy. I don't mean to be rude but someone is either lying or doesn't understand how the payments work. 

it was part of the Cares act.  Rules were different for hospitals with poor (Medicaid) patients.  It was a reimbursement because there are additional expenses as it is a not for profit hospital.

And what proof do you have?  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

And deaths are being vastly under-reported. 

Actually over reported in Colorado by about 150. The gov ordered better counting methods after a dude died from alcohol poisoning and happened to have COVID. It made the national news. 

So we now have two numbers. Deaths from COVID which was somewhere in low 1700s last I checked, and death with COVID, which was up near 1900. When I look at at the NY Times data they use the latter number which is over reporting actual deaths from COVID. By the way, some Life INS policies do not pay out if you die from a virus during a pandemic. So if you were gonna die soon anyway and COVID pushes you over the edge you are screwed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

it was part of the Cares act.  Rules were different for hospitals with poor (Medicaid) patients.  It was a reimbursement because there are additional expenses as it is a not for profit hospital.

And what proof do you have?  

Articles have been posted on this subject ad nauseum. The CARES act gives extra money for COVID patients *on medicaid not COVID deaths. Hospitals get paid for services rendered not for dead people. If you really want me to link another article I will. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Articles have been posted on this subject ad nauseum. The CARES act gives extra money for COVID patients not COVID deaths. Hospitals get paid for services rendered not for dead people. If you really want me to link another article I will. 

go into the part about poor hospitals.

But nah- im going to have to go to work 

Just now, krc1995 said:

go into the part about poor hospitals.

But nah- im going to have to go to work 

Hospitals aren't recieving payment for reporting COVID deaths. Hospitalizations yes, deaths no. Why would they get paid for a death? They get paid to provide care. Unless you can dispute this fact that has been sourced over and over please stop making the false claim that hospitals are getting paid for COVID deaths. Its not true. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-covid-medicare-payments-hospitals/

• Plus1 2

I am curious what other rules and precautions the BIG is putting in place for student athletes as well as just students in general.  Will all classes be remote?  Have they closed all dorms and asked students to remain at home or in off-campus living?  Will they fine students who are not social distancing or wearing a mask?  Will parents/students get a refund if they are not getting the same quality experience that they expected to get?

If the goal of their decision to cancel fall sports is to prevent the spread of infection, I would assume they are doing so in all other aspects of college living but I have not seen any reports that addresses these questions and am curious if anyone else has seen answers to these questions.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I saw one instance of that in Florida but it was apparently corrected. Haven't seen any other reports on that sort of thing though that may be true. I know in Florida they were testing less due to hurricane concerns. Here is an article talking about the decrease in testing. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/accuracy-of-us-coronavirus-data-thrown-into-question-as-decline-in-testing-skews-drop-in-new-cases.html

538 and Covid-19 tracker have a few good articles on the subject.  If I remember correctly WA, and CA also had certain large labs report 100% positivity the last few reporting periods.  Regardless, TX, FL, and AZ have hit case peaks 10-21 days ago which is good news. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

And deaths are being vastly under-reported. 

May be and may not be.  It actually depends on how either the physician or medical examiner classifies a death which isn’t consistent across states.  Died of Covid or died with Covid.  Does a hospice patient with 6 months to live die of Covid because the death takes place 3 months sooner after getting infected. It’s not as easy as it sounds to classify cause of death. 

It also makes zero sense to look at tot number of deaths from a short time period like 3 months or 6 months.   Most studies of this nature wait for two years or longer to see what the total impact of unusual large events were. 

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

May be and may not be.  It actually depends on how either the physician or medical examiner classifies a death which isn’t consistent across states.  Died of Covid or died with Covid.  Does a hospice patient with 6 months to live die of Covid because the death takes place 3 months sooner after getting infected. It’s not as easy as it sounds to classify cause of death. 

It also makes zero sense to look at tot number of deaths from a short time period like 3 months or 6 months.   Most studies of this nature wait for two years or longer to see what the total impact of unusual large events were. 

We can see the impact now. Ultimately excess death kinda undercuts your argument. Why have 200k more people died in the US this year compared to average? Why is excess death consistent higher than average in every area in the world hard hit by COVID? 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Excess death data doesn't lie.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You don't have to look at that info.  Just look at the fact there has been over 200,000 more deaths than normal in the US since March.

• Plus1 1

Personally I would love to know what the total number of deaths are YTD as compared to other years.  I have been trying to find this data for 2020.  Are we really 200k more?  I haven't been able to verify that? 

I agree with the point that we have too short of a sample size  to draw too many conclusions especially due to the fact we haven't been through an entire flu season yet but as a high level view I think it would be interesting and it does address the granular problems of comorbidity&categorization.  I think it's another data point in the tool box to cross check other data.  And just to be clear,  I am talking about ALL deaths such as accidents,cancer,old age, covid, flu, murder, suicide etc etc.   

I believe I am just restating what people have said or implied but I want to make sure I have an understanding of the discussion.   

• Plus1 1