Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 minutes ago, Branno said:

Rob Manfred just threatened to shutdown the baseball season as early as next Monday because of the threat of COVID-19 and the difficulty to control players without a bubble. https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/31/manfred-warns-hell-shut-the-baseball-season-down-if-players-arent-more-careful/

If baseball shuts down, I believe one can safely conclude that football will be shut down. A lot of these commissioners were going to watch and see what baseball did. 

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

If baseball shuts down, I believe one can safely conclude that football will be shut down. A lot of these commissioners were going to watch and see what baseball did. 

I was hopeful, but really only expected success for the NHL and NBA.  Both due to the bubble model and only trying to stage tournaments and not seasons.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I was hopeful, but really only expected success for the NHL and NBA.  Both due to the bubble model and only trying to stage tournaments and not seasons.

I'll take any sports, but baseball is my 1 true love (Huskers football is, I guess, a sister wife). It's going to suck if this season, even a 60 game contracted one, doesn't work out. 

• Plus1 1

Branno/Kansas45, you guys couldn't find an example of anything severe Covid related in a college athlete.  If there was a case out there, the media would be all over it right now.  

Everything you guys state regarding football, or any other college sports, is hypothetical. 

I have no idea if we will have a season.  But I think we should based on the current data, or lack of, that college athletes aren't severely impacted.

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Branno/Kansas45, you guys couldn't find an example of anything severe Covid related in a college athlete.  If there was a case out there, the media would be all over it right now. 

EDIT: Not so fast my friend.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/6/29/21306134/college-athletes-football-season-sports-return-covid-deaths

The pundits cry: “But they’re young!” No way young folks, especially ones in as great shape as athletes, would be vulnerable to COVID-19’s most destructive outcomes! Tell that to Cody Lyster’s parents: Lyster was a 21-year-old college athlete who, in early April, became the youngest person to die from COVID-19. His parents were also infected, and have recovered. Lyster was a baseball player at Colorado Mesa University with no pre-existing health conditions, but COVID-19 killed him in less than two weeks from contraction.

But it is called clinical reasoning based on the best available data given the contagion's distinct affinity for internal organs and its affect on said internal organ physiology and the body's response to such. But then if there is no chance, as you say, because there has not been a severe case based on your clinical criteria, why were the workouts at Rutgers, Kansas State, Ohio St and others, put on pause?

Can you tell me what your phone call would be to the parents of a student-athlete under your guidance would consist of?

Lifelong Lung Damage: The Serious COVID-19 Complication That Can Hit People in Their 20s

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/lifelong-lung-damage-the-serious-covid-19-complication-that-can-hit-people-in-their-20s

Most recently, a 20-year-old COVID-19 survivor in Chicago was the recipient of a new set of lungs, due to a lung transplant that was necessary to treat a condition now being called post-COVID fibrosis.

Since we do not have this data, another hypothetical is this one (and I would like your expert medical opinion on this), what if a student-athlete contracts the virus but passes it on to someone else, who could pass it on to another person, who may end up in your "severe" category who fits in your age criteria? You know it is going to be virtually impossible to "bubble" the team and the entire athletic staff and support personnel. 

But if we use your criteria of those who are over 35 stand a much higher chance of having severe reactions to this contagion, this would logically mean that coaches should NOT be coaching as a very strong majority of the coaches on the Husker staff are over the age of 35. Can we have the players suit and play without a coach? But I guess you could counter that with PPE of the coaches and periodic testing but how do you account for this aspect of your argument? 

Everything you guys state regarding football, or any other college sports, is hypothetical.

Not necessarily; there is the liability issue that is predominant. Because you have failed to account for my earlier questions of why were the workouts at Rutgers, Kansas State, Ohio St and others, put on pause?" Can you please answer this fundamental question? 

I have no idea if we will have a season.  But I think we should based on the current data, or lack of, that college athletes aren't severely impacted.

But you leave out important factors and many variables to contend with and it cannot be based on "there are no severe cases as of yet impacting college aged students." I am surprised that you have not been called upon by the University of Nebraska's Athletic Medicine staff and been allowed to present this valuable, yet important data point, given your strong background in epidemiology, clinical medicine and infectious disease knowledge. You obviously have important medical data and a perfectly sound medical hypothesis based on zero cases of severe illness based on your severe case medical criteria.

Can you explain why this one data point that you have has not been considered and that you have not been called upon to present this? I am sure you can put together a powerpoint lecture of two or three slides and that would convince all and leave no doubt as to your medically-backed opinion. Oh heck, just one slide will be sufficient and the medical experts can look at each other in pure astonishment and go "well, golly gee. We never thought of that. Shazam!!! What are we waiting for? Let's play!!!" And then we can fans who are college aged students in the stands because they are not likely to die and we can have the band in there as they are college aged students and Bill Moos can cut a deal with all the other University of Nebraska system colleges and they can busload all those other college students to fill the stadium because your data point is quite compelling. If you are under age 22, come on in and cheer on the Huskers. 

But to make sure we have your clinical criteria accurate:

Severe=hospitalization and ventilator status;

Moderate = not yet classified by you;

Mild = not yet classified by you. 

You have also failed to answer this question: what will you do if one student-athlete develops a, let's say moderate, since you say "severe" is hospitalization and needing oxygen supplementation via a ventilator, and this student-athlete develops myocarditis?

And what will be your response if in the event of a covid-related death of a student-athlete?

Edited by kansas45
added data
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Branno/Kansas45, you guys couldn't find an example of anything severe Covid related in a college athlete.  If there was a case out there, the media would be all ovaer it right now.  

I also couldn't find an example of someone on the moon suffering from a severe COVID related issue, what is your point? 

You keep saying we need to base our information on "current data" but that just doesn't exist for college athletes. I'm not sure if you noticed this or not, but they kind of canceled all college sports since March.

It's hypothetical that humans can't survive in the vacuum of space, should we start pushing people out of airlocks to test that? No. That would be insane. I just don't understand your inability to take information from one thing (increased infections/death in the overall population, COVID outbreaks in MLB) and apply it to another (college sports). 

Look man, I get that you want the football season to happen. I also would like nothing more. But it would be irresponsible for us to ignore the realities of the world and put athletes health in danger just so we can have something to watch on TV for 12 10 Saturdays in the fall.

It is a fact that when players are not put into a bubble that outbreaks are inevitable. We're seeing it in college football already and we're seeing it in MLB. We have nowhere near enough information regarding how severe these cases are, but that doesn't mean everything is alright. 

It is a fact that lingering heart, lung, and mental conditions occur in large numbers of "recovered" COVID patients of all ages.

What is not a fact? That any data or study shows it is safe to play football at any level. That is your opinion. There is a big difference between your opinion and a fact. Try bringing something new to this, this is getting boring.

17 hours ago, jaws said:

Are you on team ACC now?

Let's flip the script. What happens if the mighty ACC+SEC goes alone and plays a season where multiple players get sick and schools have massive outbreaks? How is that going to look?

It would look bad but it would still be spun into a recruiting schpeel,

In the SEC we love football more than plague. 

It's not a great leap to think that the SEC will be the last conference to cancel football.

2 hours ago, kansas45 said:

You have also failed to answer this question: what will you do if one student-athlete develops a, let's say moderate, since you say "severe" is hospitalization and needing oxygen supplementation via a ventilator, and this student-athlete develops myocarditis?

And what will be your response if in the event of a covid-related death of a student-athlete?

Likewise you are ignoring the possibility (nearly guaranteed) that college athletes would catch Covid, even if (because of) their season was cancelled.  No season = more time for Tinder and house parties. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Likewise you are ignoring the possibility (nearly guaranteed) that college athletes would catch Covid, even if (because of) their season was cancelled.  No season = more time for Tinder and house parties. 

This may be correct, but if they put themselves in harm’s way, that’s on them.  If the university does, there’s all kinds of bad consequences.  The end results for the students health  may be the same, but there’s the whole culpability thing.  

As much as we all want a season to happen, and some semblance of one still may, let’s not forget there’s in all likelihood going to be a vaccine potentially available in a few months.   The fall CFB season might have to wait.  

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Branno said:
11 hours ago, kansas45 said:

Thoughts and prayers, with a moment of silence at the next game. Because I doubt those like Hilltop would be willing to give up football even if a player died from COVID. 

Precisely. They will then argue that the statistics were so low that this has to be an outlier and say it was "one of those 1 in a million chances", and hope like hell that the wrongful death suit brought by the parents will not impact the athletic department. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

Precisely. They will then argue that the statistics were so low that this has to be an outlier and say it was "one of those 1 in a million chances", and hope like hell that the wrongful death suit brought by the parents will not impact the athletic department. 

Again though, I think it's really fair to go back to some of the ideas @teachercd posed several days ago - are these college kids going to sit in isolation all day/evening? Or are they going to go out and do what young people do?

My honest guess is the latter. Now this isn't necessarily some kind of trump card where we then say "well it doesn't matter so let's just have the season." 

But I do think it puts some of these comments in context where people are practically - not literally - but practically saying "You're all monsters for suggesting we'd continue on with the season because one of these kids could die!"

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

Again though, I think it's really fair to go back to some of the ideas @teachercd posed several days ago - are these college kids going to sit in isolation all day/evening? Or are they going to go out and do what young people do?

My honest guess is the latter. Now this isn't necessarily some kind of trump card where we then say "well it doesn't matter so let's just have the season." 

But I do think it puts some of these comments in context where people are practically - not literally - but practically saying "You're all monsters for suggesting we'd continue on with the season because one of these kids could die!"

Not one of the kids that I have seen/spoke with, that just graduated and are heading off to college have even remotely hinted that they are going to socially distance or wear masks.  If anything it has been the opposite.  They talk about meeting new people and hanging out with new friends. 

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Undone said:

Thats not what he is saying at all though. If a kid goes out and gets COVID on his own no one is liable but that kid. Fair or not some responsibility will be put on the university, NCAA and college athletics for anything bad that happens as it pertains to COVID 19 if they play the season.