Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

a lot of countries were named last week including India, Spain, and Japan.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-24/coronavirus-update-tokyo-covid-19-olympics-spain-australia/12486910

20 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

And how does one distinguish one from the other? 

One group is made up of voters. The other is the people they elect. 

Once elected, Democrats typically trim their ideology to fit the  lobbyists. They are marginally better at representing the little guy, but tend to take credit they haven't quite earned. 

Forgot to mention football. Love the sport and hope we can pull off a season. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

a lot of countries were named last week including India, Spain, and Japan.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-24/coronavirus-update-tokyo-covid-19-olympics-spain-australia/12486910

Thanks for the link.  But it only mentioned about 5 countries.   I was interested in the claim of 40.

And wouldn’t it be nice if the US saw about 10,000 new cases In a day and it was called a “surge”?

23 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Sorry, Knapp, but the democrat leadership chases trends for power and control by pandering. We listen to msm and turn “China Virus” into another racist comment by Trump, yet here we have a guy who generalizes republicans but then refers to pot as “Mexican” and it’s crickets. Is that because it’s not racist or because “he’s one of us?” Let’s pick one and stick with it or stop pretending to be offended. 

@Guy Chamberlin I couldn’t careless about that lame duck candidate, if anything it would be his successor because he’s most likely won’t even last 4 years. 

I don’t even have a B or C game, Guy. I’m a slow witted individual, but keep up the hypocrisy. 

I asked for "down three notches," not "up three notches."

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

Sorry, Knapp, but the democrat leadership chases trends for power and control by pandering. We listen to msm and turn “China Virus” into another racist comment by Trump, yet here we have a guy who generalizes republicans but then refers to pot as “Mexican” and it’s crickets. Is that because it’s not racist or because “he’s one of us?” Let’s pick one and stick with it or stop pretending to be offended. 

@Guy Chamberlin I couldn’t careless about that lame duck candidate, if anything it would be his successor because he’s most likely won’t even last 4 years. 

I don’t even have a B or C game, Guy. I’m a slow witted individual, but keep up the hypocrisy. 

54 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One group is made up of voters. The other is the people they elect. 

Once elected, Democrats typically trim their ideology to fit the  lobbyists. They are marginally better at representing the little guy, but tend to take credit they haven't quite earned. 

Take it to P&R

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here are some more opinions as to if a season can be achieved this fall.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/25/michigan-state-football-quarantine-coronavirus-contact-tracing

As written extensively in SI on Tuesday, the biggest obstacle for holding a college football season this fall isn’t the actual positive tests. It isn’t travel. It isn’t testing availability or delayed turnaround times (though those are real concerns). And it isn’t even the return in mid-August of thousands of students on campus (but that’s pretty significant, too). It is contact tracing, resulting in the potential shutdown of large swaths of a football team—or in Michigan State’s case, the entire team. “That’s a good example of what can happen,” a group of 5 athletic directors said Friday when told the news.

And while a 14-day quarantine is conservative, doctors say, it does follow along with CDC guidelines. Even with an early negative test, the virus can emerge on Day 13 or Day 14. It’s a safe and not sorry approach.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/07/25/college-football-programs-fighting-another-foe-mental-health/5505241002/

It would also help if schools went ahead and made a decision about the season rather than leaving weeks and weeks of uncertainty and pushing the start of the season back in increments. In other words, if ultimately the football season didn't happen this fall, it would likely be better from a mental health standpoint for players to have some certainty rather than continually having hope pulled away from them.

“I think all of us are looking for some control in this situation and it’s a situation we don’t have any control over,” Auerbach said. “The research would say people would be better off knowing so they can plan for it and adjust and adapt rather than dragging it out and drawing on people’s heartstrings and stress and anxiety. So it’s a situation of acute stress finding out right way and dealing with the stress of probably very high magnitude versus having this chronic stress and not being sure what it means. Most people would be better with it being an acute issue than adjusting and pivoting and a lot of college athletics staffs would pivot around it too if they knew right away.

1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

We listen to msm and turn “China Virus” into another racist comment by Trump, yet here we have a guy who generalizes republicans but then refers to pot as “Mexican” and it’s crickets. Is that because it’s not racist or because “he’s one of us?” Let’s pick one and stick with it or stop pretending to be offended. 

You gotta be s#!tting me.

Mexican pot came from Mexico. It sold for 15 dollars an ounce. Jamaican pot came from Jamaica. It cost a little more. Colombian pot came from Colombia. It sold for 40 dollars an ounce. Panama Red came from Panama, a little cheaper than Colombian. Thai Stick came from Thailand and it was the priciest, but sometimes the dealers lied and just tied Colombian to a stick. Skunk Weed came from the ditches of Cass County Nebraska. 

If it makes you feel any better, I boycotted Afghani Black Primo hash in solidarity with the Afghan War. 

You were correct about not having an A-game. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You gotta be s#!tting me.

Mexican pot came from Mexico. It sold for 15 dollars an ounce. Jamaican pot came from Jamaica. It cost a little more. Colombian pot came from Colombia. It sold for 40 dollars an ounce. Panama Red came from Panama, a little cheaper than Colombian. Thai Stick came from Thailand and it was the priciest, but sometimes the dealers lied and just tied Colombian to a stick. Skunk Weed came from the ditches of Cass County Nebraska. 

If it makes you feel any better, I boycotted Afghani Black Primo hash in solidarity with the Afghan War. 

You were correct about not having an A-game. 

Perfect. So it was appropriate to call it the Wuhan Virus for months until it became a chance to turn it into Trump and republicans are racists. Pick a narrative and stick with it.  

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

Back to the original topic. Michigan St is in quarantine. Now....

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29537758/rutgers-quarantines-football-team-six-more-positive-tests-coronavirus

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights have stopped all in-person team activities and quarantined the entire football program after six additional positive tests for COVID-19 were announced Saturday. The program has had 10 total positive tests since returning to campus on June 15.

Next? 

So what’s the alternative if they cannot play? If they don’t play can they just do a year of S&C/drills within the program? I would 100% argue that it’s safer for them to be in this structured program than back at home. Especially those from minority communities. The thing that I don’t get about the positive tests: 

-Why don’t they ever say how many are hospital bound/Asymptomatic 

cases are reported from these numbers to calculate risk from this group? These are probably some of the healthiest people in the world. The likelihood of anyone dying within a program is exceptionally low (I realize they can transfer the virus to others yes). Probably less than if they go about their daily lives unchecked. Combine this with frequent testing and setting parameters of where and when they can go to places makes it even safer. I would 100% be okay for football to return even without fans if the alternative is no season. 

On 7/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

The mass protests have had a profound effect on the corporate world. There are a lot of ways to exercise power, and some of the people without it found a way to make a difference. Hats off to them.

Not sure you want to delve into who is majoring in violence these days. 

hats off to the rioters and BLM?

• Thanks 2

I don't think the main problem most schools are grappling with is whether an athlete gets seriously ill because the likelihood is low.  They certainly have that in mind as th worst case scenario, but the larger issue is this. 

“For example, a cluster involving a collegiate sports team and their friends in Montana included 20 cases and 80 contacts in one county alone," Bullock said Wednesday. "The cluster was then later connected to additional cases in three other counties, by way of a wedding and other social events that people attended while infectious. The majority of cases were in younger individuals.”

https://www.ktvq.com/governor-montana-athletes-involved-in-coronavirus-cluster-and-spread

The problem with athletes playing and contracting the virus is the potential that they cause outbreaks in their local cities or ones they are visiting and pass the virus on to vulnerable people. That potential probably scares administrators. 

• Plus1 1