Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

4 minutes ago, nic said:

I am a parent of high school kids and 1 2nd grader. I want them to go to school full time and compete in sports. kids whose parents are at risk and older coaches and teachers that may be at risk should be given options. Schools could stream the lectures online for kids whose parents do not want them in school. Not sure how to protect teachers. Plexiglass wall around the desk and monitors? Might work for high school but not the little ones. Can a teacher stream in a lecture from home? You still need an aide in the classroom to make sure the kids stay there. Maybe hire a bunch young new teachers out of school that would love a paying job being an aide.  20 somethings don't care about COVID. Offer in class and online options. Let people choose. Online classes are a disaster for my kids. Our district took a survey and the overwhelming desire of parents was to let the kids go to school. 85% wanted it. The 15% are very vocal however. 

Let me answer those questions for you as far as how we are doing it.

1.  Teachers can opt to teach from home

2.  Lectures/classes will be zoomed for kids that opt to learn from home

3.  Teachers will have masks and can have a retractable shield for their desk and/or podium

And yes, online classes are a s#!t-show for most students.  And yes, most parents want their kids at school and in sports/activities but like you said...the % that don't want that are loud.  

I am not sure you can hire people just because they are "young" but I get what you mean.  

33 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Might does not equate to fact. Given how long we've known about COVID we don't know if any damage will be lifelong to anyone. That said myocarditis is a serious condition that does not always recover 100%. Though most cases of this and pulmonary fibrosis will likely recover, there is a possibility some people deal with these conditions long term. At a minimum this guys heart won't be back to normal for 3 months. That's pretty serious in and of itself. 

My issue here is that apparently it’s useful discussion to make your leading point one of the worst possible outcomes. I guess it’s considered responsible journalism to make any assertion you want, as long as it is theoretically possible. 

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

That's not how ratios work. Unless you can show that the likelihood of contracting covid is different for each gender, then the ratio will be the same 1 in 320,000 for both genders.

Thank you. I didn't say it was good math.....just better than Knapp's.  It felt like there was something wrong with doubling it based on gender. My error was that the raw number of males in that age group is half the group but I should've also cut the numerator in half, which doesn't change the ratio.  Even so my point remains. The chances are still very remote.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

My issue here is that apparently it’s useful discussion to make your leading point one of the worst possible outcomes. I guess it’s considered responsible journalism to make any assertion you want, as long as it is theoretically possible. 

Considering what we know so far its beyond theoretically possible, but sure its alarmist to say this condition that will last a minimum of 3 months could possibly last forever, when it could. I mean I get it but its interesting thats your problem and not that this young person is suffering from a preventable heart condition yet the show must go on apparently. 

Also, the tweeter in question isn't a reporter, they are an er nurse. 

9 minutes ago, nic said:

I am a parent of high school kids and 1 2nd grader. I want them to go to school full time and compete in sports. kids whose parents are at risk and older coaches and teachers that may be at risk should be given options. Schools could stream the lectures online for kids whose parents do not want them in school. Not sure how to protect teachers. Plexiglass wall around the desk and monitors? Might work for high school but not the little ones. Can a teacher stream in a lecture from home? You still need an aide in the classroom to make sure the kids stay there. Maybe hire a bunch young new teachers out of school that would love a paying job being an aide. Offer in class and online options. Let people choose. Online classes are a disaster for my kids. Our district took a survey and the overwhelming desire of parents was to let the kids go to school. 85% wanted it. The 15% are very vocal however. 

Let's look at this point by point. 

10 minutes ago, nic said:

I am a parent of high school kids and 1 2nd grader. I want them to go to school full time and compete in sports. kids whose parents are at risk and older coaches and teachers that may be at risk should be given options. 

That is the crux of the problem at the moment, yes. 

11 minutes ago, nic said:

Not sure how to protect teachers.  

Well, that's a pretty big thing to not be sure how to do, isn't it? 

12 minutes ago, nic said:

Plexiglass wall around the desk and monitors? Might work for high school but not the little ones. 

I've seen a few examples of this, or drop cloth/clear plastic hung on PVC pipes, but not sure how effective this would be. Also, gonna need to find room in the budget for this kind of expenditure. 

14 minutes ago, nic said:

Can a teacher stream in a lecture from home? You still need an aide in the classroom to make sure the kids stay there. Maybe hire a bunch young new teachers out of school that would love a paying job being an aide. 

This would be an absolute, unmitigated disaster; far worse than whatever experience you might have had with distance learning in the spring. You want to put a fresh out of school teacher on a teacher's aid salary and put them in a room by themselves with students they don't know and expect them to keep an orderly classroom? Without a cooperating teacher there to guide them and manage the classroom? Sounds like a great way to get nothing done, and completely jade an entire generation to the career field, in one of the absolute strangest and most crucial times in education (as well as aiding the transmission of the virus)? 

19 minutes ago, nic said:

20 somethings don't care about COVID.

They should. 

19 minutes ago, nic said:

Offer in class and online options. Let people choose. Online classes are a disaster for my kids. Our district took a survey and the overwhelming desire of parents was to let the kids go to school. 85% wanted it. The 15% are very vocal however. 

These options and opinions are valid and are absolutely being considered, but they aren't going to be the ultimate deciding factor on what schools go forward with. You might just want to prepare yourself for the beginning of the school year, though. 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Considering what we know so far its beyond theoretically possible, but sure its alarmist to say this condition that will last a minimum of 3 months could possibly last forever, when it could. I mean I get it but its interesting thats your problem and not that this young person is suffering from a preventable heart condition yet the show must go on apparently. 

Also, the tweeter in question isn't a reporter, they are an er nurse. 

Thanks for proving my point. I don’t care if baseball is played.

I saw the linked report that said he had ‘condition involving his heart’.  It was then suggested by a reporter that it could me myocarditis.  It was then apparently picked up by a nurse on Twitter where she says he could be looking at permanent heart damage, along with a snarky remark about American exceptionalism. 

And now it’s here on Huskerboard, where it’s become about me being unconcerned about the well being of another person. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Thanks for proving my point. I don’t care if baseball is played.

I saw the linked report that said he had ‘condition involving his heart’.  It was then suggested by a reporter that it could me myocarditis.  It was then apparently picked up by a nurse on Twitter where she says he could be looking at permanent heart damage, along with a snarky remark about American exceptionalism. 

And now it’s here on Huskerboard, where it’s become about me being unconcerned about the well being of another person. 

Well you are having a problem with one thing but have nothing to say about the other. Not sure how a nurse commenting on a news story proves your point about journalism but if you feel resolved thats great. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Well you are having a problem with one thing but have nothing to say about the other. Not sure how a nurse commenting on a news story proves your point about journalism but if you feel resolved thats great. 

I should have generalized ‘journalism’ to discourse. She’s not a journalist. 

Moving on, you’ve created a False Dilemna here, where because I have an issue with the way information has been misconstrued and conclusions suggested, apparently that means I don’t care about someone’s health. You can’t really argue with what I’ve said, so you’ve resorted to a logical fallacy where you’re trying to make me choose between 2 options, neithef of which I’ve advanced. 

Tactics like this are at least contributing to this s#!tshow of a situation. 

• Fire 3

Yeah, the idea of hiring a bunch of young/new teachers...well...I know most of us just think that teaching is easy but the hardest part of teaching is not so much the content but the ability to control the class.

That comes with experience (most of the time)

Just like coaching...you should have seen how horrible I was as a coach my first few years...now I am still horrible at it but just not as horrible. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I should have generalized ‘journalism’ to discourse. She’s not a journalist. 

Moving on, you’ve created a False Dilemna here, where because I have an issue with the way information has been misconstrued and conclusions suggested, apparently that means I don’t care about someone’s health. You can’t really argue with what I’ve said, so you’ve resorted to a logical fallacy where you’re trying to make me choose between 2 options, neithef of which I’ve advanced. 

Tactics like this are at least contributing to this s#!tshow of a situation. 

I never said you didn't care, I'm just interested in what you have decided to comment on. Still not sure of your point considering the tweet was factually correct. Given what we know about COVID 19 thus far, if it has given you heart issues, those heart issues might be life long. Key word might. 

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I never said you didn't care, I'm just interested in what you have decided to comment on. Still not sure of your point considering the tweet was factually correct. Given what we know about COVID 19 thus far, if it has given you heart issues, those heart issues might be life long. Key word might. 

Fair enough. Here’s what my issue is, and it’s more general than just this tweet. 

I can say factually correct things, like:  ‘Experts say global deaths from Covid could reach 2 million worldwide’. Chances are that I may have found a couple of grad students that have a statistical model edge case that shows that many deaths in 2 years. Is that the scenario you were thinking when you read the headline?  Nothing factually incorrect, but was it representative of premise?

Here we have a report about a pitcher that we know is recovering from a COVID infection. Officially, it has been said that it is a ‘condition with his heart’. It hasn’t been said that this is as a result of COVID, or preexisting. A reporter took it upon himself to suggest it might be a certain condition that may be as a result of COVID. A twitter user then strongly suggested that it was this condition, which could lead to permanent heart damage, and it is a result of Coronavirus. 

Those are some leaps. Once again, not factually incorrect. But I would say some liberties have been taken in absence of facts. 

• Fire 2
52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Let me answer those questions for you as far as how we are doing it.

1.  Teachers can opt to teach from home

2.  Lectures/classes will be zoomed for kids that opt to learn from home

3.  Teachers will have masks and can have a retractable shield for their desk and/or podium

And yes, online classes are a s#!t-show for most students.  And yes, most parents want their kids at school and in sports/activities but like you said...the % that don't want that are loud.  

I am not sure you can hire people just because they are "young" but I get what you mean.  

Ok that last comment made me laugh. :funnyhahah

• Haha 1