Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Yeah. You gotta wonder about all these plans to play games in these hot spots. Doesn't seem like a really smart thing to do, does it?

It does not seem smart, but if football is canceled here in the south, the bough will break. Racial tension is high. The Covid mandate tension is high. The political tension is extreme high. Public Schools aren’t back  And now two hurricanes in two days are coming. The gas and oil industry has tanked. The shrimping industry has tanked.  All entertainment is, and has been,  canceled. There is no relief and no distraction. 

It feels like an apocalypse Is coming. Similar to what it felt like the Cold War felt like in the early 80’s through my child’s eye view. But if CFB and/or maybe even high school football is canceled this fall, hell will break loose here. Seems over the top dramatic, but we’re hanging by a thin line. 

31 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Don’t take my word for it, Forbes says the data says football is declining and the decline is accelerating, also the future for football is as a regional sport 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rogerpielke/2020/01/28/the-decline-of-football-is-real-and-its-accelerating/amp/

Right, so where's the connection that this is the downfall of the PAC12 and PAC12 only? 

34 minutes ago, Undone said:

Well, you have to admit that long-term concussion trauma is a pretty huge deal. We all love the sport dearly and that part will probably never change for any of us - but the CTE stuff is real and if you're the parent of a young man there are some decisions to be taken seriously there.

One of the hard parts is that when you're a professional you get paid to do it and you're of consenting age to sign up for that damage. But getting to that point, and the fact that hardly anybody goes pro? Kind of

yes cte is a factor, but like anything else, when something is very important to you, they are probably going to overlook it more than a place where football isn’t important.

Im not sure why this is some kind of argument, if you’ve ever lived in other parts of the country like I have, there are definite cultural differences. 

• Plus1 2

Nebraska lags behind and traditionally Has had very high participation rates, especially in rural areas. Some schools out in western or rural areas of Nebraska often times had every single male in school playing. If you haven’t gone to see some of those teams like david city Aquinas or McCook play, it’s quite a deal. 

Our small towns are dying, that is one thing. Our numbers didn’t drop off heavily like so many of my friends teams In California and the northeast  did back in the early and mid 2000s , ours came much later. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Most people will probably ultimately be exposed to coronavirus in the U.S. There's no vaccine.

A virus runs its course and then either dies off when herd immunity sets in within a population and/or it mutates into a new strain.

This is a bit simplified, for example measles is known for rarely or slowly mutating, but it never died off. Every year there is an entirely new population with no immunity to a virus so it can spread. Now that means it's less of a threat to adults as they hold immunity, but most viruses don't just die off with herd immunity, they become childhood diseases. Also, there's no vaccine yet would be the keyword there.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

yes cte is a factor, but like anything else, when something is very important to you, they are probably going to overlook it more than a place where football isn’t important.

Im not sure why this is some kind of argument, if you’ve ever lived in other parts of the country like I have, there are definite cultural differences. 

I spend a lot of time in other parts of the country and I’m not seeing that in the north east. College football has always been not as popular there. But, the NFL is still huge. 

Los Angeles has always had problems sustaining an NFL team. 

11 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Nebraska lags behind and traditionally Has had very high participation rates, especially in rural areas. Some schools out in western or rural areas of Nebraska often times had every single male in school playing. If you haven’t gone to see some of those teams like david city Aquinas or McCook play, it’s quite a deal. 

Our small towns are dying, that is one thing. Our numbers didn’t drop off heavily like so many of my friends teams In California and the northeast  did back in the early and mid 2000s , ours came much later. 

So we shouldn't be worried about the Nebraska decrease in participation, but the smaller decrease in participation in California will mark the end of Pac12 football?

• Plus1 1

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

This is a bit simplified, for example measles is known for rarely or slowly mutating, but it never died off. Every year there is an entirely new population with no immunity to a virus so it can spread. Now that means it's less of a threat to adults as they hold immunity, but most viruses don't just die off with herd immunity, they become childhood diseases. Also, there's no vaccine yet would be the keyword there.

It was a bit of a simplification of the overview, yes.

When you say "every year there is an entirely new population with no immunity," I assume you're talking about children that are born.

In a healthy person who had measles as a child, here's the way it works: Your body has immunity, but, your immune system is boosted by a "reminder" to continue that immunity. So when people were around a child who was sick with measles your immune system got that reminder. This helped continue the lifelong immunity.

The same still seems to be true of C19 now that we know that T-cell immunity is both strong and long-lasting. But as you say, enter stage right the issue of a virus' propensity to mutate. I really think part of the problem is that people aren't educated on these things. Which is unfortunate, because honestly the concepts are very simple.

The extrapolation here is that if (and notice I'm saying "if") C19 mutates similarly to the flu, having the hope that "a coronavirus vaccine will eliminate coronavirus" is truly foolish; the flu vaccine has not eradicated the flu.

38 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Can you spell out some of the cultural differences?  I've been to both pro and college games in: Washington, California, Texas, Kansas, Florida, Louisiana and Georgia

I've been to college games in : Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, tennessee, oregon and michigan.

Football is football and there will never be a scenario where a power 5 conference declines to nothing football wise while others dont see a similar impact. 

Its an argument because u said the PAC12 is basically going to cease to exist due to football being a thing of "americana past" that people wanna see go away...

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I spend a lot of time in other parts of the country and I’m not seeing that in the north east. College football has always been not as popular there. But, the NFL is still huge. 

Los Angeles has always had problems sustaining an NFL team. 

The nfl means nothing to the statement that the game is dying when high school and youth numbers tank and the future players and fans disappear.

My best friend lives on Long Island, their high school had 8 incoming freshmen out, 5 years ago they had 30.

gone are the j.v and frosh teams and the young kids get killed playing varsity.  so they don’t stick around. if you know anyone up there In the northeast high school or youth, they will tell you the game has tAnked there. Parents Pooh Pooh the idea of even playing up there, snobbish almost like you are an uneducated idiot if you let your kids play

15 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Can you spell out some of the cultural differences?  I've been to both pro and college games in: Washington, California, Texas, Kansas, Florida, Louisiana and Georgia

I've been to college games in : Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, tennessee, oregon and michigan.

Football is football and there will never be a scenario where a power 5 conference declines to nothing football wise while others dont see a similar impact. 

Its an argument because u said the PAC12 is basically going to cease to exist due to football being a thing of "americana past" that people wanna see go away...

Have you lived in any of those places?