Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The mass protests have had a profound effect on the corporate world. There are a lot of ways to exercise power, and some of the people without it found a way to make a difference. Hats off to them.

Not sure you want to delve into who is majoring in violence these days. 

Yes they did. Corporations are seeing GDP highs like none other for Q2. Stock market is back around pre-Covid, and politicians have reinvested what they took out before the plummet. But hey, corporations aren’t advertising in FB and Twitter so liberals won’t boycott/protest and republicans don’t have the nuts to speak up. 

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I did not and am not denying that some hospitals are at capacity. Don't make that claim - that is not true at all. If you think it's true, the misunderstanding is on you. I'm being really fair here.

A couple days ago you said:

"Many hospitals are at capacity."

Just so we're clear - "many" is subjective, not objective. I left a post for you on this topic in the shed; we can take it there.

I chose many, because due to differences in how states collect data and the Executive Branch's decision to change how data is reported to make it not available to the public it's hard to be specific.

Regardless, this is a football forum. How much specificity is needed?

But seriously, man nothing about how you approached this would be considered fair:

Link? Seriously - provide me some evidence to show this is actually a true statement.

I don't understand the combativeness, the accusatory tone. What I said wasn't outrageous. If you want clarification, there are much better ways to ask.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I oppose, it's a slippery slope.

How so?

I personally think it is a short term fix for a season that, in my estimation, will not be played. But I can see where you think it is a square peg being rounded off to fit in round hole but would enjoy your rationale.

39 minutes ago, Branno said:

I'm going to stick with Texas, since its where I live and I neither have enough time to nor care enough to research all 50 states (or even just those hit the hardest) and well... honestly... open ICU beds in Nebraska don't help someone sick in Texas.

I can't give you an answer. Texas doesn't report individual hospital numbers like that. It's all regional and even these numbers aren't complete due to the recent reporting changes from Trump.

What I can say is that statewide Texas is at currently at 73.6% capacity, with only 1267 ICU beds available. 

The "Capital Region" where I live has 23 open ICU beds for 2.3 million people, with overall capacity at 83%. There are at least 15 hospitals serving this region.

North Central Texas Region (Dallas/Ft Worth) has 279 open ICU beds for 8 million people, with overall capacity at 89%. There are at least 24 hospitals serving this region.

There are other regions that are just as bad, and some less populated areas that have higher capacity available. If you want more info this is a great resource (for Texas) https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/

So you keep accusing people of not recognizing that hospitals are strained and getting overcrowded without any actual evidence that this is happening.  Good logic.

You're citing a lot of statistics that don't really say anything.  According to other statistics posted, 73.6% isn't a lot over normal occupancy.  There could have been almost four times the amount of COVID patients as there currently are before reaching full occupancy.

I don't think your argument is nearly as strong as you'd like it to be.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Yes they did. Corporations are seeing GDP highs like none other for Q2. Stock market is back around pre-Covid, and politicians have reinvested what they took out before the plummet. But hey, corporations aren’t advertising in FB and Twitter so liberals won’t boycott/protest and republicans don’t have the nuts to speak up. 

The Capitalist Tools at Forbes think you're being a tad limited in your assumptions: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geristengel/2020/06/17/black-lives-matter-protests-moves-corporate-di-initiatives-into-the-spotlight/#2f60bbc47a0d

btw....if Republicans had the nuts to speak up, what would they say? We prefer not to move in that less-racist direction? 

Also, Dan Snyder swore he would never, ever, rename the Washington Redskins. He didn't care what the protestors thought. But Federal Express did. 

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yes. Not only do they get a 'cost of living' stipend (a few thousand dollars), but they get other money in a lot of other ways as well.

Their scholarship includes room & board. At UNL room & board is $11,430. However if they live off campus, then they get a check cut for the total amount of room & board. Players usually live in houses together so say they live in Lincoln year round for $500 rent/utilities, that's $6,000. That means the player has $5,430 left over that's just theirs.

There's also the Student Assistance Fund, which provides players money for things they need but aren't covered under a scholarship - flights home, child care costs, summer school, graduate test fees, etc. And they get several hundred dollars to purchase non-athletic clothing such as suits.

None of that goes into the non-monetary value of professional world class strength and conditioning, nutrition, tutoring, life skill training, physical therapy, opportunity to travel, bowl game gifts, clothing, publicity, and so on.

Oh, and now players are allowed to get paid actual money for their own likeness as well.

In the 60's UNL scholarship players got $15 a month to do whatever they wanted with. 

I've been looking into the ICU bed situation because it's really the flashpoint for whether the surge becomes a crisis like we saw in New York, Italy, and Spain. I honestly can't find any stats suggesting it's a crisis yet. Apparently hospitals are expected to regularly hit 70% ICU occupancy in non-pandemic times, and the current hotspots (states, if not counties or municipalities) aren't much over 70% -- at least not last week. My searches turn up individual localities that are bracing and prepared, but no one being overwhelmed at the moment. Let me know if I'm missing something. 

When they do go over capacity it can come quick and too late to stop, so vigilance is necessary. Just not seeing the stressed out ICUs from the first COVID wave, which is good. 

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

How so?

I personally think it is a short term fix for a season that, in my estimation, will not be played. But I can see where you think it is a square peg being rounded off to fit in round hole but would enjoy your rationale.

It would provide cover to those who want to give up football independence and allow them to bypass explaining it to the community. 

My state's ICU capacity hasn't changed in over a month, 85%-90%.  That tells me they are tightly regulating who can be admitted. 

56 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've been looking into the ICU bed situation because it's really the flashpoint for whether the surge becomes a crisis like we saw in New York, Italy, and Spain. I honestly can't find any stats suggesting it's a crisis yet. Apparently hospitals are expected to regularly hit 70% ICU occupancy in non-pandemic times, and the current hotspots (states, if not counties or municipalities) aren't much over 70% -- at least not last week. My searches turn up individual localities that are bracing and prepared, but no one being overwhelmed at the moment. Let me know if I'm missing something. 

When they do go over capacity it can come quick and too late to stop, so vigilance is necessary. Just not seeing the stressed out ICUs from the first COVID wave, which is good. 

I think large hospitals take over other departments- like the surgery center and turn them into Covid wards. They cancel elective surgeries. I know a hospital administrator and his head nurse and this is what they said. 

im not saying this isn’t important, but I thought vent usage was right up there with importance. Our hospitalization rates are skyrocketing, but icu beds and vent availability are high(meaning their use is decreasing). Like almost normal availability

And based on the ONE person I know that was hospitalized, he is 45 and asthmatic and was hospitalized in precaution. One is not enough to draw a conclusion, but it does offer an explanation to  the seemingly negative correlative data. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Its starting to happen in my state. 7 hospitals are at ICU capacity and 40% of ICU patients are there for COVID as the situation continues to get worse. Capacity also isn't the only concern. Staffing is a problem too. 

Edit: I guess that was from yesterday. Today the 8 largest hospitals in the state are at ICU capacity 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The Capitalist Tools at Forbes think you're being a tad limited in your assumptions: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geristengel/2020/06/17/black-lives-matter-protests-moves-corporate-di-initiatives-into-the-spotlight/#2f60bbc47a0d

btw....if Republicans had the nuts to speak up, what would they say? We prefer not to move in that less-racist direction? 

Also, Dan Snyder swore he would never, ever, rename the Washington Redskins. He didn't care what the protestors thought. But Federal Express did. 

Democrats embracing corporate elitists, I’d admit I never expected to see that. 

That’s rich after watching white BLM protestors fall short of calling black police officers Uncle Toms while singling them out and berating them.