Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

Lack of experience or negative experience? You have no idea from which my opinion derives from. Face to face classes have their strength's and weaknesses. However, if online was such a superior mode of educational delivery, we would have switched it to years ago. But we didn't. The "sage on the stage" is still the most common and most desired form of instructional delivery and it is advertised by practically all colleges. "get the experience of small classes, interact with your professors for real world experiences." Yeah, 10 people in a Zoom and told to watch a YouTube video is really the height of the educational experience advertised. 

I just simply shake my head in disbelief by those people who sit in front of a class telling others that the days of the sage on the stage are over and informing people of a better way to do things electronically. But did anyone note the irony that people are congregated in front of computers in one room while the person in front of the group is essentially the "sage on the stage"? Why didn't this person just host this electronically and I could sit in my office watching it and then doing the activities that were assigned? But no, we are subjected to the same method that they advocate not to use. And do not get me started on those clowns that come in one day saying "hey, here is a new technology app that you can use, it is great!!" and then in a month they have a new one to share that is even better all the while I haven't even seen the full potential of the one they so strongly advocated in the first place. I call these people "app-hoppers." 

You ask the question: [What’s the difference between the student who sits in the back of class and doesn’t say a word all term and passes vs connected learning?] My response is: tell me. Since it is claimed that I have either a lack of experience or a negative experience. 

the kid sitting in the back is merely making an appearance, he wants to be disengaged or tuned in only occasionally, the kids sitting in the front are usually the brightest and are much successful students. the front 2 rows are the best in the house.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

College is expensive. Lots of kids aren't sure who they want to be. They change majors. Or end up never using their major. But as much as it galls me to pay for the "experience" I know that's what going to college is really about. Young adults need to get out of their comfort zone, meet people from other geographies and walks of life, make their own day-to-day real world decisions, make mistakes and be accountable for them, and most importantly use all the people they meet in college to get jobs and careers. 95% of the cost of going to Harvard is recovered by using the Harvard alumni network. UNL doesn't get you in the same halls of power, but it definitely opens the door if an employer is a Husker or used to live in Nebraska. 

Remote learning gives this generation yet another reason to stay in their room at their parents house, staring at a screen. With a few notable exceptions, it's not a good alternative.

agree, they never get a chance to articulate their ideas or knowledge, a skill that needs to be honed to be successful in the corporate world, not the mass protest and violence that so many want to major in.

It is funny because the lecture format is considered to be one of the least effective forms of teaching and in fact we (education majors) are pretty much told that all through college.  We are supposed to be entertainers and switch up activities every 10 minutes to stimulate, we are supposed to have jokes and connect with each student we are supposed to praise 5 times for every 1 negative comment, we are supposed to start each class with a brain teaser or a bellringer or a riddle or a magic trick so that we can capture their attention.  We are supposed to stop class before the bell and check for understanding...

Yep...we are told to do all that while in college...from a professor that is simply lecturing about it, but not doing any of it and most of the time has only ever set foot in a K-12 classroom to do an eval on his/her student teachers...or to do research on whether or not a 5 year is more likely to take candy from a plate or a bowl.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I think it's important to not create a false dichotomy where someone is in one of only two camps:

1. You're a "science denier" and you think COVID is not dangerous at all.

2. You're on every rooftop championing for how dangerous COVID is.

While, yes, the amount of giving a s#!t that people have towards the dangers of COVID-19 is a spectrum it ultimately can be broken down into two camps. I think your choice or making those camps the extremes on either side is disingenuous as that isn't what I've been saying (nor have I seen others go to that extreme). 

The way I see it there are effectively two sides to this. Those that:

• Don't take the threat of COVID-19 seriously enough
  • Those that do

Those two sides, have a spectrum which we've seen play out here. But ultimately that distinction isn't all that important, at least to me. I don't care if you think it's safe enough to reopen schools or if you think covid is a hoax to make Trump lose the election. I see the actions this group suggests we take as dangerous, even those near the moderate end of the spectrum.

Edit: 140,000 deaths definitely falls under the "it's serious" category for me.

I'll try to take you at your word here, but your refusal to even consider that hospitals are reaching/have reached capacity because one hospital hasn't been reopened (with no understanding of why that's the case) makes it hard.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is funny because the lecture format is considered to be one of the least effective forms of teaching and in fact we (education majors) are pretty much told that all through college.  We are supposed to be entertainers and switch up activities every 10 minutes to stimulate, we are supposed to have jokes and connect with each student we are supposed to praise 5 times for every 1 negative comment, we are supposed to start each class with a brain teaser or a bellringer or a riddle or a magic trick so that we can capture their attention.  We are supposed to stop class before the bell and check for understanding...

Yep...we are told to do all that while in college...from a professor that is simply lecturing about it, but not doing any of it and most of the time has only ever set foot in a K-12 classroom to do an eval on his/her student teachers...or to do research on whether or not a 5 year is more likely to take candy from a plate or a bowl.

lol, you are preaching to the choir!  there are a lot of skills to learn, to be a good instructor. engaging the students randomly can result in a lively discussion and set the stage for more comprehensive learning. got to use it all. audio and visual aids as some students are wired differently. you can tell if you are connecting by watching the faces.

12 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

the kid sitting in the back is merely making an appearance, he wants to be disengaged or tuned in only occasionally, the kids sitting in the front are usually the brightest and are much successful students. the front 2 rows are the best in the house.

Wow!! Judgemental and label-ist much?

I have a son, he won the national merit award, has a low level photographic memory, participated in a US Education study on memory retention in his 7th grade year finishing with a retention % higher then 98% of other participants. He went to UNL on a full ride (literally) and spent zero days sitting in the first 2 rows. Stereotyping leads to incompetence. It's not something I ever trust. Hopefully most everyone agrees!

4 minutes ago, Branno said:

I'll try to take you at your word here, but your refusal to even consider that hospitals are reaching/have reached capacity because one hospital hasn't been reopened (with no understanding of why that's the case) makes it hard.

What percentage of hospitals are currently in that category?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Branno said:

I did not and am not denying that some hospitals are at capacity. Don't make that claim - that is not true at all. If you think it's true, the misunderstanding is on you. I'm being really fair here.

A couple days ago you said:

"Many hospitals are at capacity."

Just so we're clear - "many" is subjective, not objective. I left a post for you on this topic in the shed; we can take it there.

13 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

There is a lot more to it than just the consensus of agreement argument. There are other factors:

1. faculty are resistant to going totally online in that would go against the need for instructors on what is known as the tenure-track;

2. online was seen as a cannibalization of their specialty courses in which there were factors as quality control, accreditation, standards, competencies and so forth that were controlled by the full time faculty; online has, was, and is seen as a direct threat to this model; for example, it would be cheaper to just hire a bunch of adjunct faculty to teach all the courses and this would cause the "shared governance" model (which I believe is fast becoming a myth) to totally collapse. 

3. schools also realized that if there were no students on campus, a university would just be a few buildings downtown with just a couple of administrators running the show; without active students the flavor and rich traditions that accompany the college experience were greatly dampened. With online education, you do not need that. Why spend money on a dorm if you are not going to go to a class on a campus and interact physically?

28 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

You’re right, I have no idea where your opinion comes from because you don’t care to share and refuse to believe there are alternatives that are equal to prior processes. No one is saying the days of in-class learning are over, but we have technology to reach more people now and learn at the same level in nearly every subject. Why would we turn that away? 

Prior to Covid, ask Michigan why they bragged about not offering online classes compared to other Big Ten schools. My opinion, because they’re about image and prestige, trying to be different. That’s not going away. 

I agree about the “app-hoppers” you describe - the bells and whistles as you’ve previously stated. I’d relate that to textbooks and “new” editions only to force students to buy new. Those profiteering aspects are in every industry and isn’t unique to LMS. Just a hunch, but I’m sure your industry has similar flaws that get you worked up over too. 

I’ll reiterate, college is about what you make of it regardless of any learning style. It’s not the instructor or institutions job to make sure every student learns, participates, and passes class.

I don’t see why you’re balking at answering a question, outside of attempting to control a narrative. 

Learn at the same level in nearly every subject? Ok, let's learn to do IV's online? How about taping an ankle? Hmmm...how about learning how to do mix chemicals in a lab? Ok, watch this video, get some of these chemicals like in the lab video demonstration, make sure you keep your goggles on, and we are not responsible for any mushroom clouds that occur in your neighborhood, write up your results. Let's see you demonstrate your teaching abilities in a classroom setting? Watch this video of how it is done and replicate that in an online presentation but just imagine you have a bunch of elementary school children in your presentation who are acting up and not paying attention but remember, come across like you are keeping them on task. How about actually hands-on experiences working with those who have disabilities? There are a lot more things that can be done kinesthetically or require the domain of the psychomotor skills than one realizes. Sure, a religion class, a humanities class, sure, those are your main ones but there are a lot of others. 

We use the tech as a tool to supplement the learning NOT as THE learning. 

You noted: [It’s not the instructor or institutions job to make sure every student learns, participates, and passes class.]

I will respond "yes" and "no". Yes meaning that students have to take responsibility. No in that there are outcomes that have to be measured. I can guarantee you that if a class gets all A's it will be seen as less rigorous and that learning is not occurring and if 1/2 the class get's D's or F's it is too rigorous and there is no learning. 

You noted: [I don’t see why you’re balking at answering a question, outside of attempting to control a narrative.]

What question did you ask? I was under the assumption that I lacked experience and/or had a negative experience, thus my answer(s) to any questions would be seen as invalid.

But if you wish for me to answer this question: [What’s the difference between the student who sits in the back of class and doesn’t say a word all term and passes vs connected learning?]

I can quickly engage with a student in the back of the class because I can theoretically observe the behaviors of students when in front of a class or a group. Let me see, can you see the expressions of all students on a Zoom when your "share screen" feature is on and there is a pdf or ppt on the screen? Look, I have given conference presentations and people in the front of the room are texting just as the people in the back. Look at the heads, they are all looking down at their crotches. However, on a Zoom, I can put up a background screen and hide or move the computer screen to block off my face and just show my eyes. 

Don't get me started on textbooks. 

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes

I'm not being dense here, Mav. Above and beyond their scholarship reimbursement, etc.? I actually feel kinda embarrassed if I've missed something here; I thought "student athletes" (that phrase gets more and more ridiculous each time I hear it) couldn't receive payment for playing.