Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

From someone who is still in graduate school... you sound like a bunch of old dudes arguing about technology without an understanding of the technology. 

But maybe that is just message boards in summary. :) 

There are plenty of proctoring programs and resources that make proctoring on the student's schedule very easy (read: someone in the Phillipines watches you take your test). Online classes are very easy to set up and schedule - you do realize 100% online degree programs exist, even at schools like UNL? Professors typically hold a weekly lecture at a time that is convenient for them. It is recorded and posted later. If you feel the need to be present and ask questions live in-person, you move your schedule to accommodate or you can post in the all class discussion board to ask later. 

I've been in online group assignments with a UNL football player and a baseball player during their respective seasons. They did great. 

Online school is very common and very simple, especially at the college level. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Essentially any titles won this year in any sports would have an asterisk next to them. So why not look at this season as a way to try to play as many games as you can, make as much money as you can, entertain as many as you can. If delays or cancellations like this Marlins thing occurs then so be it. Wait a week or 2 weeks then play your next scheduled game and hopefully it happens. As long as you have a safe game environment let the game commence. Why does it have to be all in or all out. Just play as many games as you can. I am sure financially for these clubs and cities that would be better than saying no games.

I know for me. If the Huskers have 10 scheduled games- but outbreaks occur and we only play 7 I would be fine with that. Take what we can get this year.

It's a good thing the BoSox broke the curse or there would be an asterisk on the last World Series won by this pitcher.  (MLB shortened the season slightly)

Babe_Ruth_Red_Sox_1918.jpg?w=791

8 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

From someone who is still in graduate school... you sound like a bunch of old dudes arguing about technology without an understanding of the technology. 

But maybe that is just message boards in summary. :) 

There are plenty of proctoring programs and resources that make proctoring on the student's schedule very easy (read: someone in the Phillipines watches you take your test). Online classes are very easy to set up and schedule - you do realize 100% online degree programs exist, even at schools like UNL? Professors typically hold a weekly lecture at a time that is convenient for them. It is recorded and posted later. If you feel the need to be present and ask questions live in-person, you move your schedule to accommodate or you can post in the all class discussion board to ask later. 

I've been in online group assignments with a UNL football player and a baseball player during their respective seasons. They did great. 

Online school is very common and very simple, especially at the college level. 

I did my masters online, I loved it!  

But cheating online is freaking easy as can be, assuming you are able to work/test from home.  Doesn't matter if someone is "watching" you are not (but that is really the case no matter what, if you want to cheat bad enough you will find the best way to cheat).  But you are correct, online at the college level is great and works very well for most students.  I loved how convenient it was, I enjoyed the professors that would post all their assignments at the start of the semester and just let us work at our own pace for the most part.  I finished my Athletic Director class in 10 days!

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I did my masters online, I loved it!  

But cheating online is freaking easy as can be, assuming you are able to work/test from home.  Doesn't matter if someone is "watching" you are not (but that is really the case no matter what, if you want to cheat bad enough you will find the best way to cheat).  But you are correct, online at the college level is great and works very well for most students.  I loved how convenient it was, I enjoyed the professors that would post all their assignments at the start of the semester and just let us work at our own pace for the most part.  I finished my Athletic Director class in 10 days!

But is it cheating or just being resourceful :D

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

But you are correct, online at the college level is great and works very well for most students.  I loved how convenient it was, I enjoyed the professors that would post all their assignments at the start of the semester and just let us work at our own pace for the most part.  I finished my Athletic Director class in 10 days!

Thanks for telling us about your experience in "taking" a class; now, tell us about your experience in "setting" up a class. 

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

Let's break this down:

1. You say "for that school". Why do you say that?

2. You say "false" on the aspect of one student-athlete being hospitalized for a covid-related problem. Why do you say that?

3. You say "false" on if someone gets a long term illness from covid. Why is 

$$$$

Just a hunch.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

Let's break this down:

1. You say "for that school". Why do you say that?

2. You say "false" on the aspect of one student-athlete being hospitalized for a covid-related problem. Why do you say that?

3. You say "false" on if someone gets a long term illness from covid. Why is that?

Not answering for Mavric but offering my opinion.  

1) Just because one hot spot shows up at a school doesn't mean the entire system would come to a halt.  That school would be likely done playing football for at least a couple weeks and perhaps the season.

2) There are College football players that have to go to the hospital every week of the season for various reasons.  Kids play football knowing that bad things can happen.  Covid is just added to the list now.  If schools choose to play, they are doing so with the understanding that a very small percentage will get sick and perhaps sick enough to require hospital care.

3) See #2 - Schools are going into this with eyes wide open.  One person out of the thousands involved wouldn't constitute shutting the whole thing down.

Again, if they make the choice to play a season, I don't believe they will give up easily.  There may be delays, and it may ultimately get cancelled, but it won't be from one individual schools issues or an individual athlete.     

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

Thanks for telling us about your experience in "taking" a class; now, tell us about your experience in "setting" up a class. 

Sure, pretty easy for the most part.  We used Zoom, as I think most people did.

I sent out the link to my classes and they had a specific time that they needed to be on.  I set it up with a waiting room feature so that no one could get into the class until I let them in, basically it was like they were in the hallway outside my classroom.

I did NOT use a password because I didn't think it was that big of a deal but most people did...we did have a few outsiders jump into classes and say bad things or do bad things.

I would then lecture or show clips to things we were talking about, I would take questions and ask for answers.  I would even get parents involved if they happened to be in the room with their kid.  We had a nice quick discussion with a Dominican father who discussed how important it was in his culture to be "macho" when he was growing up and how it related to toxic masculinity. 

I had a O street bar owner on to discuss the deviant behavior of calling in "sick" to work and the consequences.  

Then I would usually assign work to be completed on our discussion board and they also had to respond to at least 3 of their classmates responses.  

When I gave tests I had them stay on Zoom, not to see if they cheated, it was all open book/note, but in case they had a question.

I usually ended class early, holding the attention of them for a full block just wasn't fair plus I wanted to give them time to work on what I assigned. 

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

1) Just because one hot spot shows up at a school doesn't mean the entire system would come to a halt.  That school would be likely done playing football for at least a couple weeks and perhaps the season.

2) There are College football players that have to go to the hospital every week of the season for various reasons.  Kids play football knowing that bad things can happen.  Covid is just added to the list now.  If schools choose to play, they are doing so with the understanding that a very small percentage will get sick and perhaps sick enough to require hospital care.

3) See #2 - Schools are going into this with eyes wide open.  One person out of the thousands involved wouldn't constitute shutting the whole thing down.

Let's pick this apart.

I see your point but in this day and age, I can easily see if there is a hot spot in one part of the state, let's say Lincoln, I can bet you the rest of the state's schools will shut down. That will then potentially trigger the dominoes. Let's call it the Rudy Gobert moment. (Gee, he will be the trivia question for "what player did the NBA shut down its season in 2020?" just like Wally Pipp). The contact tracing alone could fuel this.

Let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play at Iowa on Saturday, but a breakout occurs on Nebraska's campus on Thursday and school is shut down. You think Iowa is going to want to play Nebraska? Or let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play Iowa on Saturday in Lincoln and Nebraska has an outbreak on Wednesday. You think Iowa is going to come here?

We are not talking about two or three cases of rhabdomyolysis here from workouts. And I was under the impression that during this covid thing that "the highest priority was student-athlete health and safety." Did this change as the closer we get to the season? This plays the game of this covid is no different than that of the common cold. Then why in the heck are we even talking about having no season or if this is no different than that of the common cold, heck, why did MSU and Rutgers suspend workouts? 

And if student-athletes are going to the hospital every week of the season for various reasons, I would love to know what these reasons are. Care to tell me what these reasons are? 

Do you want to be the head coach that has to make the phone call to the parent that their student-athlete is in the hospital with Covid? Frost is a smart dude and I think he is smart enough to know he does not want to be in this situation. As per contract, in my view, this could be the grounds for "termination for cause". No one wants to stick their neck out in either direction but the safe move is to err on the side of extreme caution. 

3. Schools are going into this with eyes wide open.  If you insist; who am I to argue with you. But believe you me, they are making sure the abort button is going to work. 

• Plus1 2