Jump to content

Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?


Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

My gawd you guys are still going on this.  

 

You can find an expert that contradicts every expert. 

 

No one knows the answer, and I am to the point I don't really care if we have a season or not.  Kids are bound to get sick during the year, and possibly enough to have a major affect on the performance of the team.  

 

I am far more worried about the people that are living in terror of this disease.  More concerned about the people that are not being treated for things that need to be treated.   Wear a mask to protect them not for a f@#%ing football game.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Question: B1G, are you going to play football this fall?   B1G:

The original goal was to “flatten the curve” or so we were told. Somewhere we shifted to cancel everything until it is gone or a vaccine is found. 

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I am not an educator, but I work in higher education.

 

Ahhh...this is why you are passionate about  this "connected learning" and is considered a far superior mode to delivery of content than that of online and/or hybrid or face-to-face encounters. Makes sense. 

 

But isn't Zoom no different than an online class because the class is completing just a portion of the model that is synchronous but is still considered distance and/or online/remote whereas the online version solely without a "live" version or portion of the class is considered asynchronous? And are all LMS (learning management systems) differ in their bells and whistles that can either add or subtract from the online learning? And is there the aspect of the content that is being presented as well as the skill level of the professor that can impact the quality or quantity of this "connected learning" model?

Share this post


Link to post

I did two of my masters online.  I hated it at first but after the first or second class it was totally fine.  But college is different.

 

K-12, you need to be at school, socializing.  We all know those super nerds in HS that never socialized, got great grades, went to college and basically flunked out.  You need to learn how to interact. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

K-12, you need to be at school, socializing.  We all know those super nerds in HS that never socialized, got great grades, went to college and basically flunked out.  You need to learn how to interact.

 

I agree with that. There are just those students who are not motivated to do things online unless they have that interaction, that room that focuses on things and offers that atmosphere of responsibility and importantly structure. The temptation of just playing Playstation all day is just too great in my view. And I would imagine that there are those college students who need that structured schedule and responsibility to attend courses as well as taking examinations that can be proctored by an instructor. The online proctoring could be problematic if the student's learning platform from the institution is not compatible with what the student possesses as technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

 

I agree with that. There are just those students who are not motivated to do things online unless they have that interaction, that room that focuses on things and offers that atmosphere of responsibility and importantly structure. The temptation of just playing Playstation all day is just too great in my view. And I would imagine that there are those college students who need that structured schedule and responsibility to attend courses as well as taking examinations that can be proctored by an instructor. The online proctoring could be problematic if the student's learning platform from the institution is not compatible with what the student possesses as technology. 

The amount of free time in college, when you live on campus, is amazing.  I think people forget how much down time there really is each day.  If you are an unmotivated student AND you have all that free time...forget about it. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

You are delusional if you think all this chaos is random. Not just covid going on. Last time I checked this was the greatest country in the world and many envies and wants to move here. I’m not saying we have done everything right- but I am tired of all the loonies who worship socialist, communist, or just s#!t countries just because they put on masks sooner. Do you not see political bias in the reporting? Charts and data can look real good or real bad when you show selective data. Just stop 

 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

You know how often people washed their hands? 

 

What?

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

 

Ahhh...this is why you are passionate about  this "connected learning" and is considered a far superior mode to delivery of content than that of online and/or hybrid or face-to-face encounters. Makes sense. 

 

But isn't Zoom no different than an online class because the class is completing just a portion of the model that is synchronous but is still considered distance and/or online/remote whereas the online version solely without a "live" version or portion of the class is considered asynchronous? And are all LMS (learning management systems) differ in their bells and whistles that can either add or subtract from the online learning? And is there the aspect of the content that is being presented as well as the skill level of the professor that can impact the quality or quantity of this "connected learning" model?


I think you’re making an assumption here, I speak from feedback I hear from students and from what I read. It’s not passion about any one method, it’s that there are options out there for students and the delivery is still proficient, and my goal is to help find the right fit for a student. Connected Learning is a good alternative for those who might not be able to commute, but want that set time and chance to engage with the class yet. Unlike a sole online class where the instructor engages through the LMS with announcements and messages, while the class engages in thread discussions based on weekly assignments. 

 

I went brick and mortar for undergrad and I preferred that method over the online classes I’m taking for grad school where it’s more self-learning, but more freedom of time management to complete the homework and balancing my full-time and part-time job. 
 

People can debate skill level of instructors at any level and any method of delivery. Maybe I’m assuming here, but i don’t think there good instructors because they teach in-class courses, I’ve had some crappy instructors - one who called my doctors office to verify if I was sick or not. Just like anything in life; there’s good, meh, and bad. I wish I knew more about other LMS, such as Canvas, Blackboard, etc. to compare what we use, but yes there are flaws and it isn’t useful for everyone, but bottom line any method is dependent on the student. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Has anyone brought up travel restrictions? Nebraskans currently traveling to New Jersey have to quarantine for 14 days upon entering the state. 

Is that to allow time for testing why in the hell anyone from Nebraska would go to New Jersey?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

 


Sounds like the stereotypical lede your priest gives as he prepares to really drive home increasing your donation offering. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

It’s called “Connected Learning” where you have a professor lecture in front of online students “zooming” in while they are also in front of classroom. Pretty legit. 
 

Online classes aren’t all that bad either, if you have the discipline. 

They say Universities will have trouble explaining why football players can be on campus when the rest of the student body learns remotely.  I think they will have a lot more trouble explaining why students must pay a large tuition for the same education that could be delivered online. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

They say Universities will have trouble explaining why football players can be on campus when the rest of the student body learns remotely.  I think they will have a lot more trouble explaining why students must pay a large tuition for the same education that could be delivered online. 

Theoretically, you only need one professor to record the lectures for a given class for the course material. Thereafter, every student across the world could ‘attend’ online.  Tuition would be virtually nil.  Entire college degree will cost about $5,000 in a distance type approach maybe.  

Attendance at some hands on type courses and other activities may be required.  I imagine you can go online only for your entire degree program at some places already, virus or not.  

College was changing before and this shutdown mentality is accelerating that.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Millions and millions of people have had, have, or will have the virus. The # of cases is insanely under estimated. The mortality rate is less than 1% - fraction of that if you are under 65 years old. Of course no one wants to get sick and obviously not die - you could say that about any disease or virus. My mind is boggled that people truly think the best thing to do is bunker down for 12+ months. No open schools, close all restaurants, shopping malls etc. Then when they throw a vaccine at us we will all take it? Then we can all go back to normal?

I suggest checking your "facts".

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...