Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 11/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't know why I even click on this thread anymore. It is just a post about someone else's game getting cancelled that I care nothing about whether they play or don't play.

A small part of me hopes that Nebraska and Wisconsin have opponents cancel on the same week.  I would really like to see us play them this season.    

• Plus1 2

Out of Bounds obtained a copy of the Big Ten’s football scheduling slide deck, which was dated Sept. 11, 2020 – five days before the conference officially announced its return to play – and the deck outlines the other scheduling models that the conference considered. Northwestern Athletic Director Jim Phillips provided the scheduling models to the rest of the Big Ten’s athletic directors in order to get feedback before the slide deck was shared with the Council of Presidents/Chancellors.

A copy of the slides is available at the bottom of this newsletter. Public records requests for a copy of the slide deck were previously denied by Illinois, Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers, as were appeals submitted to the Nebraska Attorney General and Illinois Attorney General.

When the Big Ten delayed the start of its season from the athletic directors’ desired start of Oct. 16, the conference lost the built-in bye week for each team. By the second week of Big Ten play, the conference was forced to cancel Wisconsin’s trip to Nebraska. The Big Ten also had one game canceled in Week 10 (Purdue at Wisconsin) and Week 11 (Ohio State at Maryland).

One of the listed disadvantages on the slide deck for the October Kickoff model was “limited to no rest built into the regular season schedule,” and now, the only rest comes if a game is canceled.

• Plus1 1

This is still an interesting thread, because while it's clear that games will be played and television revenue shared, it's still not clear if we can call it a season, rationalize a champion, or count the stats. 

As weird as this clusterf**k is,  I watch the Nebraska game with the same rooting obsession I've always had. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is still an interesting thread, because while it's clear that games will be played and television revenue shared, it's still not clear if we can call it a season, rationalize a champion, or count the stats. 

As weird as this clusterf**k is,  I watch the Nebraska game with the same rooting obsession I've always had. 

I see no reason why this isn't a "season".  We are playing games and trying to win a division to get to the CCG.  This conference championship shouldn't mean any less than the rest.

33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Which means we really love Nebraska football. 

a sick, delusional, hurtful love, but love none the less 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see no reason why this isn't a "season".  We are playing games and trying to win a division to get to the CCG.  This conference championship shouldn't mean any less than the rest.

Still to be decided: does a 7-1 Northwestern outrank a 5-0 Wisconsin? 

What if the late-starting and cancelation prone Pac 12  only gets a half dozen games under it's belt? 

Does the SEC get rewarded for playing more of its games than the other conferences? 

What if the coronavirus surge gets worse, as many expect it will? What if more marquee match ups get canceled? 

Stuff like that. 

I'm sure we will end up calling it a "season" but it's gonna have asterisks all over the place.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Still to be decided: does a 7-1 Northwestern outrank a 5-0 Wisconsin? 

What if the late-starting and cancelation prone Pac 12  only gets a half dozen games under it's belt? 

Does the SEC get rewarded for playing more of its games than the other conferences? 

What if the coronavirus surge gets worse, as many expect it will? What if more marquee match ups get canceled? 

Stuff like that. 

I'm sure we will end up calling it a "season" but it's gonna have asterisks all over the place.

Those are good questions.  But, I don't see an asterisk (at least within our conference).  Everyone is playing under the same pandemic and the same rules.  It's a different season than usual.  But, it's still a season and we will crown a conference champion at the end.

A win last weekend over PSU, is a win over PSU.  I don't see a reason why because it's in 2020 that that win doesn't mean as much.

• Plus1 1

@Guy Chamberlin and @BigRedBuster

I agree with both of you.  This season counts as far as a win vs Penn State is a win, no matter what.  That's why I'm watching the Huskers play each week to see where they are as a program.  These games do mean "something".

But I also think the season, in general, will be written off in the future; even the B1G Championiship.  The missing games mean too much as Guy mentioned.

I'm enjoying watching the Huskers, and college FB in general.  But i don't think there will be near enough "body of work" to know for sure who the four playoff teams should be.  Enjoy it, and brace for many conversations of "yeah buts" in the future!

• Plus1 1