Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

People need to pull their heads out of the sand and pay attention to what some of the dr are saying! It’ll most likely react like SARS virus and die off in the summer due to the heat and humidity but it also could return like the flu in the fall and winter but they don’t know for sure most experts are watching Australia and the Southern Hemisphere countries because they are going into their fall season to see if they have a huge surge in cases and so far nothing has happened but they are monitoring it for the next month or two. I whole heartily believe we will have a season that starts on it’s normal date but with some restrictions in place 

59 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

People need to pull their heads out of the sand and pay attention to what some of the dr are saying! It’ll most likely react like SARS virus and die off in the summer due to the heat and humidity but it also could return like the flu in the fall and winter but they don’t know for sure most experts are watching Australia and the Southern Hemisphere countries because they are going into their fall season to see if they have a huge surge in cases and so far nothing has happened but they are monitoring it for the next month or two. I whole heartily believe we will have a season that starts on it’s normal date but with some restrictions in place 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/3881cd527264bc7c99b6b541473c0085e75aa026b6bd99658c56ad9bb55bd96e

I hope those Dr's are right, but I wouldn't bet on it dying off in the summer just by looking at these.

2 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

What sort of restrictions do you envision?  I think that's a big problem right now.  Trying to figure out how they can responsibly put a product on the field even if there are no fans in the stadium.  There seems to be no good ways to keep the players safe outside of unlimited testing capabilities or sequestering.  Both of those would in my opinion be very unlikely at this point.  

7 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What sort of restrictions do you envision?  I think that's a big problem right now.  Trying to figure out how they can responsibly put a product on the field even if there are no fans in the stadium.  There seems to be no good ways to keep the players safe outside of unlimited testing capabilities or sequestering.  Both of those would in my opinion be very unlikely at this point.  

I don't understand why they can't play the games w/ no fans in stands. Seems like the most realistic option and just broadcast games on TV. I understand ticket sales to the games are huge revenue and I don't have an answer for that. Some sort of subscription TV package is all I can say, but at the end of the day, the NCAA has made billions of dollars behind the facade that the sports are for the student athletes, so let the student athletes play their sport.

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

I don't understand why they can't play the games w/ no fans in stands. Seems like the most realistic option and just broadcast games on TV. I understand ticket sales to the games are huge revenue and I don't have an answer for that. Some sort of subscription TV package is all I can say, but at the end of the day, the NCAA has made billions of dollars behind the facade that the sports are for the student athletes, so let the student athletes play their sport.

Seriously?  It’s not just the fans at risk.  Players, coaches, officials TV crews, etc. are not exempt from potentially dying or other bad outcomes from this disease.   The potential PR and legal fallout if a student athlete(s) were to get sick and have a bad outcome all because of careless distancing practices would be tremendous IMO.   If you can’t guarantee reasonable safety measures with a lot of frequent testing, then it’s just not worth it. As much as it would suck without football for a season, there’s way more to life than sports.   

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Seriously?  It’s not just the fans at risk.  Players, coaches, officials TV crews, etc. are not exempt from potentially dying or other bad outcomes from this disease.   The potential PR and legal fallout if a student athlete(s) were to get sick and have a bad outcome all because of careless distancing practices would be tremendous IMO.   If you can’t guarantee reasonable safety measures with a lot of frequent testing, then it’s just not worth it. As much as it would suck without football for a season, there’s way more to life than sports.   

Maybe I should clarify. I would assume teams/officials/coaches would all be able to be tested day of travel and day of game first. Basically, should be possible to screen 500 people to make sure they are safe, play the game, go home. At least much easier than screening 200K people at the gates.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Maybe I should clarify. I would assume teams/officials/coaches would all be able to be tested day of travel and day of game first. Basically, should be possible to screen 500 people to make sure they are safe, play the game, go home. At least much easier than screening 200K people at the gates.

I agree. Testing.  Testing. Testing.  And lots of it.  Only way team sports happen in the fall/winter.  Knowing where we are now with testing, I just can’t see getting there in 5-6 months. The hospital I work at can only test 10 people per day currently.  I do know that when testing capacity improves, and it will, the first batches  of tests aren’t going straight to football teams. 

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

The problem as I see it is the bolded.  These are college kids.  They aren't professional athletes.  Wasn't it in Detroit they had to remove the basketball rims because kids were still going to the parks and playing ball?  I for the life of me can't envision college student athletes practicing, playing, and just going home.  With schedules set well in advance, all it takes is just a few to not follow the rules to completely upend the entire college football season.  I would have to assume if one team had even one player test positive that they'd be done for at least two weeks or longer.  What does this do to the upcoming schedule not only for them but the teams they were to play? 

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

The problem as I see it is the bolded.  These are college kids.  They aren't professional athletes.  Wasn't it in Detroit they had to remove the basketball rims because kids were still going to the parks and playing ball?  I for the life of me can't envision college student athletes practicing, playing, and just going home.  With schedules set well in advance, all it takes is just a few to not follow the rules to completely upend the entire college football season.  I would have to assume if one team had even one player test positive that they'd be done for at least two weeks or longer.  What does this do to the upcoming schedule not only for them but the teams they were to play? 

You wouldn't care much what they do in their spare time. You test them before travel, any positives don't travel. You test them gameday, any positives stay in hotel and fly home next day on seperate flight/bus. They come up positive, they don't play. Might be enough incentive for them to follow social distancing rules 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

You wouldn't care much what they do in their spare time. You test them before travel, any positives don't travel. You test them gameday, any positives stay in hotel and fly home next day on seperate flight/bus. They come up positive, they don't play. Might be enough incentive for them to follow social distancing rules 

What about Fall Camp and Game Week practices?  You'd have to test daily for those as well.  100-200 people/day (All FB staff & players) multiplied by lets say 75-85 practices and 13 games a season.  One the high end, that's 19,600 tests for one program per season.  So for all 130 or so FBS programs that's over 2.5 million tests for the season.  What does a test cost?  IDK, but that has to be factored in too.  

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What about Fall Camp and Game Week practices?  You'd have to test daily for those as well.  100-200 people/day (All FB staff & players) multiplied by lets say 75-85 practices and 13 games a season.  One the high end, that's 19,600 tests for one program per season.  So for all 130 or so FBS programs that's over 2.5 million tests for the season.  What does a test cost?  IDK, but that has to be factored in too.  

Again, if kids are on campus there will be games. If not, not gonna happen. 

• Plus1 1