Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I have seen a few places suggesting a Thanksgiving start date as well.  If November works, why not October where the BIG could align with other conferences and be a part of the CFP.  I am not sure the benefit of having a season that runs past the CFP as it would still deem the BIG irrelevant for the 2020/2021 season.  

I guess the CFP has taken over as the top priority in the sport and programs cannot imagine playing a season that cannot result in a playoff berth.  Otherwise you could play in winter/spring and really have the tv audience all to yourselves and a few dozen PAC fans.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Maybe i'm just spit-balling here but why doesn't the Big Ten allow each school to schedule on their own this fall? Let each school play as few or as many games as they would like so long as they get a piece of the TV revenue whether BTN or otherwise. No conference title, no divisions and essentially each team acting as an independent within the structure of the Big Ten TV network?

You don't want people trying out life as an independent without conference leadership, they may find out how much they enjoy it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I guess the CFP has taken over as the top priority in the sport and programs cannot imagine playing a season that cannot result in a playoff berth.  Otherwise you could play in winter/spring and really have the tv audience all to yourselves and a few dozen PAC fans.

You don't want people trying out life as an independent without conference leadership, they may find out how much they enjoy it. 

I am not saying the CFP would be a priority for ALL Big Ten teams, but a team like Ohio State that would be a likely CFP contender would likely want to find a way to include that as part of the season if there will be a season, especially if we are talking about the BIG and CFP only being off by a few weeks.  

Frankly, if they do have 6 schools simply agree and proceed on their own to schedule and play games, the big ten cant stop them as it takes 9 votes to pass a rule to boot them all out which they wont have.  Mutiny with a group of 6 is unstoppable it appears.  Would like to see the current by laws but since they voted to cancel fall, it is conceivable that a group of 6 or more can go on their own.  Big Ten is not going to self destruct by ousting that many members. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

These "reports" that the Big Ten is looking at a Thanksgiving season seems like an attempt by the league to buy itself time with all the pressure from parents and players.  I think they likely want to see how the first couple weeks of games in other leagues go before commiting to a new timeline.  If they see many games being places in the SEC, ACC, or Big 12, they realize the pressure for the Big Ten to play will grow.  If they see that many games are getting canceled they are likely to pivot back to having games played in 2021.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frankly, if they do have 6 schools simply agree and proceed on their own to schedule and play games, the big ten cant stop them as it takes 9 votes to pass a rule to boot them all out which they wont have.  Mutiny with a group of 6 is unstoppable it appears.  Would like to see the current by laws but since they voted to cancel fall, it is conceivable that a group of 6 or more can go on their own.  Big Ten is not going to self destruct by ousting that many members. 

Esp if one of the members is OSU

14 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I just don't see the spring season working while expected to play a fall season in 2021. While a playoff birth/National championship is obviously the end goal, even a Thanksgiving start date is better than spring ball. I just want to see some B1G football played this year.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

To your first point, the CFP is not necessarily the driving force but rather the being six months behind Southern schools and having a mess trying to cram 18+ games in 2021. Not to mention the scholarship situation that is going to be a headache. 

I think you misunderstood my point as I am not suggesting that all schools drop the Big Ten. It is that the conference could allow the schools to handle their own scheduling for 2020. Schools could play 2-4 games or they could play 8-10 games where each school controls their planning. It isn't that unreasonable as a one year exception given the current conditions. Big Ten could still own TV rights to all games and they wash their hands of liability as the schools then take on the scheduling aspect.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, PattyG said:

I just don't see the spring season working while expected to play a fall season in 2021. While a playoff birth/National championship is obviously the end goal, even a Thanksgiving start date is better than spring ball. I just want to see some B1G football played this year.

I guess if you wanted a lot of time before Fall 2021 then it would have to be effectively a Winter 2021 season.  I think the real barrier no one is talking about is basketball.  Even March Madness would be sidelined if there was Saturday football on.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I don't want to make a political post but the POTUS just tweeted he wants the BIG Ten to play fall sports. I won't share the tweet if this is the wrong thread.

Lol. I laugh because in Sir Yacht’s early days he insinuated that Trump was getting involved. Maybe Sir’s not a Cracker Jack after all. 

• Plus1 1