Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

I have a lot of great Nebraska football memories, but seeing the Huskers beat the Longhorns in person in the 1999 Big 12 Championship is definitely one of my all-time favorites. I can still hear the chants of "Opie, Opie, Opie" directed at Major Applewhite ringing in my head. 

That was great. Unfortunately, the record against Texas was 1-9 during the Big 12 years. Yay.

5 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The only history Nebraska has left in the Big 12 is OU, KSU, KU, OSU and ISU. None of those schools were legitimate rivals either as OU looks at Texas as a rival more than Nebraska. We really have no more history with Texas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech or West Virgiana than we do with the B1G at this point. Plus, the Texas schools over shadow everything in the Big 12 now so there is no history or prestige to go back to. Nebraska's history and prestige was all but run over when the Big 8 ended and our historical dominance stopped. People in their 30s or younger really have no memory of the Big 8 and the B1G feels more normal than it ever will for the older generations. Plus the next time conferences realign there is a good chance the Big 12 folds so there is no reason to go back to it honestly.

Spot on. Without cu and mu it doesn’t make sense. Oklahoma never saw us as a rival once the big12 came into being, Texas is their rival, then osu 

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Plus the next time conferences realign there is a good chance the Big 12 folds so there is no reason to go back to it honestly.

Yes to everything you said, but this especially. The Big XII is the first P5 conference to fold, guaranteed.  It's never been stable.

• Plus1 3

A few updates from SEC country.

AL and Auburn are reporting significant increases in positive tests (5x for Auburn in the week since classes began)

https://www.al.com/auburn/2020/08/auburn-universitys-covid-19-cases-multiply-by-five.html

U Alabama convinced the mayor of Tuscaloosa to completely close all bars in town for 2 weeks in attempt to get the cases among UA students under control (after cancelling all student on and off campus events for 2 weeks and sending threatening emails didn't work):

https://www.al.com/news/2020/08/tuscaloosa-bars-shut-down-2-weeks-to-slow-covid-spread-on-alabama-campus.html

Nick Saban advocates for football season:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/08/passionate-nick-saban-defends-efforts-to-play-football-amid-pandemic.html

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yes to everything you said, but this especially. The Big XII is the first P5 conference to fold, guaranteed.  It's never been stable.

Yes that may have been very true in the last couple of years, but the pac12 is a joke now and from a long term perspective football is going to be in Texas and Oklahoma for a long time, California. Oregon, Washington, Colorado-not so much. That limits options a bit and the big 10 isn’t letting in an Oklahoma state, Kansas state etc 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

A few recent posts have been moved out of here to the Tangent P&R Thread in the Shed.

Political commentary is not allowed in this sub-forum and must be kept in the Politics & Religion sub forum or the Woodshed @HuskerNation1 @Loebarth @Notre Dame Joe @Omaha fan

I am getting alerts for that forum but don't have permission to view it. 

ND nearing 450 cases.  https://here.nd.edu/our-approach/dashboard/

• Fire 3
2 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

Yes that may have been very true in the last couple of years, but the pac12 is a joke now and from a long term perspective football is going to be in Texas and Oklahoma for a long time, California. Oregon, Washington, Colorado-not so much. That limits options a bit and the big 10 isn’t letting in an Oklahoma state, Kansas state etc 

What?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

I don’t see the PAC 12 folding simply because it’s so far to travel week in and week out for those schools and their fans if they were to have to join any other conference. Geographically the Big XII. isn’t too far from Big Ten or SEC country, and West Virginia is right there in for the ACC to pick up

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

What?

I have coaching friends all over the country and I’ve worked extensively in California. I get email and Facebook messages from some of them monthly. 

see the below article with data from Forbes according to them football is declining and it is “declining at an accelerated rate-“ and the game will be regional long term. 

Long term football will be a regional sport. The numbers have already crashed programs in the northeast and now the far west. Cte. Less participation in team sports, high costs It’s just an absolute fact that  in some areas of the country football just isn’t important and is now considered to be part of a bygone idealistic Americana that many would like to see go away. 
I tracked down an article from Forbes this am that talks to what I’ve seen first hand almost to the letter 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rogerpielke/2020/01/28/the-decline-of-football-is-real-and-its-accelerating/amp/