Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Obviously the various athletic departments and events.

But, at this point, nothing is being played.  So, they aren't getting funding anyway.  They need to be working hard to keep everything organized well and healthy so at some point (when we have a vaccine) there is still a well organized national college athletic program that can pick up where it left off.

The way it appears they are doing this, it's going to be a disaster and the entire college sports industry is going to be devastated simply because their's no leadership and central game plan.

Wait - you want them to do their job? :laughpound

It has always seemed to me that the NCAA is weak when it comes to things like this, since they basically represent a consensus rule of all the major conferences (I suppose the minor conferences as well, but it is heavily weighted toward what the P5 want).

Maybe if the SEC/ACC/Big XII all cancel/postpone we will see some actual NCAA-level plans.  Until then there probably won't be, since there is no consensus at this point.

Just now, nic said:

Well, I am going to cancel my streaming service and save a little money until we do this all again for basketball season. :facepalm:

We won't need to wait; if things continue on their current trajectory, basketball season will get cancelled too. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

We won't need to wait; if things continue on their current trajectory, basketball season will get cancelled too. 

The ONLY way we have a basketball season is if people act responsibly and do the three things the CDC has said will control  the spread.

We've known about these three things for months, and still people won't do it. I have little faith in the common sense of my fellow sports fans.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I bet they’re still getting paid. I bet every school has to pay some sort of membership fee. I don’t know if it’s the same for every school or if a sliding fee based on enrollment. I also bet we have to keep paying them for not doing anything. 

i want to sue them too. 

Sure, they are getting paid some.  All schools have to pay something in.  However, that's not where the vast majority of their money comes from.  It comes from things like March Madness, Bowl Games, Football Playoffs...etc.

And...I'm guessing each school pays X amount per whatever sports programs they have.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

The ONLY way we have a basketball season is if people act responsibly and do the three things the CDC has said will control  the spread.

We've known about these three things for months, and still people won't do it. I have little faith in the common sense of my fellow sports fans.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Funny thing about your post?  It's not the "lock down crowd" that caused this.  It's the "I DEMAND A HAIR CUT" crowd...or "IT'S AGAINST MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS" crowd.  

THAT'S why we are where we are.

If everyone would have listened from the beginning to the actual experts, we would be in a much better place right now.

Bingo  :yeah

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Funny thing about your post?  It's not the "lock down crowd" that caused this.  It's the "I DEMAND A HAIR CUT" crowd...or "IT'S AGAINST MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS" crowd.  

If everyone would have listened from the beginning to the actual experts, we would be in a much better place right now.

What is the risk of athletes playing this fall vs if they don't? I really want to know.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry, people getting hair cuts is not the cause of this decision.  Perhaps the mass protests/riots along with those partying on beaches could be a better source of blame. But, the so called experts (including Fauci) have given inconsistent guidelines from the beginning, and I get that this has been a "novel" virus, but once this virus was allowed to escape China and infect most other countries around the globe, there was little that could have prevented this outbreak.  Regardless. the "experts" stated the goal at the beginning was to flatten the curve and not to eliminate it all together.  In many locations the curve has been flattened, and when there is a flare up those have also come back down.  The BIG's risk management approach to this topic appears to be complete avoidance as opposed to a more balanced mitigation approach.  If they are taking these drastic measures for fall sports, they also better do only remote learning and not have any students in dorms, cafeterias or other common areas. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Sorry, people getting hair cuts is not the cause of this decision.  Perhaps the mass protests/riots along with those partying on beaches could be a better source of blame. But, the so called experts (including Fauci) have given inconsistent guidelines from the beginning, and I get that this has been a "novel" virus, but once this virus was allowed to escape China and infect most other countries around the globe, there was little that could have prevented this outbreak.  Regardless. the "experts" stated the goal at the beginning was to flatten the curve and not to prevent anyone from getting it.  In many locations the curve has been flattened, and when there is a flare up those have also come back down.  The BIG's risk management approach to this topic appears to be complete avoidance as opposed to a more balanced mitigation approach.  If they are taking these drastic measures for fall sports, they also better do only remote learning and not have any students in dorms, cafeterias or other common areas. 

I don't think I've seen a poster here say otherwise yet.

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't think I've seen a poster here say otherwise yet.

I'll say otherwise. Having students on campus is hugely different than having a huge body of students travel from your town to another town for football. They're worried about players that don't test positive but who are infections causing outbreaks in other towns. They infect someone from another team - boom! Outbreak. 

This is all risk management, and is entirely caused by people who won't wear masks, won't wash their hands, and won't practice safe social distancing. 

We've known for months that these three things will drastically ramp down infection rates. Instead, we've got MUH RUGHTSSSUH people b!^@hing about the CDC and WHO and getting their medical info from grandma's Facebook posts and here we are.

Other countries have sports. We don't. 

Everyone b!^@hing about our experts can think real long and hard about why that is. 

And wear your stupid mask or we're not going to have basketball, either. Dorks.

• Plus1 2