Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is funny because the lecture format is considered to be one of the least effective forms of teaching and in fact we (education majors) are pretty much told that all through college.  We are supposed to be entertainers and switch up activities every 10 minutes to stimulate, we are supposed to have jokes and connect with each student we are supposed to praise 5 times for every 1 negative comment, we are supposed to start each class with a brain teaser or a bellringer or a riddle or a magic trick so that we can capture their attention.  We are supposed to stop class before the bell and check for understanding...

Yep...we are told to do all that while in college...from a professor that is simply lecturing about it, but not doing any of it and most of the time has only ever set foot in a K-12 classroom to do an eval on his/her student teachers...or to do research on whether or not a 5 year is more likely to take candy from a plate or a bowl.

A lot of people think teaching is just a job; it is an "art" and it is no different than that of being a pastor of a church in that it is a "calling." The best demonstration of teaching that should show, once and for all, why the face-to-face encounter in teaching is the superior mode. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

A lot of people think teaching is just a job; it is an "art" and it is no different than that of being a pastor of a church in that it is a "calling." The best demonstration of teaching that should show, once and for all, why the face-to-face encounter in teaching is the superior mode. 

Ha!  Classic scene!

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not being dense here, Mav. Above and beyond their scholarship reimbursement, etc.? I actually feel kinda embarrassed if I've missed something here; I thought "student athletes" (that phrase gets more and more ridiculous each time I hear it) couldn't receive payment for playing.

Yes, they get money that is supposed to help them pay for other expenses.  The most recent number I could find was from 2015-2016 when it went into place and at that time Nebraska's was $3,604 per year.

The Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) have passed legislation guaranteeing the full cost of attendance for scholarship student-athletes. In addition to a tuition free education, student-athletes will now receive yearly stipends of $2,000 to $4,000 intended to cover cost-of-living expenses.

The measure passed with near unanimous support, 79-1, from the 65 schools and 15 student-athlete representatives, three from each conference. Boston College was the only school to vote against it, according to NCAA tabulations.

Link

Just now, Mavric said:

Yes, they get money that is supposed to help them pay for other expenses.  The most recent number I could find was from 2015-2016 when it went into place and at that time Nebraska's was $3,604 per year.

I gotcha, thanks.

So $3600 isn't much money. What I was trying to say earlier was more along the lines of this: Let's say it's $75,000 / year. But you can't get it unless you play. The incentive to play changes by quite a bit.

Maybe this is a theory that people don't have any interest in exploring, given that it's all hypothetical anyway.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I gotcha, thanks.

So $3600 isn't much money. What I was trying to say earlier was more along the lines of this: Let's say it's $75,000 / year. But you can't get it unless you play. The incentive to play changes by quite a bit.

Maybe this is a theory that people don't have any interest in exploring, given that it's all hypothetical anyway.

maybe if these guys are paying bills back home but I'm thinking $3600 is plenty for someone on scholarship.

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

maybe if these guys are paying bills back home but I'm thinking $3600 is plenty for someone on scholarship.

Yeah sorry, it's a specific train of thought.

I was trying to say that if they were told that they couldn't receive 'X' amount of cash if they didn't play, they'd be pushing to play. Since this payment isn't taken away (and isn't a large amount of money anyway), it makes sense to say "it feels too dangerous to play and there's not really a lot in it for me; let's cancel this thing."

9 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Most derailed thread in 2020?

I don't know, I was not around in 2019 or before. But I think we are all waiting to see what the news will be from the NCAA BOG vote today. Then this place is going to get on track.

56 minutes ago, Undone said:

They get a check that they can deposit into their bank account?

Yes. Not only do they get a 'cost of living' stipend (a few thousand dollars), but they get other money in a lot of other ways as well.

Their scholarship includes room & board. At UNL room & board is $11,430. However if they live off campus, then they get a check cut for the total amount of room & board. Players usually live in houses together so say they live in Lincoln year round for $500 rent/utilities, that's $6,000. That means the player has $5,430 left over that's just theirs.

There's also the Student Assistance Fund, which provides players money for things they need but aren't covered under a scholarship - flights home, child care costs, summer school, graduate test fees, etc. And they get several hundred dollars to purchase non-athletic clothing such as suits.

None of that goes into the non-monetary value of professional world class strength and conditioning, nutrition, tutoring, life skill training, physical therapy, opportunity to travel, bowl game gifts, clothing, publicity, and so on.

Oh, and now players are allowed to get paid actual money for their own likeness as well.

• Plus1 1

Back to the original topic of this thread.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29531742/entire-michigan-state-football-team-quarantine

Michigan State's entire football team will quarantine or self-isolate for 14 days after a second staff member and one athlete tested positive for COVID-19, the team announced Friday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/11-cities-aggressive-coronavirus-birx-cases

During a phone call Wednesday with hundreds of state and city officials, Birx explained that Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Miami, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, Pittsburgh and St. Louis were not doing enough to combat outbreaks in their cities.

Aren't a few of these places where P5 schools are located or considered very close to? I have moved to 7.8 on my scale (10=covid apocalypse, 0=new world order takeover). 

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

agree, they never get a chance to articulate their ideas or knowledge, a skill that needs to be honed to be successful in the corporate world, not the mass protest and violence that so many want to major in.

The mass protests have had a profound effect on the corporate world. There are a lot of ways to exercise power, and some of the people without it found a way to make a difference. Hats off to them.

Not sure you want to delve into who is majoring in violence these days. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Most derailed thread in 2020?

Back on topic: I think the possibility of a 2020 college football season improved a tick last night. 

Two Major League Baseball games were played on ESPN, with cardboard cutouts in the stands and piped in crowd noise. And it really didn't seem that weird. It looked just like baseball. The ESPN crawl included the results of NBA scrimmages, Mike Tyson announcing his boxing comeback against Roy Jones in September, and the Pac 12 approving plans for a 10 game season. 

People are reactionary, and the sight of relatively normal sports will bolster the folks trying to pull this off.

A lot can still go wrong, and as the full slate of MLB games puts teams in planes, buses and hotels we'll get the real test. If the NBA and MLB are working simultaneously the next couple weeks, I'd give college football solid 50/50 odds.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Yes. Not only do they get a 'cost of living' stipend (a few thousand dollars), but they get other money in a lot of other ways as well.

Their scholarship includes room & board. At UNL room & board is $11,430. However if they live off campus, then they get a check cut for the total amount of room & board. Players usually live in houses together so say they live in Lincoln year round for $500 rent/utilities, that's $6,000. That means the player has $5,430 left over that's just theirs.

There's also the Student Assistance Fund, which provides players money for things they need but aren't covered under a scholarship - flights home, child care costs, summer school, graduate test fees, etc. And they get several hundred dollars to purchase non-athletic clothing such as suits.

None of that goes into the non-monetary value of professional world class strength and conditioning, nutrition, tutoring, life skill training, physical therapy, opportunity to travel, bowl game gifts, clothing, publicity, and so on.

Oh, and now players are allowed to get paid actual money for their own likeness as well.

Husker players don't get bowl game gifts anymore Haha

But yeah, the big thing is when they move off campus.  Really easy to find a 3 or 4 bedroom house in Lincoln that you can rent for 900-1200 a month.  That is where they save major cash.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

What percentage of hospitals are currently in that category?

I'm going to stick with Texas, since its where I live and I neither have enough time to nor care enough to research all 50 states (or even just those hit the hardest) and well... honestly... open ICU beds in Nebraska don't help someone sick in Texas.

I can't give you an answer. Texas doesn't report individual hospital numbers like that. It's all regional and even these numbers aren't complete due to the recent reporting changes from Trump.

What I can say is that statewide Texas is at currently at 73.6% capacity, with only 1267 ICU beds available. 

The "Capital Region" where I live has 23 open ICU beds for 2.3 million people, with overall capacity at 83%. There are at least 15 hospitals serving this region.

North Central Texas Region (Dallas/Ft Worth) has 279 open ICU beds for 8 million people, with overall capacity at 89%. There are at least 24 hospitals serving this region.

There are other regions that are just as bad, and some less populated areas that have higher capacity available. If you want more info this is a great resource (for Texas) https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/

• Thanks 1