Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My guess is the basketball VP wants to avoid the time year that crosses over with peak flu season. Hospitals already feel strain with flu alone. Flu + Covid, will probably mean more restrictions in place. 

I would agree and also people's immune systems are a bit stronger during the warm months.  I believe that's why death rates aren't climbing as fast as case numbers.    

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm failing to see the benefit of these sports organizations trying to move their seasons around to different times of the year.  It's clear that weather doesn't affect the virus like some thought.  This is like some amateur trying to time the stock market.  It just doesn't work.

If you want your sport to be played, just keep the season the same and figure out how to make it more safe.

My guess is the idea of playing in the spring seems to be more of a play on a hope that a vaccine pans out in late 2020 or early 2021.

13 hours ago, skersfan said:

This guy has been talking about this for a long time.  Seems to be closer to correct than most of the others.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6169738032001#sp=show-clips

Give it a couple of weeks and see if the death toll goes up percentage wise.

I hope he is correct.  

He has some good points and he's right about digging deeper into the stats, but he tips his hand with his final statement, blaming the rise in cases on the George Floyd protests and putting nothing on the premature openings in the states now seeing a surge. If you take the deeper dive into the stats as he recommends, there's no basis for this, and the opposite is possible. There's a reason why this doctor works for The Hoover Institute and why Fox News keeps inviting him on. 

Also, nobody is claiming that all recent hospitalizations are COVID related, a claim he wants to refute. But if the number of COVID related hospitalizations is 30%, a patient population that did not exist last year, that is a legitimate concern. Now that we see the surge, we pull the reigns back a bit -- even get Sean Hannity to endorse mask-wearing. I think it's pretty close to the way epidemiologists saw us riding this out.

The lower death toll is very good news, but it doesn't mean caution is unwarranted. Deciding outdoor dining is okay, but holding off on indoor dining for awhile isn't exactly panic. Evidence suggests that Bill DiBlasio and Andrew Cuomo trying to reassure the public, misreading the stats, bickering between themselves, and delaying stringent directives for a single week probably cost greater New York tens of thousands of lives. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is a hot take smh.  The fact that 5% of the study group had antibodies suggests that herd immunity is absolutely achievable - they virus would just need to be more widespread or a vaccine would be needed to help the population create antibodies before it could happen.  

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Herd Immunity guy is the new Run The Ball guy.

Are you suggesting that herd immunity isn't the solution?  Your a proponent of wearing a mask to slow the spread... forever?  Or until a vaccine helps the world's population reach herd immunity?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Are you suggesting that herd immunity isn't the solution?  Your a proponent of wearing a mask to slow the spread... forever?  Or until a vaccine helps the world's population reach herd immunity?

I'm telling you that medical experts have shown that natural herd immunity is not a thing, and you called it a hot take. 

If I have to wear a mask forever, sure, I'll wear a mask forever. Some people are permanently in wheelchairs and they manage to live pretty great lives. It's not the end of the world if we have to change something about how we live. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

This is a hot take smh.  The fact that 5% of the study group had antibodies suggests that herd immunity is absolutely achievable - they virus would just need to be more widespread or a vaccine would be needed to help the population create antibodies before it could happen.  

28,000+ people died to reach 5%. Let's say we're lucky and 50% means herd immunity. 280,000 people would die...

• Plus1 3