Jump to content

Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?


Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

 

Yeah, it'd be real nice if we could stop pretending people who think maybe not having organized sports this fall would be a good idea are doing so because they're weak or scared or whatever. This same kind of crap got said about people who social distanced and wore masks early on.

 

We are where we are because not enough people followed the guidelines.

 

(not directed at you nic, that last paragraph from Harbaugh just kind of ticked me off.)

So this would have all just done away had we all worn masks?  Do you seriously think this?

 

This isnt going away whether people wear masks or not.  We are either waiting on a vaccine or we accept the risk and move forward.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post

  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Question: B1G, are you going to play football this fall?   B1G:

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

So this would have all just done away had we all worn masks?  Do you seriously think this?

 

This isnt going away whether people wear masks or not.  We are either waiting on a vaccine or we accept the risk and move forward.

Its reduced spread considerably in many other countries. Did he say it would be gone with masks? No. But the fact is they have been proven as an effective tool in the fight to reduce spread.

 

 

The 'theres nothing we could or can do so we should just give up' crowd is interesting to me. Alot of death to come if we adopt that attitude. I hope its worth it.

  • Plus1 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This thread reminds me of a coaching search. Where's the sockpuppet? Where's Bo's Saltwater Aquarium Guy? 

 

 

In light of covid, instead of tracking aircraft IDs should we be tracking zoom meeting links?

 

The way the Big Ten has handled this, they will probably do their vote via a zoom meeting and forget to lock it down.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
7 minutes ago, nic said:

No worries. Just pointing out there is a willingness to play from coaches and players.

It also sounds like the program is doing everything they can to adhere to guidelines, much like wearing masks when required. I think he means to say they we have done what was asked of us and are succeeding. That’s a little different than being obstinate. 

I appreciate the civility on this board BTW. The Michigan board has devolved into chaos and everyone blaming everyone. Completely out of control over there right now. 
 

I also heard no vote was taken after all, but that might be wishful thinking. We need a statement from the Big Ten soon.

 

No problem buddy. Glad you like it here.

 

I think Frost and the program and I'm sure the majority of the players are doing everything exactly as they should. I've got no problem with him advocating for the program and his players, either. It's what he should be doing. I just think people are having to grapple with whether a fall football season makes us safer and moves the ball forward as a society right now, and whether the pros of having a season or the cons of not are more worth it. And that's a damn tough conversation.

 

Sounds like they may be meeting/voting again tonight so we'll see soon enough.

Link to post
9 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

So this would have all just done away had we all worn masks?  Do you seriously think this?

 

This isnt going away whether people wear masks or not.  We are either waiting on a vaccine or we accept the risk and move forward.

 

There's lots of evidence following the current safety guidelines reduces transmission and flattens the curve.

 

The places that are doing the best are the ones that have done so. The ones that aren't are the ones who disregarded the science and did whatever they wanted. Sadly the state's leadership hasn't been stellar in that regard.

 

You're right though. There's risk either way. Of course we're waiting on a vaccine. But in the meantime this thing will come for us whether we treat it seriously and act accordingly or not. One leads to a lot better outcomes.

  • Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its reduced spread considerably in many other countries. Did he say it would be gone with masks? No. But the fact is they have been proven as an effective tool in the fight to reduce spread.

 

 

The 'theres nothing we could or can do so we should just give up crowd is interesting to me. Alot of death to come if we adopt that attitude. I hope its worth it.

right now there is a tolerance for 0 cases so actually whoever that was did say it would be gone without masks.

 

i clearly didnt say we should give up because i mentioned the vaccine.  1,000s of people died every day in this country before covid.  yes more people will die from covid there is nothing you can do about that but there is no reason those at high risk cant stay at home to reduce their exposure.  This may go on for years.  Are you willing to shut down kids education for that long?  Sorry but saving a few thousand elderly isn't worth that.  It just isnt.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
12 minutes ago, nic said:

The Michigan board has devolved into chaos and everyone blaming everyone. Completely out of control over there right now. 

 

I also heard no vote was taken after all, but that might be wishful thinking. We need a statement from the Big Ten soon.

I'm sure having an apparent disagreement between Harbaugh and Michigan's President/Chancellor adds fuel to the fire, something which isn't (apparently) going on at Nebraska.

Link to post
40 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Sen. Ben Sasse sent a letter to the Big pleading not  cancel the season... that should work

Election year. Plus it’s too late for that now. Where was this letter a week ago?  Earlier this summer?  Probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway.   

Link to post

 

6 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

In light of covid, instead of tracking aircraft IDs should we be tracking zoom meeting links?

 

The way the Big Ten has handled this, they will probably do their vote via a zoom meeting and forget to lock it down.

Hacking into it would be great!  Change Iowa's AD to a potato

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Just now, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

right now there is a tolerance for 0 cases so actually whoever that was did say it would be gone without masks.

 

i clearly didnt say we should give up because i mentioned the vaccine.  1,000s of people died every day in this country before covid.  yes more people will die from covid there is nothing you can do about that but there is no reason those at high risk cant stay at home to reduce their exposure.  This may go on for years.  Are you willing to shut down kids education for that long?  Sorry but saving a few thousand elderly isn't worth that.  It just isnt.

Show me the post because no one has said this. And no one is making the argument in your second paragraph either, but way to tackle that strawman. In 6 months COVID has killed just as many as lung cancer kills every year. Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer in the US. You can't just catch lung cancer though. No one wants to shut down for years. What we do want is to take this seriously and actually take action to suppress this like many other countries have done. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Show me the post because no one has said this. And no one is making the argument in your second paragraph either, but way to tackle that strawman. In 6 months COVID has killed just as many as lung cancer kills every year. Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer in the US. You can't just catch lung cancer though. No one wants to shut down for years. What we do want is to take this seriously and actually take action to suppress this like many other countries have done. 

Way to conveniently ignore your own strawman in your last post.

 

You are deliberately not understanding what I'm saying.  we have been 'taking action' for 5 months and this thing still exists.  You can't mask this thing away.  You can do a shutdown but its still going to be out there when you open up again.  There is either a vaccine OR there is being as safe as possible but accepting some risk and we go back to real life.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
2 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Way to conveniently ignore your own strawman in your last post.

 

You are deliberately not understanding what I'm saying.  we have been 'taking action' for 5 months and this thing still exists.  You can't mask this thing away.  You can do a shutdown but its still going to be out there when you open up again.  There is either a vaccine OR there is being as safe as possible but accepting some risk and we go back to real life.

Your definition of taking action and mine greatly differ. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Election year. Plus it’s too late for that now. Where was this letter a week ago?  Earlier this summer?  Probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway.   

Let the man sell his Runzas!!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...