Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. The fans are fed up?  I reckon they have been inconvenienced for several weeks now. That's the real story of America's civil rights struggle:  why won't these colored fellows just dance and jump for our amusement? 

(actually a majority of the folks who make this country incredible support these athlete protests)

https://sports.yahoo.com/poll-most-americans-fine-with-players-protesting-speaking-out-153254478.html

From a non-white guy with a half black son-  There are serious issues in our country right now that I believe in strongly.  I don't use my place of employment to try to impact those issues.  I do however think the way they did it Thursday was tasteful and better than disgracing our veterans like some have done in the past.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just curious, but how was the kneeling during the national anthem “disgracing our veterans” when that form of “protest” was recommended to Kaepernick and others by a U.S. military veteran?

Those players weren’t protesting the anthem or the flag, they were giving a show of protest “during” the anthem. That’s the key difference.  

Sir. Perhaps you didn't see that yon poster has a half-Black son.

All your points are irrelevant in the face of that utter wokeness.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sir. Perhaps you didn't see that yon poster has a half-Black son.

All your points are irrelevant in the face of that utter wokeness.

I also find the “I don’t use my place of employment to impact social issues” argument lame, as well. Do most people’s employment get televised across millions of people all over the world? I know mine doesn’t.

I applaud these athletes for taking advantage of their exposure and status in the public for trying to make society better. These athletes have a “voice” which others don’t have. 

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. They could not spend a September Saturday watching football on TV and not realize they f#&%ed up. 

My thought too. Yes, a game or few could be cancelled or postponed. However, season cancellation was only indirectly about safety; its mostly about financial liability.

At this point, I'll always believe its political if the decision isn't reversed. Not necessarily along political party lines, but more along the lines of an attitude of arrogance that "we made a decision, we're the bosses, and tough s#!t if people don't like it" and "sports (neanderthal football especially) is further down our collective list of priorities". 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

My thought too. Yes, a game or few could be cancelled or postponed. However, season cancellation was only indirectly about safety; its mostly about financial liability.

At this point, I'll always believe its political if the decision isn't reversed. Not necessarily along political party lines, but more along the lines of an attitude of arrogance that "we made a decision, we're the bosses, and tough s#!t if people don't like it" and "sports (neanderthal football especially) is further down our collective list of priorities". 

My feeling is it was always political - the ugliness of politics has infected sports across most levels.  There may have been some  local, office type politics with certain internal matters but outright party politics has been kept away - for many good reasons imo.  Sadly, D. vs R. partisan crap is almost everywhere now.   It is a cancer that threatens our entire social structure.  Nonsensical boycotts, public disinformation and slander/libel and character assassination.  This kind of crap has no place in sports, schools, the local business community, etc.   Our society is so polarized the very glue of social bonding that holds our nation together is being threatened.  

The basic values and principles that should be adhered to  (as they always have before) are under attack.  Trust and faith in our public officials to follow the laws as written and do the right things honestly, without ulterior agendas and motives, is critical.   This is especially vital to those in unelected positions in traditionally nonpartisan or apolitical roles.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3

As a proponent of allowing play, this season may unravel at the end if "postponing" games continues to be permitted.  If the choice doesn't become play or forfeit, we could find a log jam of un-played games, w/teams picking & choosing which games they prefer to make up.  Not to mention it opens the door for postponing out of inconvenience given the "outbreaks" are cloaked in vague anonymity (rightfully so, but the point remains).  

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

As a proponent of allowing play, this season may unravel at the end if "postponing" games continues to be permitted.  If the choice doesn't become play or forfeit, we could find a log jam of un-played games, w/teams picking & choosing which games they prefer to make up.  Not to mention it opens the door for postponing out of inconvenience given the "outbreaks" are cloaked in vague anonymity (rightfully so, but the point remains).  

My hope is that if there are schools that don't want to play for whatever their reasons, they don't feel they need to continue to prevent other schools from playing. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

That's why 2020 = asterisk

I hope they play, because I will watch.  But, like a lot of fans, I don't care about results.  We all deep down know this season doesn't count outside of players getting some plays on film for NFL scouts.  

If they want to play, let them play.  If not, meh...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

That's why 2020 = asterisk

I hope they play, because I will watch.  But, like a lot of fans, I don't care about results.  We all deep down know this season doesn't count outside of players getting some plays on film for NFL scouts.  

If they want to play, let them play.  If not, meh...

Exactly. This season is not about winning games or leagues or championships. It's about players not getting screwed on their next level aspirations and for teams to not lose a full season of game experience. That's it imo. The season already has a huge asterisk on it.

• Plus1 3