Jump to content

Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?


Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So if the season is canceled, this begs the question:  What becomes of scholarship limits, eligibility etc.  Can seniors come back for the final missed year?  If so, will scholarship limits be raised to accommodate.  Will recruitment rules be changed a many HS are canceling seasons also?  Any chance of a spring season?  And will a Runza store finally open up in Tulsa?:confucius

You'd have to think they would make some special exceptions when it comes to all of this. Alot of paperwork upcoming 

Share this post


Link to post

  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Question: B1G, are you going to play football this fall?   B1G:

The original goal was to “flatten the curve” or so we were told. Somewhere we shifted to cancel everything until it is gone or a vaccine is found. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

You'd have to think they would make some special exceptions when it comes to all of this. Alot of paperwork upcoming 

I agree - there is going to be a lot of shaking going on. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So if the season is canceled, this begs the question:  What becomes of scholarship limits, eligibility etc.  Can seniors come back for the final missed year?  If so, will scholarship limits be raised to accommodate.  Will recruitment rules be changed a many HS are canceling seasons also?  Any chance of a spring season?  And will a Runza store finally open up in Tulsa?:confucius

Nobody knows. It's insane that all these "power people" making millions of dollars, had zero plan, and still have no idea what they're doing. They literally buried their heads in the sand, and hoped for a miracle.

 

What the hell was Kevin Warren thinking that led him to release the revised schedules on Wednesday, and come out and support it saying he would feel safe, and yet 4 days later, it's all going up in smoke? You can't tell me the B1G wasn't talking to the presidents...

 

What have these guys been doing since March?

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Saunders said:

 

What have these guys been doing since March?

This is the million dollar question and it can be asked again and again in dozens of different arenas of American life 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Nobody knows. It's insane that all these "power people" making millions of dollars, had zero plan, and still have no idea what they're doing. They literally buried their heads in the sand, and hoped for a miracle.

 

What the hell was Kevin Warren thinking that led him to release the revised schedules on Wednesday, and come out and support it saying he would feel safe, and yet 4 days later, it's all going up in smoke? You can't tell me the B1G wasn't talking to the presidents...

 

What have these guys been doing since March?

 

 

when there are no leaders in any positions of power.... 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

If the big ten/Pac-12 cancels & everyone else plays it’s gonna be a disaster. What changed at all these few weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Decked said:

If the big ten cancels & everyone else plays it’s gonna be a disaster. 

Good thing that's not whats going to happen. At this point it seems like the SEC is the only one still trying which is a beyond futile endeavor given the current situation in the SE. Don't worry.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Decked said:

If the big ten/Pac-12 cancels & everyone else plays it’s gonna be a disaster. What changed at all these few weeks?

The university presidents got involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, RedDenver said:

The university presidents got involved.

Bastards! Schools needs to all go online if it is that unsafe then. If football is a pipe dream with testing & restrictions then the dorms/classes/partys are gonna be ugly.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Nobody knows. It's insane that all these "power people" making millions of dollars, had zero plan, and still have no idea what they're doing. They literally buried their heads in the sand, and hoped for a miracle.

 

What the hell was Kevin Warren thinking that led him to release the revised schedules on Wednesday, and come out and support it saying he would feel safe, and yet 4 days later, it's all going up in smoke? You can't tell me the B1G wasn't talking to the presidents...

 

What have these guys been doing since March?

I think they probably kept hoping things would work out well.  European soccer leagues managed to finish their season with only minor issues.  MLB has had a lot of problems so far.  So I think they took a wait and see attitude.

 

I think the preliminary findings on covid induced myocarditis in younger people may have spurred them to the final decision.  In the end, the mycarditis effect may be minimal, but risk aversion may have taken over. 

 

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/08/09/ncaa-cardiac-inflamation-coronavirus-myocarditis-concerns

 

Had the US managed to reduce the number of positive cases walking around, then the combination of:

 

small number of positives * small rate of serious effects from covid = really small number

 

may have been an acceptable risk.  But with the US still having fairly high positive rates and not knowing the myocarditis effect, it probably raised the risk for them too much.

 

And, as many have already pointed out on this thread - there is also the potential for the more cynical "stop the players from unionizing/forcing a work stoppage/getting a bigger piece of the pie/etc."  In which case, covid is a convenient way to cancel the season while they get a handle on the future of college athletics.

 

Things will probably be very different in college sports by fall 2021, even if some kind of covid vaccine is available.  At this point things will never return to "normal" - the normal of the 1980s - 2019 (ever since the Supreme Court ruling that opened up the television money floodgates).

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

The SEC is looking to form a sort of super-conference for the season, along with securing a one-year TV deal. Let's take them up on their offer. Can you imagine how much that deal could potentially be worth?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The university presidents got involved.


There’s a writer in Florida who tweeted out a quote from an anonymous P5 AD how the story isn’t about Covid because that’s enough to cancel the season, rather the presidents concerned about players organizing a union, and shifting college amateurism.

 

Do you smellllllll what the Rock is cookin’?

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

 

It's absolutely hilarious that they made all of the revised schedules for the 10 game season and then cancel a week later.

 

:throw

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Undone said:

 

It's absolutely hilarious that they made all of the revised schedules for the 10 game season and then cancel a week later.

 

:throw

Silver lining: we talked football for a week.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...