Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

9 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

If you think our country loves football equally everywhere and that we are the same culturally across our country, you couldn’t be more wrong. 

The point of my post was that it NEVER has loved football the same in all regions.  

Football participation is dropping in HS all across the country.  Some more than others.  But, that doesn't mean all of a sudden the colleges in those areas are going to drop football.  I know people who love watching Husker football.  But, really aren't a fan of their kids playing it in HS.  I know people who didn't play in HS that are big Husker fans.

So...the statement that all of a sudden the Pac 12 is going to not exist is far fetched.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The point of my post was that it NEVER has loved football the same in all regions.  

Football participation is dropping in HS all across the country.  Some more than others.  But, that doesn't mean all of a sudden the colleges in those areas are going to drop football.  I know people who love watching Husker football.  But, really aren't a fan of their kids playing it in HS.  I know people who didn't play in HS that are big Husker fans.

So...the statement that all of a sudden the Pac 12 is going to not exist is far fetched.

This was my entire point as well. I expect participation to drop and plateau in places....but Pac 12 football isn't going anywhere.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

This was my entire point as well. I expect participation to drop and plateau in places....but Pac 12 football isn't going anywhere.

And the weird thing is this tangent is based off my statement yesterday that the Big XII is going to be the first P5 conference to fold. Which I stand behind, because it's a business venture held together by disparate cultures and entities, without the solid, unified core of the SEC, ACC, Big Ten or PAC-12.

The heart of the Big XII is the old Big 8. Of those, only five remain - Oklahoma, Okie State, Iowa State, Kansas & Kansas State. Of those, only one is a marquee team. The other four have no cachet. Only Oklahoma is a blue blood.

Of the old SWC refugees the Big XII pulled in to screw Nebraska, only three remain (although they've since added TCU), and of those only Texas is a marquee team. Nobody cares if Baylor, Texas Tech or TCU come or go. And Nebraska doesn't have a history with those teams more relevant than any team in the Big Ten. 

This is all to say that, were Nebraska to go back to the Big XII, they'd just hasten their own demise. It's a lackluster conference and the least relevant of the P5. Its two big names have had one foot out the door since before Nebraska left, and that's not going to change just because a Husker team needing to rebuild comes begging back, hat in hand.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

If you think our country loves football equally everywhere and that we are the same culturally across our country, you couldn’t be more wrong. 

I never said we are the same culturally across our country.  I said football is loved and appreciated every part of the country I've been and I've detailed that to you.  

Quit dancing around your half baked claim and just take it back. You literally said the PAC12 isn't stable and its due to the west not being behind football and considering it a past of "Americana".... You should go out west and make that claim in Eugene, see how the ducks and nike feel about that stance you're placing on them.

Maybe go down to LA and catch a Trojan/Bruin matchup in the coliseum or rose bowl.... or take a lovely trip up to Washington for a huskies game and witness a world class environment packed in a smaller yet more intimate stadium

do these areas have other options? they sure do, a lot more pro sports teams and collections of sports to follow so perhaps the fanbase isnt as rabid as a typical top flight college program.... but just because a fan splits their football energry between orgeon duck saturdays and seattle seahawk sundays doesnt mean they love football any less than a fan in the midwest 100% focused on their college team

• Plus1 3

I’ve never suggested that Nebraska returns to the big 12. What I am saying is all the evidence points to the fact football being regional in the future. Those regions for power 5 will not be distributed equallgg Th across the United States, long term it doesn’t survive power 5 in the northeast and far west. Texas and Oklahoma will never be without football, their culture would accept it. Other states would and will. 

54 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Can you spell out some of the cultural differences?  I've been to both pro and college games in: Washington, California, Texas, Kansas, Florida, Louisiana and Georgia

I've been to college games in : Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, tennessee, oregon and michigan.

Football is football and there will never be a scenario where a power 5 conference declines to nothing football wise while others dont see a similar impact. 

Its an argument because u said the PAC12 is basically going to cease to exist due to football being a thing of "americana past" that people wanna see go away...

You seem to be saying here that football is equally loved in all of these places. 

23 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I never said we are the same culturally across our country.  I said football is loved and appreciated every part of the country I've been and I've detailed that to you.  

Quit dancing around your half baked claim and just take it back. You literally said the PAC12 isn't stable and its due to the west not being behind football and considering it a past of "Americana".... You should go out west and make that claim in Eugene, see how the ducks and nike feel about that stance you're placing on them.

Maybe go down to LA and catch a Trojan/Bruin matchup in the coliseum or rose bowl.... or take a lovely trip up to Washington for a huskies game and witness a world class environment packed in a smaller yet more intimate stadium

do these areas have other options? they sure do, a lot more pro sports teams and collections of sports to follow so perhaps the fanbase isnt as rabid as a typical top flight college program.... but just because a fan splits their football energry between orgeon duck saturdays and seattle seahawk sundays doesnt mean they love football any less than a fan in the midwest 100% focused on their college team

Yes the ducks draw to their tiny stadium thanks to China sweat shop nike. I’ve lived in Seattle/ Renton saw the buskers play on the lake and did a 5 month stint in California in 2015, and worked for a company there for 2 years and know many coaches there. I worked with a program in Bellevue Washington for a short time.  I know what I’m talking about. One of my better friends just moved from Chino California to ft worth, mainly for football and cultural reasons. 

How does Oregon state, Washington state, cal, usc, UCLA , Colorado draw? USC and I UCLA hasn’t been a big deal for forever. 

what do their high school and youth numbers look like? Not good 

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The fastest growing participant youth sport is now flag football. The numbers for full contact youth football were declining long before you got a red state/blue state bee up your bonnet. According to my brother, a high school teacher in Lincoln, it wasn't concussion danger, helicopter moms, or regulatory zeal that brought participation down from our glory days, it was students who'd rather get an after school job and buy a car than have a coach yelling at them during wind sprints. 

Maybe we're a bunch of pussies. But Mike Ditka, Brett Favre and other football warriors have said that knowing what they know now, they'd never let their kids play the sport. 

We’ve been getting after school jobs to buy cars since the 1950s , that’s nothing new at all. Brett farce  is an idiot and he did a great job of tutoring Armstrong into the yolo interception machine he became- thanks Brett, great job lol 

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is all to say that, were Nebraska to go back to the Big XII, they'd just hasten their own demise. It's a lackluster conference and the least relevant of the P5. Its two big names have had one foot out the door since before Nebraska left, and that's not going to change just because a Husker team needing to rebuild comes begging back, hat in hand.

In fact, I wouldn't put it past those two marquee programs to draw Nebraska in.....then leave...leaving us to deal with the mess.

Going back to the Big XII is a horrible idea and thank God it will never happen.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’ve never suggested that Nebraska returns to the big 12. What I am saying is all the evidence points to the hand if football being regional in the future. Those regions for power 5 will not be distributed equallgg Th across the United States, long term it doesn’t survive power 5 in the northeast and far west. Texas and Oklahoma will never be without football, their culture would accept it. Other states would and will. 

Penn State is really the only program in modern times to have any real national success in the north east.  I don't see that going away any time soon due to lack of fans.  

California basically always has had just USC and to a lesser extent UCLA.  Their fan bases have always been fickle and show up only when their teams are good.  

These areas will eb and flow with the times just like every other part of the country.  College football has almost always been a midwest/south east sport.  That doesn't mean other areas haven't had or aren't going to have major programs.  

14 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Yes the ducks draw to their tiny stadium thanks to China sweat shop nike. I’ve lived in Seattle/ Renton saw the buskers play on the lake and did a 5 month stint in California in 2015, and worked for a company there for 2 years and know many coaches there. I worked with a program in Bellevue Washington for a short time.  I know what I’m talking about. One of my better friends just moved from Chino California to ft worth, mainly for football and cultural reasons. 

How does Oregon state, Washington state, cal, usc, UCLA , Colorado draw? USC and I UCLA hasn’t been a big deal for forever. 

what do their high school and youth numbers look like? Not good 

The article you provided, literally shows the same trend, if not worse in the states you say this isnt a problem at

Seems like you, @Omaha fan are guilty of moving the yard sticks about 20 different times today.  If what you were trying to point across is that PAC12 draws less fans, coolio... i coulda done a simply google search to find that out.

Not once have u explained how some of these misguided stats equates to the PAC12 folding as a conference lolol.  you seem to know quite a few coaches out there- I must have missed the "world is ending" quotes relative to football dying out west.. you'd think a few coaches woulda commented on that if its truly as widespread amongst your "friends"

Also, news to me the PAC12 only gets in talent from kids on the west coast. Oregon's loaded recruiting classes most solely only be kids from oregon and neighboring washington and california.  Once these states "view football as nothing more than americana past and want it to go away" their progrums are surely in peril :blink:

6 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Why haS  the college football - want to play vs don’t want to play separated right down the red state/ blue state line? 

why is football so very popular in the hard core red states while most of the blue states it’s an afterthought or barely hanging on? 

bro just stop... You're in your own head cooking up fake stories if u really think football is nothing more than afterthought or barely hanging on lololol

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Penn State is really the only program in modern times to have any real national success in the north east.  I don't see that going away any time soon due to lack of fans.  

California basically always has had just USC and to a lesser extent UCLA.  Their fan bases have always been fickle and show up only when their teams are good.  

These areas will eb and flow with the times just like every other part of the country.  College football has almost always been a midwest/south east sport.  That doesn't mean other areas haven't had or aren't going to have major programs.  

Ok

I’m glad you can admit that the passion people have for football varies in our country. The people in California and New Jersey care less about the game and it’s not part of the culture like it is in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama. Georgia. Tennessee , Florida, South Carolina  etc Pennsylvania is coal country, it’s not New York, mass, conn, Vermont, nh,  Maine etc 

over time with as Forbes calls it the rapidly declining state of the game and it becoming a regional sport , the regions it survives in will not be the west or the northeast. The pac 12 has already shown they don’t care about football, their teams are weak with exception of Oregon and they are on the decline.