Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Online?

There are many times teams have away games 2 out of 3 weeks, leaving on a Thursday or Friday to get there.

This actually provides them a more stationary home for 3 weeks. I mean come on, let's not act like online learning is not completely possible for this.

@teachercd You wanna tell him how well online classes work? 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Well it will be the kind of situation that WV is in now playing in the Big 12 - far east school playing midwest teams.  Nebraska would be the midwest team playing in the far east.  Doesn't work well for our fans.  I'm sure we'd be more competitive as it seems that there typically in only one real good ACC team at a time in that league. FSU is down, Miami is down and VT is good but not great.  Just Clemson.   But from a finance situation, travel situation and competition/rival situation it doesn't make sense.  It would make more sense for NU to go back to the Big 12 but even that has its major issues - money and academics/research

I'm all for ACC membership as long as they can guarantee UNC, Duke and Wake get on the schedule.  Those are 3 games within an hr drive of me.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

The problem is that societally in the U.S. we're not really in agreement on which of these two routes is best:

1. Protect the vulnerable to the best reasonable degree that we can but other than that let the virus run its course.

- or -

2. Attempt to physically distance to the highest reasonable degree and hold out until a vaccine saves the day and then gives everyone a certain threshold of feeling safe.

This is why saying we'll play in spring is a complete joke to me; the longer we keep attempting to do these isolated shut downs (such as removing college students from campus) and then starting back up, people who hadn't yet been exposed to C19 contract it. We're stringing the situation along but we're in this limbo where we're not committed to either Option 1 or Option 2 above.

Delaying the fall season start or saying we'll play in spring is a total joke.

I agree with you that the original goals of the lockdowns has shifted.  I also agree that thinking things will be completely better in the spring is not realistic.  Even if most of the population took vaccines, it will still not completely stop the spread of this virus, just as many can still get the flu even with a flu vaccine.  Also, the vaccines are likely to require multiple boosters, and if they don't begin until early 2021, it would be next summer before the effect of the vaccines may make a difference for the population.  

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm all for ACC membership as long as they can guarantee UNC, Duke and Wake get on the schedule.  Those are 3 games within an hr drive of me.

I can understand that.  When we were in the Big 12//Big 8 - I had Stillwater and Norman nearby. 

2 hours ago, Bledred said:

I would take the ACC line-up over the B1G any day of the week. 

Rooting to switch conferences in order to get an easier football schedule is pretty candyass. 

I think we'd find ourselves fighting for the middle-tier in the ACC, too. 

Last year we lost to the #9 team in the Pac 12. 

Nebraska has to get a lot better regardless. Let's try winning the Big 10 and maintaining our pride. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Rooting to switch conferences in order to get an easier football schedule is pretty candyass. 

I think we'd find ourselves fighting for the middle-tier in the ACC, too. 

Last year we lost to the #9 team in the Pac 12. 

Nebraska has to get a lot better regardless. Let's try winning the Big 10 and maintaining our pride. 

Agree.  Playing the best makes you better if you want to be the best.  Otherwise we can aspire to be Duke or Purdue.

I'm sure some of you have seen this.  

https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization

To me this is the ticket to allowing all sports to move forward.  If players can take a test, and get results, hours before a game, all risk is basically removed.  One individual on ESPN radio said they are under $10 a test.  Teams could afford to test daily so any positives would be caught immediately.  

The Big 10 should have waited.  Maybe if enough of these tests can be made available by mid September, it will give them reason to change their decision.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The Big 10 should have waited.  Maybe if enough of these tests can be made available by mid September, it will give them reason to change their decision.

This test is actually done using existing materials and tools that medical centers have and doesn't require any manufacturing or supply chains. I have to imagine most schools in the B1G have major medical centers that could implement this within weeks if not sooner.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Maybe if enough of these tests can be made available by mid September, it will give them reason to change their decision.

Nice little way for the B1G to save face and not admit error. Just go with "New information has come to light on saliva testing, this completely changes our plan for an upcoming season. We will go forward with the purposed schedule, assuming quick saliva tests are available to all of our athletes by late September." 

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This test is actually done using existing materials and tools that medical centers have and doesn't require any manufacturing or supply chains. I have to imagine most schools in the B1G have major medical centers that could implement this within weeks if not sooner.

Wow, that's great news.  How can the Big 10 not reconsider?  There is literally no reason not to play if you can guarantee every player, coach, and official is Covid free.

I also think availability of these tests would be incredible for our overall society.  It would be so nice to be able to take a quick test prior to seeing elderly friends and family.  

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Would have to reopen the decision by Sept. 1st I would imagine. Agreed? 

I haven't heard any reports but are any schools in the conference continuing with training camp practices? Or has everyone basically taken the week off? Would imagine there would have to be a ramp up period let alone planning a schedule