Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Here in Nebraska, fall sports have the green light.  

But one school already dropped summer baseball because of a positive test and a Class B school has a football player with a positive test.  

so all state high school football is a go?

5 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

so all state high school football is a go?

As of right now, yes.  All fall sports are a go.

There are a few things here and there that need to be worked out.  I don't think teams can travel on busses or vans, I think only 4 to a car and there might be some roster limits but I am not sure about that just yet.  I think for cross country they can't have more than 50 runners out for the team.  One of the coaches told me that the other day.

This is just stuff I have heard so far.  

There were over 60 MILLION cases of H1N1....we are around an estimated 15 Million right now for Covid-19, and these two things are on a different stratosphere mainly due to the news we are fed. 

I'm aware that Covid-19 has killed more people *we think* but this is why I always said people strictly look at death numbers. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

There are a few things here and there that need to be worked out.  I don't think teams can travel on busses or vans, I think only 4 to a car and there might be some roster limits but I am not sure about that just yet.  I think for cross country they can't have more than 50 runners out for the team.  One of the coaches told me that the other day.

Man whole teams have to travel in individual cars? Thats rough not gonna lie. 

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

There were over 60 MILLION cases of H1N1....we are around an estimated 15 Million right now for Covid-19, and these two things are on a different stratosphere mainly due to the news we are fed. 

I'm aware that Covid-19 has killed more people *we think* but this is why I always said people strictly look at death numbers. 

H1N1 infected 60 million in 12 months time. Maybe we should hold off on comparisons until we have an equal time frame to compare. To be honest the swine flu comparison has not been kind thus far to those who have tried to make a point out of it but we will all see as time goes on. 

And to be clear, killed more people means 10x more people in America, and most say that COVID deaths have been underestimated when looking at excess mortality data. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Actually the people who study this "think" that it has killed even more than the 145,000 reported so far. Also, people look at the death numbers because, typically, compassionate humans care when someone dies.

So, the fact that an estimated 15 million cases has caused 145,000 deaths and an estimated 60 million cases caused around 12,000 deaths is exactly why the news "feeds" us this information and it's also why people "strictly look at death numbers." By the numbers Covid is worse than H1N1 and that is with a much more drastic response.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Actually the people who study this "think" that it has killed even more than the 145,000 reported so far. Also, people look at the death numbers because, typically, compassionate humans care when someone dies.

So, the fact that an estimated 15 million cases has caused 145,000 deaths and an estimated 60 million cases caused around 12,000 deaths is exactly why the news "feeds" us this information and it's also why people "strictly look at death numbers." By the numbers Covid is worse than H1N1 and that is with a much more drastic response.

And unfortunately, COVID cases will likely end up surpassing H1N1 anyway. H1N1 R0 is 1.5 and new studies show COVID 19 to have an R0 of 5.7. Very big difference 

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's kinda important how deadly it is. People generally don't want to die. People generally don't want their loved ones to die. I've read your post like 10 times and I'm not sure what your point is. Are you really wondering why something that's killed an estimated 141,000 (CDC) Americans in 4 months is getting more coverage than something that killed an estimated 9,000 (CDC) Americans in 12 months? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

TY

On 7/22/2020 at 9:21 AM, Rochelobe said:

Assuming the college football season does proceed, with teams traveling to other sites to play.  In light of this: https://www.1011now.com/2020/07/22/nebraska-now-on-ny-ct-nj-quarantine-list-as-covid-spikes/  , does that mean Nebraska would have to forfeit, or travel two weeks early for the game @ Rutgers?

With a patchwork of 50 states doing 50 different things, this is probably another nail in the (already lowering into the ground) coffin for a season.

Granted things will probably change by the time of the currently scheduled game date (Oct 24), but this is an added hurdle to overcome.  If you have two road games one week apart to states that both require visitors from Nebraska to quarantine for 14 days, you probably have to forfeit one of the games.

How will New Jersey treat Rutgers' players that leave to play a road game in a state where NJ requires those coming from that state to quarantine?  Would all the players have to isolate without interacting with any people that stayed behind in NJ?

I could see other states implementing this type of scenario as the fall progresses as well.

@Cdog923

• Fire 1

Here is something that few have discussed. https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/football/lyons-sends-letter-to-ncaa-bog-urging-patience

NCAA Board of Governors meets on Friday. Here is the list of people. We will see what these people vote on to see if there are any fall championships. If no fall championships, could be the death knell just like when they cancelled baseball and other sports championships. Yes, I know football is different but if they cancel the volleyball, do the dominoes really start to fall? 

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=EXEC

But I see this move in lobbying the BOG to be nothing more than stalling for time when time is running out and hoping for some miracle to occur.  

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So, if they're going to shuffle the schedule, I wonder how that impacts travel accommodations. It's no small feat to house, feed & care for 100-ish people on a travel squad even without a pandemic. Hotel rooms are usually acquired months if not a year in advance. I gather that not many hotels will be filled to capacity because of the virus, but are they going to be able to accommodate these teams on short notice?

For example, on the current schedule Nebraska has a road game October 24th, but in the modified conference-only schedule that's now a home game date. There's no block of rooms reserved for any now-rescheduled appointment, so whomever comes to Lincoln will have to find accommodations on three month's notice.

That's a heck of a challenge for an athletic department. I'm sure all schools will work with each other to make this happen, but it's going to be challenging.

If they pull this off, the story of how they made these games happen will make a great 30-for-30 in the future.

1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

Here is something that few have discussed. https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/football/lyons-sends-letter-to-ncaa-bog-urging-patience

NCAA Board of Governors meets on Friday. Here is the list of people. We will see what these people vote on to see if there are any fall championships. If no fall championships, could be the death knell just like when they cancelled baseball and other sports championships. Yes, I know football is different but if they cancel the volleyball, do the dominoes really start to fall? 

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=EXEC

But I see this move in lobbying the BOG to be nothing more than stalling for time when time is running out and hoping for some miracle to occur.  

I'm very concerned about Volleyball. Even if we play a conference-only schedule (and even Creighton seems out, based on their conference's decision), it's unlikely there'll be a post season, and that'll be crushing for Cook who was banking on this being the second year of a two-year build for this team, especially with the Final Four being in Omaha.