Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 8/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not saying the CFP would be a priority for ALL Big Ten teams, but a team like Ohio State that would be a likely CFP contender would likely want to find a way to include that as part of the season if there will be a season, especially if we are talking about the BIG and CFP only being off by a few weeks.  

I think Van Pelt summarized what I was trying to say here. It seems silly to watch other P5 teams compete for a national championship while the BIG does its own thing.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Toe said:

They will push on. What is Bama enrollment? 40k? 2.5% plus the kids that already got it earlier this year. Plus the kids that don’t know it. I bet 10% Have been infected. Another month and they will Have 3 months of herd immunity to get them through the season. :waste

Michigan football was COVID free in August. 822 tests.
Harbaugh tweet:

"Stay Positive! Test Negative! Play Football!"

Gattis tweet:

"Tremendous Job by our players and Staff! All while doing Football! Sports is the answer not the problem!”

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Assuming there's no outbreaks tied to this weekend's games the pressure on the B1G is going to really ramp up with football actually being played successfully. 

Observationally, John Q. Public is becoming less and less worried about this, even knowing full well the risks...essentially it is becoming a "LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!!!!!" mantra and just plow ahead. I am fence riding on this as I get both sides, selfishly I want normalcy but cognitively strive for common sense...I guess this is where 'Merica is on the see-saw

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Observationally, John Q. Public is becoming less and less worried about this, even knowing full well the risks...essentially it is becoming a "LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!!!!!" mantra and just plow ahead. I am fence riding on this as I get both sides, selfishly I want normalcy but cognitively strive for common sense...I guess this is where 'Merica is on the see-saw

Yup I totally resonate with you on the his. 

23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well yeah, and they got there with some extreme canceling, including sporting events. In the meantime India and most of South America has spiked hugely.

The gist from some folks is that the egghead beancounters of the University world might actually enjoy canceling sports, but I think the institutions are just freaked out about kids dying on their watch and will change their minds if the prevailing sentiment helps cover their a$$.  

Also: the money.

For sure...look at how Greek life has been treated/changed over the last 20 years.  The school doesn't want the liability. 

10 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Well, I think what is happening is there seems to be a shift from deaths to "We don't know the long term effects, what will this do to you in 25 years".  I think a lot of people have a hard time with that being the new worry.  

I get it, when you are 20 it is really hard to be like "Oh no, when I am 45 I might have issues because of this virus" 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

It looks like the CDC is now saying only 6% of the previously reported COVID deaths were actually a Covid death.  I know this is trending on twitter and creating a lot of dialogue, but I am wondering if some new data points like this from the CDC will help the BIG reverse course when it realizes that, while the spread of the virus may still happen, the worst-case scenario (death) is a much smaller percent than thought before.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get it, when you are 20 it is really hard to be like "Oh no, when I am 45 I might have issues because of this virus" 

Lots of truth to that as evidence by my pizza-nacho-fried food diet for the last 30 years.  

11 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Totally agree.  I was on the extremely cautious side of things but now I think I have seen enough to plow ahead and open things up.   I think proposed guidelines for risks groups are okay but let the 45&younger that are healthy go.  Go the Sweden route. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It looks like the CDC is now saying only 6% of the previously reported COVID deaths were actually a Covid death.

That’s not what they’re saying. They’re saying many people that died of Covid also had pre-existing conditions or conditions caused by Covid. If you died at a hospital with Covid and respiratory failure (caused by Covid), respiratory distress (caused by Covid), pneumonia (caused by Covid), you wouldn’t be in that 6% because that would be two conditions. Very misleading info being put out by some essential oils chiropractor. 

I honestly understand the argument that Covid is really only a big threat to elderly and people with other health concerns. But that point shouldn’t be made using bunk data. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That’s not what they’re saying. They’re saying many people that died of Covid also had pre-existing conditions or conditions caused by Covid. If you died at a hospital with Covid and respiratory failure (caused by Covid), respiratory distress (caused by Covid), pneumonia (caused by Covid), you wouldn’t be in that 6% because that would be two conditions. Very misleading info being put out by some essential oils chiropractor. 

I honestly understand the argument that Covid is really only a big threat to elderly and people with other health concerns. But that point shouldn’t be made using bunk data. 

Seriously people, she's a chiropractor.  You gonna listen to a dentist about chemotherapy? Similar deal here.

If we could get actual info, not biased by people's political beliefs, we could maybe have football still.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It looks like the CDC is now saying only 6% of the previously reported COVID deaths were actually a Covid death.  I know this is trending on twitter and creating a lot of dialogue, but I am wondering if some new data points like this from the CDC will help the BIG reverse course when it realizes that, while the spread of the virus may still happen, the worst-case scenario (death) is a much smaller percent than thought before.

It's not saying 6% were an "actual covid death", it's saying the death certificate listed covid as the sole cause of death.  If covid caused respiratory failure then the certificate most likely would list both respiratory failure AND covid as the cause of death and in this situation this death would not fall into the 6% stat.  

If someone has diabetes which is being managed and yet contracts covid and gets kicked over, then most likely this would fall into the 94% that died with a comorbidity, even though they would have continued to live a functioning life for the foreseeable future.  

Now people are running with this and immediately playing the conspiracy card.  

• Plus1 3