Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, Deaths are on the rise.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

And.....

Scroll down to daily new cases

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think the year over year total of all deaths period is telling.  Hard to say it was this cause  or that to skew your view when you simply look at the total.  200k more deaths than last year,  what's changed this year?

People not going for health care services.  Exercising less.  Alcohol consumption rising.  Obviously Covid is a major factor but it's not the only factor.

Since this is the football thread, why aren't we comparing annual deaths among people age 18-25?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 6

23 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Actually, in long term care facilities for some patients and Hospice centers for most patients (And these two places are where most COVID death patients come from) there is evidence to support it because doctors will give patients a life expectancy range based on current disease severity.  Life insurance Actuary tables will also give data on this. 
Doesn’t mean it’s absolute and I assume every respectable member of society hopes everyone else outlives what’s expected.  

And a hell of a lot of times, they aren't even close.

14 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

People not going for health care services.  Exercising less.  Alcohol consumption rising.  Obviously Covid is a major factor but it's not the only factor.

Since this is the football thread, why aren't we comparing annual deaths among people age 18-25?

You don't care about former football players??? Some of those are elderly!  :lol:

You can swing the narrative any way you want.  I still think a total year over year number is an enlightening statistic no matter how you break it up.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

Agree, seems to be hard to find. Here is a paper from July that includes an 8 week period from Mar 1 to Apr 25: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768086

To my (non-medical eye) this seems to indicate that there is a large amount of under reporting in COVID-19 deaths, unless a whole bunch of other diseases just went through a simultaneous excess death spike - which seems pretty unlikely.

Granted some of the increase could be legitimate for say, diabetes.  Some people that died in the increased 356% may have not had COVID-19 and decided to forgo going to the emergency room to get treated due to the danger of contracting COVID-19 in NYC during that time.  However, I doubt the entire spike is due just to that.

I would venture a guess that the increase in non-covid deaths during the months March through July coulld attributed largely to the lack of healthcare as many medical facilities simply stopped taking patients altogether.   Many cancer, heart and diabetic patients simply were declined from treatment, etc as facilities were afraid to take them during the those months.   Many offices were totally closed in upstate NY where I reside.  My spouse was actually laid off for a couple months as the large hospital she worked in didn't have many patients or work to do.   Many dentists, eye doctors, chiropractors, etc did the same.   Suicides have spiked up.  Murders are way up.  There may well have been a decline in auto accident deaths as there was some drop in highway traffic in some areas of the country.  Untreated or undiagnosed cancers will no doubt spike up as time passes.   I have read studies which suggest the chance of death from many cancers increase about 10% for every month that goes by before it is diagnosed and treatment begins.   Six months delay in finding these or finding strokes, high blood pressures, blod clots, etc etc etc.   These add up.   I am not going to research all the detailed stats but these are just common sense deductions when people forego routine healthcare for periods of time.    

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Good points.  There are various reports that deaths are up for a host of reasons that are not just from the virus itself.  The fear of catching covid and the impact from the lockdowns have resulted in fewer surgeries for people that needed them, increased cases of depression, anxiety, addiction, etc... that have increased suicide rates, and more.  Also there have been double digit increases in gun violence/homicides, especially in larger cities, with Chicago being just one of many examples.  It's been a rough year all around and Covid itself, or the fallout from the societal changes caused by Covid, have played the biggest part.  

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2020/07/10/more-people-are-dying-during-the-pandemic-and-not-just-from-covid-19

I think we would be seeing far fewer US deaths from the virus itself had more been done to protect nursing homes, especially in the state of New York which has had by far the most deaths of any state.  And there are some recent studies suggesting New York is undercounting Nursing Home Deaths so the percent could be even higher. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/watchdog-group-new-york-state-covid-death-toll-in-nursing-homes-may-be-much-higher-than-reported/71-6483dfbc-373f-4c06-82e3-7520be444e43

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the posting of data links for the excess deaths from everyone and the productive discussion. 

It's interesting how folks react to this situation.  I am getting my walks in and reaching better weight&blood pressure via healthy groceries rather than sedentary office work& chowing on fast food&pizza all the time.   I understand my brothers have leaned up as well.  I see a lot of people walking in the neighborhood now as compared to previous years.   

Incentive for some for others not so much.  

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, how do you know which ones?

So...it's OK if someone dies a year or two early.  No big deal.

you don’t know which ones.  Medical community tries to keep everyone alive for as long as possible with the best chance at the highest quality of life.  But when looking at the entirety of patients in said demographic health wise, doctors are pretty damn good at giving the percentages and overall those percentages are pretty accurate.  They are good at what they do.  

And you just don’t get it.  I’m not arguing we should have football and it’s ok to have people die earlier.  Why can’t you comprehend this?  

I’m talking about the REALITY of the situation in determining how and who this affects in terms of annual death rates.  We have 200,000 excess deaths to date and 160,000 are COVID-19 related.  They are all sad, all unfortunate, and I’m not gonna let you get away with trying to imply I think otherwise.   Next year or the year after we will have LESS deaths than normal because people died this year that without COVID-19 would have lived a year or two longer.  Hopefully less suicides.  Hopefully less stress in society which means less MI’s.  That’s my only point and entire point.  

Don’t care about football at this point because we aren’t playing this year and should not play in the spring if we truly care about the health and well-being of the student athletes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

you don’t know which ones.  Medical community tries to keep everyone alive for as long as possible with the best chance at the highest quality of life.  But when looking at the entirety of patients in said demographic health wise, doctors are pretty damn good at giving the percentages and overall those percentages are pretty accurate.  They are good at what they do.  

And you just don’t get it.  I’m not arguing we should have football and it’s ok to have people die earlier.  Why can’t you comprehend this?  

I’m talking about the REALITY of the situation in determining how and who this affects in terms of annual death rates.  We have 200,000 excess deaths to date and 160,000 are COVID-19 related.  They are all sad, all unfortunate, and I’m not gonna let you get away with trying to imply I think otherwise.   Next year or the year after we will have LESS deaths than normal because people died this year that without COVID-19 would have lived a year or two longer.  Hopefully less suicides.  Hopefully less stress in society which means less MI’s.  That’s my only point and entire point.  

Don’t care about football at this point because we aren’t playing this year and should not play in the spring if we truly care about the health and well-being of the student athletes. 

Why does it matter if there are fewer deaths next year. 

14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Why does it matter if there are fewer deaths next year. 

21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And that's OK.  Hey Grandpa....you were going to die next year anyway.  

This is a pathetic argument that I've seen other places as to why not take it seriously.

And...just because the majority of deaths are in the elderly, doesn't mean there isn't a significant number in the younger population.  And..not all of those were unhealthy individuals.

It also doesn't take into account the long term health affects of many younger people who get it and don't die.

Let me guess you have a career in media.  I said none of that and the picture you painted  reminds me of the level of forde, desmond and wilborn.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

The cold hard facts are healthy college age kids simply are not dying of Covid 19

The chances of.  College age kid dying in a car accident is 50x more than dying of COVID-19. so if the standard is zero then please ban all auto use. Life is full of risks and the minuscule risk COVID-19 is to these kids pales in comparison to the response. Those that want to play let them. Those that don’t want to, honor their scholarships and let them distance learn. 

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2