Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Another non-response from the Big Ten.

That letter to the front office was nice, but it's not going to grind the sausage. If these state legislators want results, they have to hold hearings with their local Uni officials and possibly hold the specter of withheld funding over their heads. That's the only way they're going to get answers.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Another non-response from the Big Ten.

That letter to the front office was nice, but it's not going to grind the sausage. If these state legislators want results, they have to hold hearings with their local Uni officials and possibly hold the specter of withheld funding over their heads. That's the only way they're going to get answers.

I really like how they end with "resume as soon as it is safe to do so." We've yet to see anything that suggests sports are unsafe at this point. Yes there have been cases on teams, but no major outbreaks tied to them while there have been outbreaks tied to Greek Life, campus living, etc and 13/14 schools continue to allow students on campus. If anything the data currently suggest that sports are reasonably safe (most high schools seem to be ok and colleges too so far) and the B1G has more resources than most to make it even safer.

• Fire 1

38 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Well its hardly plausible to deny the political side when the medical is nonsensical.   Maybe Mich Gov just hates her alma mater and Michigan U head coach too!  Or hates Ohio State ?   Could be personal - theoretically but ??  

Maybe she figures if Michigan cant beat ohio state on the field and play spoiler for their National Title hunt. She will do her best to keep the season shut down so they dont have a shot at another title. :) 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Did I miss where the Michigan Governor decides if the B1G plays football?

Only if she shuts down venues and they have to play out of state, but she just reversed that edict. I doubt many here have been paying attention to her, but she was pretty authoritarian about COVID restrictions. My relatives either love her or hate her. My earlier point was that her comments are probably to simply support the Uof Michigan President for holding out on football.

• Fire 1

Is this the first postponement by a Nebraska high school (other than OPS cancelling the season?):

https://www.1011now.com/2020/09/09/kearney-high-school-varsity-and-jv-teams-quarantined-following-positive-test/

Kearney Public Schools said a student on the JV/Varsity football team tested positive for COVID-19.

The following football games are indefinitely postponed:

• Friday, September 11 - Varsity @ North Platte
  • Monday, September 14 - Junior Varsity vs. Lincoln Southeast
  • Friday, September 18 - Varsity vs Millard West

We will probably see an increase in these postponements among high schools as the season progresses - will that coupled with the recent death of the one player keep the Big Ten from playing until at least Thanksgiving?

18 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I really like how they end with "resume as soon as it is safe to do so." We've yet to see anything that suggests sports are unsafe at this point. Yes there have been cases on teams, but no major outbreaks tied to them while there have been outbreaks tied to Greek Life, campus living, etc and 13/14 schools continue to allow students on campus. If anything the data currently suggest that sports are reasonably safe (most high schools seem to be ok and colleges too so far) and the B1G has more resources than most to make it even safer.

Most recent example.

6 minutes ago, nic said:

I think Harbaugh is ready to lose again. Maybe they are giving him cover. He is a bit crazy.

I don't like him, but I do respect him.  I am not going to give him any flack, he wants to play.  I live in Ohio so I get caught up in the feud.  I am jealous, because Nebraska down't have anything like this yet.  Never will to that level.  I teach with a former player who played with Harbaugh and my boss is a season ticket holder.  They both say there is no way B1G is playing anytime soon.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

That's true. What's significant about it (if it was a Covid-related death), is that he's a young man, in the age range of the guys playing football, and it would show they are susceptible to complications, sometimes morbid complications, from the virus. 

It's stuff like this, and what happened to Feeney, that is keeping the decision-makers in the Big Ten from green-lighting football. I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying that's what's holding them up.

Do you really believe that these scenarios, that are so in-sanely rare, are driving this decision?  I am personally struggling with the idea that these decisions are being made concerning health only.  I am guessing its a little of both, but still consumed by the idea that everything is being driven by a political/power agenda.  Living in Southern California has not helped my sanity either.  :)

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Is this the first postponement by a Nebraska high school (other than OPS cancelling the season?):

https://www.1011now.com/2020/09/09/kearney-high-school-varsity-and-jv-teams-quarantined-following-positive-test/

We will probably see an increase in these postponements among high schools as the season progresses - will that coupled with the recent death of the one player keep the Big Ten from playing until at least Thanksgiving?

i think prep had to shut down for covid...or was it the team they were playing against?   either way they had to cancel that game.

24 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Do you really believe that these scenarios, that are so in-sanely rare, are driving this decision?  I am personally struggling with the idea that these decisions are being made concerning health only.  I am guessing its a little of both, but still consumed by the idea that everything is being driven by a political/power agenda.  Living in Southern California has not helped my sanity either.  :)

I think a concern for liability is driving this decision, followed by a concern for health.  

I think the people saying it's "political" have a lot more dot-connecting to do before that's a realistic scenario. Let's apply our skeptical minds to the "it's political" idea.

1. There's no direct line between withholding football and getting Candidate A or Candidate B elected.

2. There is no evidence that greater than 60%, and possibly up to 11, of the COC/P's are of a like political mind.

3. There is no evidence that, presuming #2 to be true and #1 to be the aim, that 60%, and possibly up to 11, of the COC/P's are willing to risk their careers - and likely the election if they were discovered - on the off chance that by colluding they could have an effect on the election.

A skeptical mind needs evidence before believing these scenarios. Other than "it's an election year," there's none for "it's political."

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1