Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 5/1/2020 at 11:26 PM, Mavric said:

Unfortunately option #5 is the only one supported by any logic at this point.  I’d love to hear from any AD how they could possibly make 1-4 work knowing what we know now.  There’s been nothing.  No plan of action.  It just seems as though they are prolonging this as long as they can and refuse to admit the reality of the situation.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Unfortunately option #5 is the only one supported by any logic at this point.  I’d love to hear from any AD how they could possibly make 1-4 work knowing what we know now.  There’s been nothing.  No plan of action.  It just seems as though they are prolonging this as long as they can and refuse to admit the reality of the situation.  

This doesn't seem any different than any other area of the economy.  I think the NCAA and AD's are waiting to see how "okay" people are with the virus running its course through the U.S.  If we get to June and enough people don't seem to be outraged and scared about the amount of infected people and deaths, it's game on...

The government put out guidelines, but it just seems to be suggestions;  suggestions even they don't follow.  So, ultimately,  it's going to be up to the consumers.

39 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This doesn't seem any different than any other area of the economy. 

I'd say football and many other team sports are pretty unique as far as it being impossible to proceed with any sort of distancing mitigation  in place.  

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I'd say football and many other team sports are pretty unique as far as it being impossible to proceed with any sort of distancing mitigation  in place.  

Definitely.  My post was more about the attitude of many:" let's just plow through and hope for the best."  It's okay to hope for the best, but a lot of people are ignoring reality at the same time.

28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Definitely.  My post was more about the attitude of many:" let's just plow through and hope for the best."  It's okay to hope for the best, but a lot of people are ignoring reality at the same time.

I agree.  Plus people in general seem to focus on fans vs no fans at games.  It annoys the heck out of me.  Are coaches and players now dispensable in order to satisfy our entertainment needs?  

• Plus1 1

This is promising, but since football is an extracurricular activity, all of this is predicated on the fact that there's a curriculum for regular students. They'd all have to be on campus, in some capacity, for football to come back.

That being said, apparently there's hope for this season:

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

This is promising, but since football is an extracurricular activity, all of this is predicated on the fact that there's a curriculum for regular students. They'd all have to be on campus, in some capacity, for football to come back.

Multiple schools (UNL included) have announced they intend to have in person classes in the fall, so I don't think that will be an issue. That could change though, and unless they quarantine athletes a full campus definitely increases the risk. Gonna be a weird balance in what they can make student athletes do beyond what will be required of regular students.

College football games in the spring? They've happened before

Though we are trained from birth to believe otherwise, college football does not need to occur in autumn. This is good news, since we now know there's a distinct possibility that the 2020 college football season will finish well into 2021. It may not even start until then.

If the coronavirus pandemic demands as much, some of the game's biggest rivalries will be returning to their roots. From the Iron Bowl to Michigan-Notre Dame, from Auburn-Georgia to the Big Game, their origins lie in the winter and spring. Other prominent schools, such as USC, Ohio State, Nebraska and Texas, also played 19th-century games in the first half of the calendar.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't know if the main concern is lack of students on campus.  I would think the bigger concern is, what do you do with a team where 1-5 people get sick and you have a utah jazz/ nets situation where a whole team is quarantined?

I feel like no kids on campus might actually make football easier to pull off as they could just house them on campus, minimal people and still play games with no fans which is going to be the situation anyways.  Meanwhile, they would still be remote students like everyone else will most likely be come the fall