Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So if the season gets started on Oct. 17. Instead of now like the other conferences. Due to postponing based on bad data provided by some guy at Penn State. What kind of financial loss will each university incur due to losing roughly 4 games each due to incompetent leadership? Sounds like a lawsuit.

Going to be difficult to quantify but tens of millions would be a minimum estimate. A big impact will also be felt on the TV negotiations coming up if the cable providers and major networks punish the Big Ten for the mess created. Going to be harder to get better deals than the ACC & SEC after this debacle.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So if the season gets started on Oct. 17. Instead of now like the other conferences. Due to postponing based on bad data provided by some guy at Penn State. What kind of financial loss will each university incur due to losing roughly 4 games each due to incompetent leadership? Sounds like a lawsuit.

The deal is the study information the penn state guy shared was just something he got verbally. He never saw the data or the report or how big the sample size was.

its up the Kevin warren to vett the input. You can’t shut down a league over something someone “ heard about” with no concrete data. 

Then when that data did come out it was immediately discredited by a dr at Michigan and of course later by the Mayo Clinic.. 

2 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

Good article with timelines on the canceled season announced by warren. All points to mayocarditis being the big deal that swung us from an updated schedule to a cancelled season a week later. https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/heres-the-thing-that-continues-to-baffle-me-about-kevin-warren/amp/

Not to belabor the point but their slipshod way of referencing it tells me they were not deciding whether to play but searching for an excuse not to. 

• Plus1 5

I think it's interesting that OSU and NU have really increased the aggressiveness of their messaging lately. Both states AG's getting involved. Carter was a lot more sharp with comments yesterday, Day's press release and then OSU's president earlier today was commenting about how top notch their testing ability is and NU announces a partnership for testing themselves and opponents. There is some pretty major wrangling going on behind the scenes, but this all feels very coordinated by NU and OSU leaders.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's amazing how many experts on the exact duties of the Big Ten Commissioner just happen to post here.

You’re right, there are lots here that seem to to very confident that he doesn’t do much at all. 

He’s a $4,500,000 a year vote counter 

great work if you can get it. I’m going to tell my 82 year old mom about that gig. she loves doing that in thE elections  for free and could use the extra cash. Hopefully Warren moves the the nfl and a spot opens up. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

You’re right, there are lots here that seem to to very confident that he doesn’t do much at all. 

He’s a $4,500,000 a year vote counter 

great work if you can get it. I’m going to tell my 82 year old mom about that gig. she loves doing that in thE elections  for free and could use the extra cash. Hopefully Warren moves the the nfl and a spot opens up. 

To be totally honest, I'd do the job for half that. ;)

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

So this is what I think the commissioner does at any large group consisting of those with a shared goal and deeply intertwined relationships but independent. 

Ok people today we are voting on this, if you vote yes we are playing, if you vote no we are putting the season off until spring.

no stating of pros or cons

no scientific data presented

no facilitation of discussion or ideas

Yes and if a more detailed proposal is needed they just go around the table to kraft it. Each person gets to add one word so every 14th word is yours. That’s how it’s done 

What a great gig. 

I've actually been a commissioner of sports leagues (ultimate frisbee), and I can tell you all from experience that the most important function of a commissioner is to make sure someone brings beer to the meetings. After that, it is sending out occasional emails and giving a lot of high fives.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 7
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

I've actually been a commissioner of sports leagues (ultimate frisbee), and I can tell you all from experience that the most important function of a commissioner is to make sure someone brings beer to the meetings. After that, it is sending out occasional emails and giving a lot of high fives.

I'll bet you probably gave more press briefings than Warren, too.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5