Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

47 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Notice how it’s cut off when Moos addresses people in the stands. 

It’s probably gonna be like other sports, where the games will go on, but fans won’t be there. TV money is more important than butts in seats at the game itself...

At this point I'd be fairly surprised if they don't at least play the games.  As you said, at least get the TV money.

But I think there will be some amount of fans there.  Whether that is 25% or 50% or 100% I have no idea.  And if it's less than 100% figuring out how that works at places like Nebraska will be ... interesting.

• Plus1 1

I guess I don't know how they play games without people in the stands.  Because doesn't that also mean no tailgating?  So they are going to close down all the lots?

So, students will be on campus, but stadium will be empty and the lots will be closed up but the bars will be open?

32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I guess I don't know how they play games without people in the stands.  Because doesn't that also mean no tailgating?  So they are going to close down all the lots?

So, students will be on campus, but stadium will be empty and the lots will be closed up but the bars will be open?

A number of campuses are not going to have students on campus. I'm not sure how many campuses that is though.

Word is the athletic department is working on two major scenarios: 33% capacity and 50% capacity.  Or 100% but they already know how to do that.

I thought these were some interesting numbers - the breakdown of how the total seats are currently allocated:

General public season tickets: about 66,220 (roughly 76%)

Faculty/Staff tickets: 7,052 (8.23%)

Student tickets: 6,983 (8.12%)

Visiting team: 3,000 (3.51%)

Suite tickets: 2,528 (2.94%)

Band section: 516 (0.62%)

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Butts in seats = dollars to local venders.

Local venders going bankrupt and losing their livelihood would devastate the university and the city.

Therefore, to think Moos is not doing everything possible to place butts in the the seat is simply a false thought. 

I think at this point we can say that the games will be played, even if the stadium is empty. And if the stadium isn't at full capacity, a lot of people who would otherwise be there will probably be watching the game at local sports bars and such. So potentially, it could actually be a boon for those businesses. I guess in theory, the worst case scenario there is that every game looks like a road game.

But the question is, will people avoid sports bars due to coronavirus fears? Probably no way to say at this point. And what about Runza and Valentino's? Probably no way for them to make up for lost revenue, other than maybe bringing some TVs into their restaurants for people to watch on.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

What do you doods think they will do about tailgating?  

It honestly seems like people’s fear of  COVID-19 is losing steam at a rapid pace lately. Part of that might be because the focus has shifted after the George Floyd incident in Minneapolis. I honestly expect it things to be a lot closer to normal then people are projecting. 

It sounds like testing is becoming more widely available and the death to infection rate is trending the right direction as well. People are tired of being cooped up and are willing to risk the chances of catching the rona. 

If people are allowed to have large gatherings like we’ve seen the past two weeks with the protests and such, I don’t see how having tailgates are a whole lot different 

• Plus1 3

9 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

It honestly seems like people’s fear of  COVID-19 is losing steam at a rapid pace lately. Part of that might be because the focus has shifted after the George Floyd incident in Minneapolis. I honestly expect it things to be a lot closer to normal then people are projecting. 

It sounds like testing is becoming more widely available and the death to infection rate is trending the right direction as well. People are tired of being cooped up and are willing to risk the chances of catching the rona. 

If people are allowed to have large gatherings like we’ve seen the past two weeks with the protests and such, I don’t see how having tailgates are a whole lot different 

I think about the same. 

10 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

It'll depend on whether the large gatherings result in a lot of hospitalizations or deaths.

The daily case rate has been more or less constant while the daily death rate has been dropping, which suggests the disease is less lethal than it was previously, so that's really good news. Hopefully it stays that way.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It'll depend on whether the large gatherings result in a lot of hospitalizations or deaths.

The daily case rate has been more or less constant while the daily death rate has been dropping, which suggests the disease is less lethal than it was previously, so that's really good news. Hopefully it stays that way.

Here In Louisiana we just opened phase 2(bars, restaurant dining, other stuff). Little league parks are packed! I think there is a 50% capacity rule monitored by no one. Our new cases have way slowed and death rate has decreased as well. From everything I have read, the virus is difficult to spread  in temperatures above 77 degrees. 

it’s still early in our reopening though. 

43 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Here In Louisiana we just opened phase 2(bars, restaurant dining, other stuff). Little league parks are packed! I think there is a 50% capacity rule monitored by no one. Our new cases have way slowed and death rate has decreased as well. From everything I have read, the virus is difficult to spread  in temperatures above 77 degrees. 

it’s still early in our reopening though. 

I talked to a researcher that says there's a theory that vitamin D (more sunlight) might help in immune response to covid, but still in the early stages of testing so still VERY speculative.