Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I hate the extremes of topics these days. I work in healthcare, COVID should be taken seriously. Masks should be worn. Hands should washed. Large Gatherings should be avoided.

At the same time I understand society needs to move forward as safely as possible. 18-22 Year olds should be able to analyze their own risk and do so without fear of losing their scholarship.

A shutdown/lockdown is not the answer. Neither is going full speed back to normal life. The all or nothing from both sides is exhausting. Yes there will be life after COVID, it's not the end of the world. No COVID is not a hoax, and shouldn't be ignored.  

This is such a great post.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I hate the extremes of topics these days. I work in healthcare, COVID should be taken seriously. Masks should be worn. Hands should washed. Large Gatherings should be avoided.

At the same time I understand society needs to move forward as safely as possible. 18-22 Year olds should be able to analyze their own risk and do so without fear of losing their scholarship.

A shutdown/lockdown is not the answer. Neither is going full speed back to normal life. The all or nothing from both sides is exhausting. Yes there will be life after COVID, it's not the end of the world. No COVID is not a hoax, and shouldn't be ignored.  

I fully agree with you that we need to continue to take a balanced approach to this pandemic.  There are multiple factors at play including:

• The virus itself that has resulted in many dying, especially those in nursing homes or deemed high risk
  • The lockdown impacts on mental health which includes depression, addiction, anxiety and more.  On a personal note I know of nobody that has died from Covid but in the past month has 2 siblings of my high school classmates that committed suicide, and a recent study showed that one in four Americans under the age of 25 have considered suicide
  • The financial affects that are harming and in some cases ending livelihoods.  

I feel like we have taken this balanced approach for the most part these past few months, and while we have seen some surges in places like California, Texas and Florida, those were addressed when they happened, and we continue to see flattening of the curve in most states.  We also have continued to see ample ventilators and hospital capacity which is good news.  

So as it relates to football, it really felt like a balanced approach for the BIG would have been to let the athletes play with few or no fans, and should there be outbreaks within a particular team, address it at that point in time.  I think baseball has shown you can keep playing while living with this risk.  And the risk to the BIG athletes is not going away because their sport was canceled.  They will continue to be at risk taking classes, living in dorms, and now they have more time to intermix with the rest of the student population.

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

So as it relates to football, it really felt like a balanced approach for the BIG would have been to let the athletes play with few or no fans, and should there be outbreaks within a particular team, address it at that point in time.  I think baseball has shown you can keep playing while living with this risk.  And the risk to the BIG athletes is not going away because their sport was canceled.  They will continue to be at risk taking classes, living in dorms, and now they have more time to intermix with the rest of the student population.

I'm in agreement here. Obviously let kids and coaches opt out if they decide that's best for them. I think it could have been done, and the SEC, ACC, Big 12 will potentially prove it can be done

Side Note: Did anyone see TCU QB from CBluff, as part of COVID protocol they caught a congenital heart defect, and he had a procedure done. The emphasis on athlete health is doing some good. Hopefully a trend that continues. Hats off to the Big 12.

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm in agreement here. Obviously let kids and coaches opt out if they decide that's best for them. I think it could have been done, and the SEC, ACC, Big 12 will potentially prove it can be done

Side Note: Did anyone see TCU QB from CBluff, as part of COVID protocol they caught a congenital heart defect, and he had a procedure done. The emphasis on athlete health is doing some good. Hopefully a trend that continues. Hats off to the Big 12.

That is a great story about the TCU QB. I know my father-in-law passed away at the age of 51 from cardiomyopathy so I learned about heart defects.  In many cases its something genetic so both of my kids have been tested for it and will continue to be tested as they get older.  But my father-in-laws cardiologist said the cardiomyopathy condition is also brought about due to a virus that may attack the heart.  I am not surprised that Covid may result in these heart issues as past viruses have also done the same.  

I hope this story gets more publicity as there really are a lot of positives for the athletes themselves (both physical and mental health) from being allowed to play a sport that many of them have spent their whole lives working on.

22 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I fully agree with you that we need to continue to take a balanced approach to this pandemic.  There are multiple factors at play including:

• The virus itself that has resulted in many dying, especially those in nursing homes or deemed high risk
  • The lockdown impacts on mental health which includes depression, addiction, anxiety and more.  On a personal note I know of nobody that has died from Covid but in the past month has 2 siblings of my high school classmates that committed suicide, and a recent study showed that one in four Americans under the age of 25 have considered suicide
  • The financial affects that are harming and in some cases ending livelihoods.  

I feel like we have taken this balanced approach for the most part these past few months, and while we have seen some surges in places like California, Texas and Florida, those were addressed when they happened, and we continue to see flattening of the curve in most states.  We also have continued to see ample ventilators and hospital capacity which is good news.  

For the most part, I agree with this.

I'm frustrated that Warren basically cancelled the season without consulting the ADs to see how it could be done.  We also need to pay attention to the other side of the equation with addictions/suicides...etc.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

For the most part, I agree with this.

I'm frustrated that Warren basically cancelled the season without consulting the ADs to see how it could be done.  We also need to pay attention to the other side of the equation with addictions/suicides...etc.

Woo-hoo...glad we can agree on something!!

50 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Oklahoma was no longer our rival and we only played them half as often once the Big 12 formed, we had two recent opportunities to beat CU and screwed the pooch both times, and we can still go on hating Texas forever without being a part of their $h!tty conference.

I have a lot of great Nebraska football memories, but seeing the Huskers beat the Longhorns in person in the 1999 Big 12 Championship is definitely one of my all-time favorites. I can still hear the chants of "Opie, Opie, Opie" directed at Major Applewhite ringing in my head. 

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Before you say it, I'm sorry, @Enhance

FWIW I personally didn't mind the initial media conversation at the beginning, but 62 posts + some politics later and it became a bit too much.

Anybody involved in that conversation can find their posts in the Woodshed.

Lastly, and this is for all - please stop the political tangents and commentary. I really don't want to start handing out warnings over this stuff but that is the next course of action. I understand/appreciate some of the crossover elements of the conversation but we have repeatedly asked to keep those conversations points out of this thread. We were doing really solid for awhile there and I would kindly ask we veer back in that direction.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The whole reason they had built in a couple of bye weeks was in case a team needed to reschedule.  I don't understand the timidness of not giving their plan the good old college try. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

The Big Ten sucks far, far less than the Big 12. 

And we have history with these teams. We've been in this conference half the lifetime of  the players on our roster. They barely remember a time when the Huskers weren't in the Big Ten. 

If money isn't important to you, then quit your job and become a pauper. For the rest of the world, we need money - it's the tool our society has created to make life function. 

Were we going broke? Stop being dramatic. So who is our rival? No one. What meaningful games have we played in? Does any team respect us? Care about our history? Nope because it all happened outside of the big ten. Moving to the big ten is like stripping away your history and prestige because no one here cares or respects what we did- again because we didn’t pile up those wins on Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Ohio state 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Were we going broke? Stop being dramatic. So who is our rival? No one. What meaningful games have we played in? Does any team respect us? Care about our history? Nope because it all happened outside of the big ten. Moving to the big ten is like stripping away your history and prestige because no one here cares or respects what we did- again because we didn’t pile up those wins on Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Ohio state 

The only history Nebraska has left in the Big 12 is OU, KSU, KU, OSU and ISU. None of those schools were legitimate rivals either as OU looks at Texas as a rival more than Nebraska. We really have no more history with Texas, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech or West Virgiana than we do with the B1G at this point. Plus, the Texas schools over shadow everything in the Big 12 now so there is no history or prestige to go back to. Nebraska's history and prestige was all but run over when the Big 8 ended and our historical dominance stopped. People in their 30s or younger really have no memory of the Big 8 and the B1G feels more normal than it ever will for the older generations. Plus the next time conferences realign there is a good chance the Big 12 folds so there is no reason to go back to it honestly.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1