Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Sure. But it shouldn't take a bloodthirsty tyrant to get Americans to unkeister their heads and do some stuff that isn't even all that tough.

it shouldn't, but there are a lot of people who are.  Just like in the 40's there were plenty of people (the wealthy) who didn't ration or deal with some of the stuff the working class dealt with.  I was just in the historical district in Charleston, SC and you wouldn't think there was a pandemic at all.  All the women were out in the heels and sundresses and the dudes were wearing their favorite pastel colored polo shirts and khaki shorts.  I have a feeling they might have been related to those wealthy people in the 40's.  I'm willing to bet the people in that same area who can't afford to miss work or who don't have a trust fund are doing what they need to do to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Did Frost just save the B1G FB season?  We’re perhaps going to find out tonight.  When he speaks, people tend to listen and for good reason.   There was no winning or pleading. Just facts as well firm and passionate opinions.  Made a compelling case IMO.  The scientist in me still worries about the risk, but every other part of me wants football.   I sure hope I was wrong about my season prediction.  

He did get us the pretty trophy in 97 so all things are possible through Frost

7 hours ago, C-4 said:

Ouch.

Since I use quick type on a mobile phone, I could care less about hitting the apostrophe button, but enjoy life’s little pleasures of pointing out grammar mistakes on messages boards and social media.  Everyone has to have something that makes them feel proud. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Sure. But it shouldn't take a bloodthirsty tyrant to get Americans to unkeister their heads and do some stuff that isn't even all that tough.

Instead we had a power hungry tyrant causing people to keister their heads. It's like bizarro universe.

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Since I use quick type on a mobile phone, I could care less about hitting the apostrophe button, but enjoy life’s little pleasures of pointing out grammar mistakes on messages boards and social media.  Everyone has to have something that makes them feel proud. 

poke...

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

So the metric system makes for different science?  Interesting. 

Sweden also has a much higher death rate per million than its nearest neighbors.

Sweden: 571

Norway: 47

Finland: 60

Denmark: 107

The strategy of the country you held up as an act of brilliance on dealing with the pandemic managed to lower things, just like its nearest neighbors did. 

Except they did it at 5 times the death rate.  I guess you can claim success in that they seem to have moved past it, if you consider the higher death rate no big deal.

Denmark is having what looks like a spike right now in positive cases - which could be due to the fact it is connected to a much more populated part of Europe (with Germany and France nearby), while the other three are more isolated.  Even so, Denmark had a death rate 5x less than Sweden.  They haven't seen an uptick in deaths yet, but that may be 2 or 3 weeks out.

And you are welcome for your education.

I do agree with you that we could not stay locked down forever.  I feel the critical time was in the first 6 weeks.  A much stronger lockdown with a much higher testing plan during the critical March/April time frame and mandatory masks as we moved out into reopening would have helped us.  Some places had stay at home, others did not.  In those cases stay at home != lockdown.  We had nothing close to the types of lockdowns in Europe.  Some of that is due to American thought process (backed in some respects by the Constitution).  However, tighter restrictions were put in place at times during the 1918-1920 pandemic within the US.  Politically it would have been harder to do today, but had we had effective leadership at the Federal level, these restrictions could have been put in place more effectively by the Governors. However, we instead dealt with deflection, minimization of the extent of the problem, and straight out refutation of the science supporting what needed to be done.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/rapid-response-was-crucial-containing-1918-flu-pandemic

what was done by the federal government in 1918-1919 that we didn’t do this time? 

from the article posted by the NIH.  

“If St. Louis had waited another week or two, they might have fared the same as Philadelphia, says the lead author on the first study, Richard Hatchett, M.D., an associate director for emergency preparedness at NIAID. Despite the fact that these cities had dramatically different outcomes early on, all the cities in the survey ultimately experienced significant epidemics because, in the absence of an effective vaccine, the virus continued to spread or recurred as cities relaxed their restrictions.”

cities that had things under control, relaxed restrictions, and spread then continued.  Unless you want to be locked down until an effective vaccine is commercially available, this is what happens with a highly contagious virus.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Did Frost just save the B1G FB season?  We’re perhaps going to find out tonight.  When he speaks, people tend to listen and for good reason.   There was no winning or pleading. Just facts as well firm and passionate opinions.  Made a compelling case IMO.  The scientist in me still worries about the risk, but every other part of me wants football.   I sure hope I was wrong about my season prediction.  

I thought he handled himself extremely well during the presser.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Good point. Frost said yesterday they were working with UNMC. They should share with us what UNMC is telling them. If, with the guidance of UNMC, Nebraska thinks they can play a football season, tell us why. Tell other institutions why, and let's get this show on the road.

100% agree with this.  Not sure why the secrecy.  I think the Potential myocarditis issue is what’s changed many of the univ presidents thinking.  It would be great to see if UNMC has research on this to share that makes them comfortable with athletes still playing. 

• Plus1 1