Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Not sure if this is a badly-worded headline or a badly-worded statement by Sebastianelli.  

Let's look at this again:

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

The headline-writer clearly thinks Sebastianelli is saying 30-35 percent of athletes who tested positive had myocarditis.

But is he instead saying that the ones who have myocarditis are affected 30-35 percent? That bolded part of his statement is what needs clarification. Because if he's just talking about one athlete (or a few) with a 30-35 percent myocarditis rate, that could mean only 30% of their heart is affected, with 70% being fine. 

Which is not great, sure, but is that what he's saying?

Ugh. 

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’m glad we can agree on something. I posted this over 10 days ago about the Big10 using a flawed study to come to their decision to cancel their season.

This study is either done by incompetents or by charlatans. Several sources viewed the study as laughable. This is one of the primary documents   Warren presented.

https://www.outkick.com/university-of-michigan-cardiologist-questions-flawed-data-relied-on-by-big-ten-to-cancel-season/

dude, you're quoting a website that sells "corona bros" t shirts. come on

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’m glad we can agree on something. I posted this over 10 days ago about the Big10 using a flawed study to come to their decision to cancel their season.

This study is either done by incompetents or by charlatans. Several sources viewed the study as laughable. This is one of the primary documents   Warren presented.

https://www.outkick.com/university-of-michigan-cardiologist-questions-flawed-data-relied-on-by-big-ten-to-cancel-season/

Sebastianelli isn't talking about this study. The study you posted the debunking story speaks of 60% myocarditis rates. That's not the number Sebastianelli is citing (and it's unclear after a re-read exactly what he's saying).

19 minutes ago, internetman said:

dude, you're quoting a website that sells "corona bros" t shirts. come on

Same quotes in the USA Today  and Detroit free press, same  doc, is that better for you now? https://www.google.com/amp/s/wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/15/michigan-football-big-ten-2020-season-coronavirus-myocarditis-cardiologist/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/3415933001

This was the study Warren cited, which again had been totally blown up by several credible sources- very  old news. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The difference is Penn St using MRI and everyone else using EKG, trop and echo. Let me do some digging on it. 

This is from a Cardiologist at Mayo:

"Because of the added concern around myocarditis, we’re now more likely to give them a cardiac MRI, for which that MRI might light up and show “abnormal findings.” So then we put them in the penalty box, even though they have no symptoms. If we hadn’t done it, we may have never known about these findings. In other words, we’re being more cautious and conservative than we need to be. We don’t get a cardiac MRI during flu season if an athlete catches the flu and shows no symptoms of myocarditis. We don’t know what happens two weeks after influenza, two weeks after the common cold as to the number of asymptomatic people that might show a cardiac MRI finding."

Cardiac MRI done by PSU is finding stuff that the Myocarditis screens done across other leagues isn't. The question is, if these athletes were given an MRI screen, post any virus would the results be similar? 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Looks like helmets and shoulder pads at least. I really want to watch Wandale play, he's insane.

Me too and yes he’s electric. Let’s hope the dB was a 8th team walk on that goes back to being in the band next fall. Since when does a cover guy not move his feet until the receiver is 6 inches from your toes lol. Then the dB does a full 360-haven’t seen kids do that since I coached my sons age 8 team- Wow I know the roster is being expanded but are we taking kids that have never played before?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is from a Cardiologist at Mayo:

"Because of the added concern around myocarditis, we’re now more likely to give them a cardiac MRI, for which that MRI might light up and show “abnormal findings.” So then we put them in the penalty box, even though they have no symptoms. If we hadn’t done it, we may have never known about these findings. In other words, we’re being more cautious and conservative than we need to be. We don’t get a cardiac MRI during flu season if an athlete catches the flu and shows no symptoms of myocarditis. We don’t know what happens two weeks after influenza, two weeks after the common cold as to the number of asymptomatic people that might show a cardiac MRI finding."

Cardiac MRI done by PSU is finding stuff that the Myocarditis screens done across other leagues isn't. The question is, if these athletes were given an MRI screen, post any virus would the results be similar? 

I've thought of more questions, I'll shut up about this soon, I promise.

If you are going to come out with this data you need to back it up. He had to know the media would run with it, because it is a crazy/scary claim. People will always report on crazy claims. I'd like to know how many players were given MRI's, how many MRI's showed myocarditis (was it 1/3, 2/6, 3/10???), was a baseline MRI given, how many showed symptoms of COVID, how many showed symptoms of myocarditis, did those positive for myocarditis on the MRI show evidence on EKG, trop, echo? 

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

• Plus1 2