Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That might be true. However, pro baseball is a totally different animal than football. These kids typically will be playing years in the minor leagues before having a chance at the Bigs. 

Football players go right to the top league. They also have a much higher chance of injury ending their career. 

They get drafted all the same.  Where baseball IS different this year, is that the draft was only 5 rounds so it enticed college players to stick around for senior year or second senior year.  Football draft I’m sure will still be 7 rounds so same amount of people will get drafted. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting. 

I think myocarditis could have been used as a portion of their reasoning, but the B1G did such a poor job presenting their decision - it was like "were canceling because look at the myocarditis". 

Honestly with rapid covid tests being approved today, and our understanding of Covid growing every week - there really was no reason for the B1G to cancel when they did. If its September 16 and the season is 10 days away and you still have the same concerns about testing, myocarditis, outbreaks - then cancel. 

• Plus1 5

56 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I would have done: play two games-take two weeks off.  That way it would be very unlikely that a locker room outbreak causes the cancellation of more than one game.

As is the ACC gave us two byes in September and then we play 8 games without one. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/nnx/schedule/ (WMU is now an official bye)

Why not take every other week off? 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Cancelling may turn out to be the correct move, but that doesn't necessarily mean the B1Gs decision wasn't premature and perhaps somewhat misguided. 

The lack of apparent communication and the disregard(again apparent) for the POV from at least some of the universities is troubling in the least. 

If the decision making was transparent, I can agree to having a decision that isn’t mainstream. But it appears to me, that because the powers knew we had a dissenting opinion, we were left out of the details. Almost a set up job. If we haven’t made our way into the BIG culture, I doubt we’re ever going to do it now. 

But I do think this is bugger of an illness, especially for more mature people( our fan base). I’m not concerned about the athletes as much as I am those over 50. I don’t think masks work much or most other measures. It’s just a super spreader that our bodies have never seen.  I do think that if I’m going to get it, I’d rather have it late than early.  I also think that most experts can’t understand it either because by trade they have box vision. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

The saliva test from Yale and the NBA got approved today. This should honestly make football season completely feasible. Every University could set up their own internal testing for next to nothing and the turnaround is 3 hours which they hope can decrease. They can also pool test (test an entire team) and quickly clear everyone after travel or before a game for example. This is why I think the B1G rushed to a decision. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The saliva test from Yale and the NBA got approved today. This should honestly make football season completely feasible. Every University could set up their own internal testing for next to nothing and the turnaround is 3 hours which they hope can decrease. They can also pool test (test an entire team) and quickly clear everyone after travel or before a game for example. This is why I think the B1G rushed to a decision. 

This is really great for testing mass amounts of people, and it still is really new, but we really need to see what is going to happen on college campuses before we start thinking we could have played games. I bet there will be many more medical advances before the end of this year. 

There are colleges that have already had students on campus for more than a week. Let's see how some of these schools handle the first month and see where we are.

My guess is, even with mass rapid testing, we will see outbreaks on teams in the fall. The SEC will change their tune if Alabama or Georgia have starters sit out because of a positive test. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, jaws said:

This is really great for testing mass amounts of people, and it still is really new, but we really need to see what is going to happen on college campuses before we start thinking we could have played games. I bet there will be many more medical advances before the end of this year. 

There are colleges that have already had students on campus for more than a week. Let's see how some of these schools handle the first month and see where we are.

My guess is, even with mass rapid testing, we will see outbreaks on teams in the fall. The SEC will change their tune if Alabama or Georgia have starters sit out because of a positive test. 

I think this is a fair argument as well. If they being kids back have big outbreaks and have to cancel it then I get cancelling. They just rushed to this in my opinion. Delay it until late September and reevaluate. The outright cancellation this early just seems like too big of a jump.