Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

This is going to put a huge wrench in recruiting, I would imagine.

I've heard lots of concern that this isn't feasible for college football, due to the wear and tear on bodies playing so many games in 2021 (Spring + Fall ball) and that a lot of seniors are just going to opt to enter the draft. Also, hasn't the NFL said they're not changing the date of the 2021 draft for the NCAA?

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Isn't that going to be inevitable when we don't have a solid grasp on how to treat this particular virus?

I know changing tactics can be frustrating, but when it's being directed by experts (and not politicians) it's going to be for the best. 

what makes you think the experts are driving policy making?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Clearly you are being held hostage by radical thinking.

clearly those in control of spreading a false message reach out to the sheeple.

our county was just exposed for false reporting an additional 3,000 positive covid cases. perpetuating lies reduces compliance with any health directive. there is no trust, only fools who believe whatever they are fed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3
13 hours ago, kansas45 said:

The NCAA is made up of mainly this group: the college presidents. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/ncaa-101/what-ncaa

It is the presidents, not the coaches or the athletic directors because these people can be removed by the college president at any time. Thus, they are going to come up with stuff that protects their institutions and the last thing they want are lawsuits or their reputations damaged. So, there is not just one man behind the curtain but instead there are "men behind the curtain" and they are the college presidents. The NCAA has their medical professionals from all over the place. But one thing is for sure, people in these positions are "risk adverse". 

But not all NCAA schools have the luxury of having medical schools tied to them. Not all schools have experts in epidemiology or public health. 

Another poster noted this: [Our grandparents in 1940s America lived on emergency rations and the produce they could grow in their "Victory Garden" for four years. They met that challenge with pride and dignity and a forbearance that we should all hope to emulate.]

Many universities and colleges did not have college football because of the war. At the same time, a number of universities suspended their football programs. Eight members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) -- Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt -- did not field teams in 1943. In addition, six Pacific Coast Conference teams (Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, Idaho, and Montana) did not play, nor did Boston College, the Citadel, Duquesne, Fordham, Harvard, Michigan State, Syracuse, and William & Mary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_college_football_season#:~:text=At the same time%2C a,not field teams in 1943.

Someone here noted this: [I saw friends in Korea posting pictures of the beach and dining in restaurants.  I was jealous that we can't do the same here because we won't follow what has worked in controlling the virus around the world.  Likely cost us college football, volleyball, and maybe more if don't get our act together..]

How would you have reacted if Congress and the Senate, then approved by President Trump mandated or made into law the mandatory shutting down of all states or a law that mandated wearing a mask back in March or April or even February? 

But think of the size of Korea vs the whole of the USA. The United States is about 99 times bigger than South Korea.We are 50 states with federal and state and local laws. And we have a Constitutional system which are governed by "negative rights" which strongly suggests what the govt cannot do to you. Of course South Korea was able to contain and mitigate the virus. Look at the size comparison.

South Korea Climate Change: Geography

Yes, Korea is the size of Indiana, but it has over 50 million people so population density is a factor, much like Japan.  Korea also to be fair, required GPS installed on phones for tracking and issues fines of 8K for breaking quarantine.  Those two things might be unpalatable to the U.S.  The populace though wore masks, they tested and traced like crazy, and didn't send Covid-19 patients back to their family to infect others.  Those three things the U.S. should be doing.  We don't have to use Korea, Japan is another example where they value the collective over the individual.  Japan has the most elderly population in the world and a very high population density.  We could also list western European countries like Germany or even Italy are getting back closer to a normal life after suffering early by having effective leadership and a willing citizenry.  The Bahamas just banned U.S. citizens in their country today.  The Bahamas, who relies so much on American tourism for their economy.  The world is showing us about our crap leadership and our citizens with crap attitudes.  American exceptionalism, is being exceptionally bad in a pandemic.  There should be a federal mandate on wearing masks.  My friends of East Asian ancestry were always perplexed why Americans were so resistant to it.  It has shown to be a helpful tool against the virus and I believe science.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

clearly those in control of spreading a false message reach out to the sheeple.

our county was just exposed for false reporting an additional 3,000 positive covid cases. perpetuating lies reduces compliance with any health directive. there is no trust, only fools who believe whatever they are fed.

I don't think you can count it as a day on the internet until you've been called a "sheeple".

Screenshot_20200719-153245_Facebook.jpg

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If I have learned anything in all this political chaos and Covid Chaos is that whatever side you stand on in the debate. It is pointless to talk with anyone with a viewpoint that differs. No one actually listens- they just wait for you to finish your statement so they can say what they want to say next. They dont actually look or listen to the counter argument- their mind is made up already. So there is literally no point in talking about it. Both sides think if they spout off enough information that they (believe is the real facts) they are going to help the other side see the light- but the other side is thinking the same thing. Literally the largest waste of a conversation in the history of wasted conversations.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

The world is showing us about our crap leadership and our citizens with crap attitudes.  American exceptionalism, is being exceptionally bad in a pandemic.  There should be a federal mandate on wearing masks.  My friends of East Asian ancestry were always perplexed why Americans were so resistant to it.  It has shown to be a helpful tool against the virus and I believe science.

I can give you the crap leadership part, but its not fair to fault the citizens for "crap" attitudes. Our entire country is build on distrust of government and its over reach. It serves us very, very well most of the time. Pandemics happen to be an instance where that attitude is very harmful, but it is what it is. You cant have your cake and eat it too.  You can't have free thinking democracy and force people to all think the same.  The leadership needed to do a better job of conveying the science, and the science needed to be more solid. Entirely different game here if masks would have been recommended from the jump.. They should never have said they were contraindicated back in March, that didn't jive with science. There was a bunch of panic caused by bad science at the beginning, including the ability to transmit on surfaces. Virus' don't operate like that. The wishy washy science the entire time doesn't help convince a free thinking population of extremely varying demographics that anybody knows what they are talking about.. There will be push back when the message is not unified. I realize the science is evolving, but we would have been much better served with a "we are not sure if masks help, but we recommended them because decreased respiratory droplets in any capacity makes sense to reduce transmission," and, "we are not sure if this can spread via dry surfaces, but  most virus' can not survive on inorganic dry material, so we need to focus on respiratory transmission for now," etc.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

We've known masks are effective at slowing the spread since March. That hasn't changed, other countries have mandated masks and have slowed spread to a crawl, and they're going to be opening up again soon.

America has been too full of hubris and political nonsense to act in a unified manner, so here we are in late July still with no mask mandate and with Fall sports all but done. 

The people who haven't been wearing masks and haven't been practicing good social distancing are listening to the WRONG information. And yet, when this is all over, they won't have learned their lesson and they'll go back to those same sources because this is nothing if not a bull-headed, stubborn nation.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

It just seems like research and medical opinions keep changing, or better yet evolving.  I am in charge of facilities.  What we have to do seems to evolve every week.

@VectorVictor already got this and this isn't an attack on you, but that's what science is and that's what makes science useful and reliable. 

We build models that predict results, which are falsifiable, and then the predictions either are or aren't true, which results in the models being tweaked and through time and work and peer review and expertise, they end up the best possible knowledge attainable in the realm of things like deadly pathogens.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

@VectorVictor already got this and this isn't an attack on you, but that's what science is and that's what makes science useful and reliable. 

We build models that predict results, which are falsifiable, and then the predictions either are or aren't true, which results in the models being tweaked and through time and work and peer review and expertise, they end up the best possible knowledge attainable in the realm of things like deadly pathogens.

I just think it is the daily bad news.  We have been in a mask mandate for a while.  Where I go, I have only seen 1 guy not wearing a mask.  Numbers still going up.  They are still not testing everyone, even with symptoms.  (but they say they do)  You can go to a private place but test are always 7 to 10 days out.  We aren't testing everyone.  My son is going to college in NY.  He as to be quarantined for 14 days.   I said what about a negative test?  Doesn't matter, he still needs to be quarantined to 14 days.  Then why in the hell do we test?  I am OK even if he needs 3 days in a row of negative tests.  Who is paying for the quarantine?  Me, probably in a hotel.  18 years old hanging out in a hotel by himself for 14 days.  The spring was already tough.

He has had a crappy summer.  Selected to play in a football all-star game here in Ohio, cancelled.  Qualified for HS nationals in the hammer, cancelled.  His FB schedule (I have heard from a conference commissioner that FB is more than likely being moved to the spring) is probably moving to the spring and he will have to choose either FB or track.  I feel bad for him.

Maybe I just in tired of all of this and I needed to vent.  Seriously, I feel better, but nothing has changed.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I just think it is the daily bad news.  We have been in a mask mandate for a while.  Where I go, I have only seen 1 guy not wearing a mask.  Numbers still going up.  They are still not testing everyone, even with symptoms.  (but they say they do)  You can go to a private place but test are always 7 to 10 days out.  We aren't testing everyone.  My son is going to college in NY.  He as to be quarantined for 14 days.   I said what about a negative test?  Doesn't matter, he still needs to be quarantined to 14 days.  Then why in the hell do we test?  I am OK even if he needs 3 days in a row of negative tests.  Who is paying for the quarantine?  Me, probably in a hotel.  18 years old hanging out in a hotel by himself for 14 days.  The spring was already tough.

He has had a crappy summer.  Selected to play in a football all-star game here in Ohio, cancelled.  Qualified for HS nationals in the hammer, cancelled.  His FB schedule (I have heard from a conference commissioner that FB is more than likely being moved to the spring) is probably moving to the spring and he will have to choose either FB or track.  I feel bad for him.

Maybe I just in tired of all of this and I needed to vent.  Seriously, I feel better, but nothing has changed.

That stinks. Hope he can find a silver lining or two.

• Plus1 1