Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Who is filing the lawsuit(s)? Under what law(s) are they filing? 

Take a look around the country. You can basically file a lawsuit for anything and win. I personally hate all the petty lawsuits. Just spit balling for things I could see someone wanting a lawsuit. Especially if 3 of the 5 conferences carry on and the CFP committee crowns a champ as they said they intend to do.

Loss of a season cost them an opportunity to increase their draft stock.  

Loss of a season hurt their profits from their name and likeness due to no exposure like all the other conferences.

TV networks want compensation for loss of profits and tv ratings (especially if the season plays out successfully with the other conferences)

What is one of these kids is an NFL prospect- but has to go home to his rough neighborhood- something happens to him hurt or dead. Would his parents sue the big 10 for taking away his safe haven? 

I am sure there are plenty of things that could come up that you couldnt even try to imagine. 

I would imagine PAC12 and BIG10 recruits will get a free pass to transfer if they want since they maybe didnt get to visit the school. Where the other 3 conferences would get to host recruits and make an informed decision.

Just now, FumbleRooski said:

To be honest,  we have a urgent need for this country right now,  it is not football season.

Feel free to head over to the political forum then. Cause we discuss football here.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Take a look around the country. You can basically file a lawsuit for anything and win.

I disagree with this. You can file, but not win. Sometimes there are settlements so I guess this could be considered winning. 

And what would the aggrieved win? Athletics are a privilege, not a right. Don’t like the conference-leave. Unless it’s some sort of stop action(don’t know what it’s called.) and it allows those that want to play, play, without further repercussions. But this needs to be done ASAP. I don’t think you’re going to win money. 

and I hate people who threaten and file lawsuits when they could have just walked away. 

Listening to Dan Patrick this morning and his program indicated that the Power 5 schools have limited autonomy. The NCAA still has regulations for a return to play. The NCAA called off all of the sports it has direct control of saying that its not safe to play. The conferences can make their own independent announcements, but regardless, the schools must comply with the NCAA regulations for a return to play. BIG 10 and Pac 12 did immediate announcements while SEC, ACC and Big 10 kicked the can down the road, but if these same conditions exist in a few weeks, it doesn't sound like those schools will be able to start up with practices, let alone games.

Am I way off in thinking this?

Even without filing lawsuits, the lawyers will be involved and get more than their fair share of limited bucks.  

Bankruptcy filings are likely in some cases.  There are big dollar contracts all over underlying all this stuff. TV deals, bowl deals, game contracts, vendor deals, sponsors, donor commits, salaries, consultants, advertisers, etc etc etc.   There are billions and billions being killed all around.  These cancellations domino all over the place.  Lost businesses are going to appear from out of the woodwork.  Printers, ticket sellers, marketing, insurers, travel providers, hotels, food and beverage suppliers.   I am sure I am missing many others.  The decision to kill major college sports is HUGE and I believe most people are just completely unaware how far reaching this entire fiasco will be.  How much will Nike, Addidas, et al suffer?

I hope Big Ten can find a way out of this without taking DONU with it.  

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Over under on how much longer Kevin Warren holds the Big Ten Commissioner job?  My guess is >12 months.  Hell of a situation that guy walked into.  

He did walk into a difficult situation, but I feel it should have been well within his capabilities to successfully handle... if he hadn't seemingly let motivations outside the best interests of Big Ten athletics influence his leadership.

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

Listening to Dan Patrick this morning and his program indicated that the Power 5 schools have limited autonomy. The NCAA still has regulations for a return to play. The NCAA called off all of the sports it has direct control of saying that its not safe to play. The conferences can make their own independent announcements, but regardless, the schools must comply with the NCAA regulations for a return to play. BIG 10 and Pac 12 did immediate announcements while SEC, ACC and Big 10 kicked the can down the road, but if these same conditions exist in a few weeks, it doesn't sound like those schools will be able to start up with practices, let alone games.

Am I way off in thinking this?

I’m not sure how much say the NCAA has outside of regulatory compliance.

And the SEC released its schedule this week, so by my account,  their fall sports should be canceled by Saturday at the latest.  I’m sorry, postponed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1