Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree with you that the original goals of the lockdowns has shifted.

Not a big deal here at all, but that isn't exactly what I said and that wasn't the punchline.

The punchline is that regardless of how we got to where we're at now societally, we have pretty large camps of disagreement of what the goal should be. Since there is a big enough camp (perhaps even the majority of Americans - I don't know) that believes we need to limit the potential for cases themselves, in my opinion that dynamic really won't change for a long time.

A long enough time that I feel absolutely certain spring football would be cancelled - and honestly probably long enough that the conversation on having the 2021 season won't go that much differently than it did this year.

If anybody thinks that's crazy, just stop to think about how many people back in April thought "this will all be over by around September." Not even close.

1 minute ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

As I walked around today and talked to teachers we had well over 80% attendance.  Probably close to 90%.

I end up with pretty much 100%.  But different schools get different results as you know.  Which is why it can be a great tool and it can be horrible. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Would have to reopen the decision by Sept. 1st I would imagine. Agreed? 

I haven't heard any reports but are any schools in the conference continuing with training camp practices? Or has everyone basically taken the week off? Would imagine there would have to be a ramp up period let alone planning a schedule

To start the 26th, I agree they would need to know by the end of this month.  Nothing saying they couldn't start later in October though.  That would be a lot better than the spring!

• Plus1 1

If I may veer gently into politics, trillions have been spent to shore up the economy. All well and good. 

But if a fraction of that had immediately been invested in simplified testing with near immediate results, more businesses could have opened with less infections. 

The science and the advice hasn't really changed. Flatten the curve to avoid overwhelming the system. Take simple precautions when interacting in public. Hold off on the large gatherings.

A complete shutdown while awaiting a vaccine that might never come doesn't make sense, either. We're being told we might have to learn to live with COVID for the foreseeable future, and this kind of testing and oversight sounds like a logical first step.

I don't know if we're gambling with the lives of college students to secure football revenue, but someone is gambling with their lives at frat parties, spring break festivities, indoor bar and restaurant openings, and oh yeah....expected attendance at school itself. 

The remaining colleges simply need to perform as well and as safely as MLB and the NBA. If I had to bet, I'd say it works, and the conferences on the outside will feel a bit foolish.

That's my .02 from behind a laptop, where I remain grateful I'm not a University president or attorney. 

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If I may veer gently into politics, trillions have been spent to shore up the economy. All well and good. 

But if a fraction of that had immediately been invested in simplified testing with near immediate results, more businesses could have opened with less infections. 

The science and the advice hasn't really changed. Flatten the curve to avoid overwhelming the system. Take simple precautions when interacting in public. Hold off on the large gatherings.

A complete shutdown while awaiting a vaccine that might never come doesn't make sense, either. We're being told we might have to learn to live with COVID for the foreseeable future, and this kind of testing and oversight sounds like a logical first step.

I don't know if we're gambling with the lives of college students to secure football revenue, but someone is gambling with their lives at frat parties, spring break festivities, indoor bar and restaurant openings, and oh yeah....expected attendance at school itself. 

The remaining colleges simply need to perform as well and as safely as MLB and the NBA. If I had to bet, I'd say it works, and the conferences on the outside will feel a bit foolish.

That's my .02 from behind a laptop, where I remain grateful I'm not a University president or attorney. 

Agree completely Guy.  Testing like this would have been a game changer 3 months ago but now is better than never.  I think immediate positive impacts are still possible.  

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Not a big deal here at all, but that isn't exactly what I said and that wasn't the punchline.

The punchline is that regardless of how we got to where we're at now societally, we have pretty large camps of disagreement of what the goal should be. Since there is a big enough camp (perhaps even the majority of Americans - I don't know) that believes we need to limit the potential for cases themselves, in my opinion that dynamic really won't change for a long time.

A long enough time that I feel absolutely certain spring football would be cancelled - and honestly probably long enough that the conversation on having the 2021 season won't go that much differently than it did this year.

If anybody thinks that's crazy, just stop to think about how many people back in April thought "this will all be over by around September." Not even close.

Fair enough, and I agree that if you play out where we are now and where things may be this time next year, I am not sure the dynamics will change all that much.  Covid will still be around in the US and the world, and it still will pose a risk to the more vulnerable in our society.  The primary thing that can change between August 2020 and August 2021 is our own psychology around how we view the virus and how we want to live as a society.  The vaccines will help eliminate some fear but it will not prevent the spread, just as a traditional flu vaccine has never prevented the spread of that virus.  I think we are starting to see a backlash to the lockdown crowd across many arenas including with what we are seeing from the BIG players, coaches and their parents pushing back on the decision around canceling the season.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It takes time to develop a test kit, test that test kit to make sure it really works, distribute it and train people to use it. It takes a lot more time if you are dependent on a foreign country for any of those junctions.  At some point more cash cannot make the chain faster. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It takes time to develop a test kit, test that test kit to make sure it really works, distribute it and train people to use it. It takes a lot more time if you are dependent on a foreign country for any of those junctions.  At some point more cash cannot make the chain faster. 

Other countries with less money did this earlier and better. 

• Plus1 4
37 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Cash has not been the problem.

In all seriousness. When I try to wrap my head around the cancellation (yes I expected it) I develop a headache. To me this should have been expected for no reason other then the media's reasoning behind whats considered "ok" gatherings. (Ex: "Ok" to riot/protest but not "ok" to assemble for church, "ok" to mass gather on a beach but not "ok" to gather for a wedding.. etc). The hypocrisy of the whole brings the sane to insanity. 

• Fire 2