Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 4/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, Decoy73 said:

Not necessarily. There are ways to distance while being in “class”, but not so much with contact sports.  

Can only distance so much in class. What about the dorms? What about the apartments? The parties? The gyms? Cafeteria? etc. etc. 

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Can only distance so much in class. What about the dorms? What about the apartments? The parties? The gyms? Cafeteria? etc. etc. 

I was hopeful at first, but now realize that herd immunity it the only chance.  My state relaxed rules today from 80% social distancing to 65%, meaning a select few can return to in person work.  My employer told everyone who has been telecommuting to continue doing so.  A ton of people are disregarding that and are showing up to work anyway today.  I have a feeling the rest of society will start doing the same, so we almost certainly will have round 2 unless people are immune now.

If we have round 2 and start over with shutting things down again that is the death knell for sports in 2020.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I was hopeful at first, but now realize that herd immunity it the only chance.  My state relaxed rules today from 80% social distancing to 65%, meaning a select few can return to in person work.  My employer told everyone who has been telecommuting to continue doing so.  A ton of people are disregarding that and are showing up to work anyway today.  I have a feeling the rest of society will start doing the same, so we almost certainly will have round 2 unless people are immune now.

If we have round 2 and start over with shutting things down again that is the death knell for sports in 2020.

I feel differently.  If the country opens up, round 2 will either be much larger and quicker (see original spikes discussed) or it won't happen until winter time.  In either case, I think there will be football this fall.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, runningblind said:

No way u get herd immunity under shut down / self quarantine as status quo.    If there is herd immunity possible with this virus (by way of mass infection & recovery plus a vaccine for at high risk (age 50 plus other health probs) , there could be schools reopening or big time sports perhaps.  
the shut downs prevent this.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I feel differently.  If the country opens up, round 2 will either be much larger and quicker (see original spikes discussed) or it won't happen until winter time.  In either case, I think there will be football this fall.  

If it is much larger, we have hospital overflow and we have bigger problems. I really doubt there'd be football then.  If it's not until winter,  then football stops once one player gets it.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No way u get herd immunity under shut down / self quarantine as status quo.    If there is herd immunity possible with this virus (by way of mass infection & recovery plus a vaccine for at high risk (age 50 plus other health probs) , there could be schools reopening or big time sports perhaps.  
the shut downs prevent this.  

I agree,  but I am saying that's the only hope fir football. I share @Hilltop's hope for football but I doubt it.

No one know yet.  The NFL is prepping all kinds of contingency plans.

I personally think they will do everything possible to have most of a season this year.  The biggest wild card is when will all campuses get kids back.

They could still squeeze the full season in starting the first weekend in October and be done by bowl season.  That might mean no fans for at least the start of it but I think they will go with that unless they absolutely can't.

• Plus1 1

“Collegiate sports differ from professional sports because all collegiate athletes are first and foremost students,” the statement reads. “Thus, resocialization of collegiate sport must be grounded in resocialization of college campuses. As with society at large, such resocialization must be measured, nimble, and based on sound science.

“In all instances, college athletics must operate with approval of the students’ institutional leadership; and the institution must be operating in accordance with local and state public officials with regard to return to campus, return to practice, and return to competition. In the end, institutional and governmental leadership determine who can participate in; assist with; and watch student-athlete practices and competition.”

So, just because professional sports may be starting back up, do not assume that college sports must also be starting. It will first be up to college campuses to resocialize under local and state orders in order for collegiate sports to come back.

On top of the NCAA’s guidelines for resocialization, the statement also documents three phases in which resocialization and the rolling out of collegiate sports must happen in. These guidelines are apart of the CDC’s recent Opening Up America document.

Each phase must be satisfied for a minimum of 14 days and see a downward trajectory of documented cases of COVID-19. Phase one includes continuing social distancing and prohibiting gatherings of 10 or more people, while phase two includes limiting gatherings to 50 people unless precautionary measures of physical distancing and sanitization are in place.

In phase three, gyms and common areas where student-athletes and staff are likely to congregate and interact can reopen if appropriate sanitation protocols are implemented. The statement does, however, warn of spikes and resocialization efforts to halt as a result.

“Once COVID-19 infection rates diminish for at least 2 weeks, resocialization of society and sport may be possible,” the statement reads. “Importantly, there will not be a single day of re-emerging into society as normal. Rather, resocialization must be rolled out in a stepwise manner that helps assure sustained low infection spread coupled with the ability to rapidly diagnose and isolate new cases. Bear in mind that upward spikes in infection spread may cause resocialization efforts to halt or even retreat until infection spikes lower again.”