Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Several posts have moved out of this thread into the Tangent P&R thread in the Woodshed. @Bledred if you wish to continue along those lines of discussion, please either do so there or in the P&R forum. Political commentary is not allowed elsewhere on the board.

Sadly, politics has corrupted the entire sports world to a sickening extent.  The entire subject of will they or wont they have college sports this fall is one big political cat fight.  I completely understand the reasons for wanting to keep the two subjects separate but its almost impossible to do in these circumstances.   Even an election, whatever the result, will likely exacerbate this problem.  Hopefully politics doesnt ruin sports forever but ????    

• Plus1 1

So Clay Travis is reporting that OSU is putting together a revolt against the Big 14.  Presidents from Nebraska, Penn State and Iowa are reported to be on-board.  The group is trying to convince two other universities (Wisconsin and Michigan) to join.  They all would play 10 games with a home and home, playing each other twice with no conference champion.

It will be checkmate.  Kevin cannot kick OSU, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska out of the conference.  These teams can then forfeit any scheduled games that are played in the spring (which will not happen because the flu season will be ramping up by then).  

• Plus1 1

I feel like this is just a continuation of kicking the can down the road. Warren's recent interview/letter still felt lacking. Winter/spring will roll around and it'll turn into a "after evaluating several variables and blah blah blah there will not be any football this academic year."

I guess I don't really see what would be different 3-4 months from now that would make football 'safer' (in terms of COVID) short of a vaccine. It felt like places like Nebraska were approaching the season from as safe of a place as possible. So if that's not good enough, I'm struggling to see what would be. 

• Plus1 5
10 minutes ago, Bledred said:

So Clay Travis is reporting that OSU is putting together a revolt against the Big 14. 

This will not happen. Clay Travis is indulging in conspiracy theories because he has no sports to talk about, and he needs to keep eyeballs on him.

I wonder how many sports journalists, all along the spectrum of legitimacy, will burn their credibility by peddling conspiracy theories in an effort to stay relevant. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This will not happen. Clay Travis is indulging in conspiracy theories because he has no sports to talk about, and he needs to keep eyeballs on him.

I wonder how many sports journalists, all along the spectrum of legitimacy, will burn their credibility by peddling conspiracy theories in an effort to stay relevant. 

He is mentioning a lot of details and naming names....including his source Jeff Snook, who is in direct contact with the OSU Athletic Director. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Snook  

He also makes another great point...if other levels of football are being played in each state this fall (High School and Professional) then lawsuits can be filed against the B1G (by persons representing the state and not the Universities) for negligence, failure to follow their by-laws and protocol (unanimous decision required), and lost revenue due to the cancellation.  No judge could look at this case and determine that is just fine for high schools and professional teams to play, but it is not safe for college kids to play.  They would be the laughing stock of the legal world. 

6 minutes ago, Bledred said:

He is mentioning a lot of details and naming names....including his source Jeff Snook, who is in direct contact with the OSU Athletic Director. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Snook  

He also makes another great point...if other levels of football are being played in each state this fall (High School and Professional) then lawsuits can be filed against the B1G (by persons representing the state and not the Universities) for negligence, failure to follow their by-laws and protocol (unanimous decision required), and lost revenue due to the cancellation.  No judge could look at this case and determine that is just fine for high schools and professional teams to play, but it is not safe for college kids to play.  They would be the laughing stock of the legal world. 

I know who Jeff Snook is. He is not well regarded amongst Ohio State fans, who are most familiar with his work, and has been rather spectacularly wrong in past predictions based on his "insider" knowledge. 

And just because High Schools are playing doesn't mean it's safe, or that it's a wise move. Football at all levels is being put on hold due to outbreaks. High Schools are not immune.

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That or write articles that spur an inaccurate narrative. Social media was perhaps the biggest driver of the 'Nebraska wants to leave the B1G' narrative, but we had legitimate media members peddling the same ideas in publication and on social media. It's no wonder people like Howard/Wilbon jumped on their soap box to slam the university.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

That or write articles that spur an inaccurate narrative. Social media was perhaps the biggest driver of the 'Nebraska wants to leave the B1G' narrative, but we had legitimate media members peddling the same ideas in publication and on social media. It's no wonder people like Howard/Wilbon jumped on their soap box to slam the university.

Shatel has been doing this since the 1990s. He's one of the main reasons I've never gotten a print subscription to the OWH. Jeff Sheldon's work with the VB team earned them my digital subscription, but you can't pay me to read Shatel's ramblings.

It kills me how well-regarded he is among Nebraska sports journalists. Same with Barfknecht. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

if they do try to play in the spring, the height of flu season, how is that safer in a dome stadium?

playing at a dome location to counter bad weather is a non starter, if fans are going to be allowed.

so you can kiss the spring season good bye.

this will be a continuing mess for months on end.